Hostel Old Observatory Qingdao

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Hostel Old Observatory Qingdao" at 21 Guanxiang Er Road.)

21 Guanxiang Er Road, Shinan District, Qingdao, Shandong Province, China
+86 (532) 8282 2626
+86 (532) 8282 2266

How is Hostel Old Observatory Qingdao rated on other websites?

n/a

Most dysfunctional hostel I've ever stayed in.
Although there are some good points to this place, I have to say the bad points out number those, here's my list. I booked a 4 bed dorm, as on the website, when I arrived, they moved me to a 8 bed dorm, which was so new it still stunk of paint. Very dysfunctional check-in, it took about 5 staff approx 10 mins to check me in, they seemed to call a few places in the process. They didn't come over as friendly at all. And in the end they didn't even provide a 'Temporary Residence Registration Form'; which by the way is a legal requirement in China, and was very surprised as this is YHA. The dorm was tightly packed, the bathrooms were dirty, and having a shower was a nightmare. If you want to sit and use your laptop you have a few options -- your dorm bed, the reception sofa, the small bar on tall seats, or outside. The dining area is about the only place you could use your laptop for things like writing, but in the evening this is usually gate-crashed by the staff. The guests were all guys, some drunk, and came with bad habits; watching movies on their dorm beds, without using headphones, turning the lights on, and talking loudly at 11pm. They even used my soap and shower gel. There is supposedly a 'free bbq' which they brag about on arrival. I arrived 20 mins after it opened, all the food was gone, so had to go to another restaurant anyway. Annoying as I would have gone much earlier. Breakfast -- expensive, dysfunctional service, and again slow. Took about 20 mins. In the end I even had to make my own coffee. The breakfast wasn't really that good, and a bit expensive for what you get. To top it off, the tables were dirty, and they even asked if I had paid when I finished (which I had when I ordered). There are some good points to this place however. The view is good. The bed mattresses are slightly better than near-by hostels. Would be nice outside on the roof in the summer, a good place for drinking and chatting. Overall, I was very disappointed, especially considering I had just come from another hostel just 10 mins walk from this one which is far better in many ways, cheaper, and the location is more convenient. I suggest not to book a dorm here, only the private rooms might be worth considering, but they can't be really considered budget prices.
Daniel
(English)
2011-04-15

Funky
This is a funky hostel in a bizarre location (on top of a hill) in a great town. The dorms were very clean, with a TV, and a great selection of English channels.
Billy
(Australia)
2009-07-08

Nice Spot!
I live a hundred yards from this hostel and it is in a great spot -- on top of a hill in the very charismatic Old-Town.
Marcus
2008-05-14

Downtown with great view
The hostel is in the old town center, where I felt quite like a European city rather than a Chinese one. I stayed in the dorm, very clean with great city view. Going around is easy and we hosted a big Aussie BBQ party outside of the hostel! I like it very much.
AJ