790 on George Backpackers

790 on George Backpackers is a barebones, reasonably priced hostel with no services and below-par cleanliness. This hostel is is ok for an overnight stay where you can move on once you've had time to research your options.

790 George is definitely a backpackers hostel; it's located in an area of Sydney surrounded by at least twenty hostel options. There are no parking options. You will easily locate the facility as it is on one of the two mail thoroughfares of the city center (790 George). There is a free bus line -- the 555 bus -- that circles a few stops away and goes right in front of the facility and can be caught just a few blocks over in either direction. It's a hop on/hop off, so anywhere along this bus route you can jump off to catch a sight and then continue on all the way to the Sydney Harbour and then back to the hostel.

The dorm rooms are rather small with no hooks for clothes or to dry a towel (carry a plastic coat hanger as a makeshift laundry line); the four-share has lockers and two sets of bunk beds. Think "Animal House," for those who remember it -- this is just about the shock you will receive. The lockers are adequate to store most luggage.

The shared bathrooms are adequate and are located on every other floor -- prepare to walk the stairs, as the elevators are slow. The shower floor requires flip flops and there are no hooks for towel, clothes, or soap dish. There is a small bench for belongings.

The common area of this hostel is a couch in front of reception just off the street. There tend to be a lot of people hanging out in the front of the door. This is a nonsmoking facility, which seems to be the norm in the hostels in Sydney. The facility has common areas on two separate floors and an elevator and stairs to the floors. The shared common areas are on the second and seventh floors with the kitchen in the basement. The areas have a couch, chairs, table, TV and computers for internet connection, but no free Wi-Fi. The hallways are cramped at checkout time, because carrying luggage up/down stairs can be challenging.

Summary

Overall 790 George is acceptable -- there are better and a lot of way worse hostels. We were allowed to see the room in advance of check in, so we went to the common rooms and bathrooms to see if it was liveable. The security is by card key access to all rooms, common areas, and baths. If a few dollars are going to break your bank, then it is an acceptable location, facility, and amenities. If you can spare a few extra, do so and try elsewhere.

by Smyers
January 2011

How is 790 on George Backpackers rated on other websites?
790 on George Backpackers Reviews from the Web
4   Ok for what it is I decided to try 790 for a change over as I didn't think my other choice's $38/night was worth it for just two nights. 790 looks tired, but the bathrooms were surprisingly ok for what they were. The 24hr reception didn't seem to be 24hrs either night -- had to follow people in and wait for reception to turn up. However, they were understanding when I lost the room key and didn't charge a fee for it. I stubbed my toe on the way down the ladder (my fault, not an anything of the facilities) and they kindly gave me a band aid (it was bleeding). So given the customer service (that is, when they were there), that made me bump it up to a 4 star ranking. I think worth a try if you're only staying a few nights, and for what it was, a good cheaper alternative in overpriced Sydney.  , age 24, Australian ()
4   Homey feeling ahhhh the 790 on george has a bit of my heart. the staff treat you like family! you eat like a family! and it was clean, and safe. Great location, middle of George street in Sydney so you're in walking distance of the opera house, darling harbour, the aquarium, and basically anything else awesome.  , Canadian ()
4   Not that bad Very well located (same block as Central YHA and Wake Up!), this hostel is quite clean even if there was a hitch in the bathrooms (one sink not ok). TV rooms, kitchen and generally speaking common rooms could get bigger. Doors are quite noisy -- this can be an issue when people get to sleep. Otherwise, I found the staff really nice and helpful. Good security (don't forget your swipe card) to access your room, common spaces and the building by night. Finally, my experience was nice there.  , Europe ()
2   Not great We stayed here over new year 2008-09 as everywhere else in Sydney had a seven- or fourteen-night minimum stay, as we only wanted five. Our room was dirty (like hadn't been cleaned at all) and even when the cleaner had been in later all that had changed was the bin was empty. Linen was dirty and I had to ask for it to be changed. Bathrooms were dirty and absolutely swimming in water. The kitchen was a joke -- not nearly enough pots, plates, cutlery for even half the people staying there. Security was really good though -- swipe cards to get into the main building, common rooms, bedrooms, and bathrooms -- also these are split into single sex (so that boys cant get into girls bathrooms and vice versa). Staff are really friendly and helpful. Lockers available to store your bags if needed. Right in the centre of Sydney and walking distance from the train station (you can get a train from Sydney airport to here) and greyhound stop.  , English ()
2   Dirty (and not in a good way) Our room was not clean -- stains on the beds, foot matted into the carpet. Not good. Bathrooms also needed a good clean. Kitchen too small for the amount of people there and not at all well equipped. Good security -- swipe card throughout and you can't enter without passing through the small reception. The staff were friendly and helpful though and do their best on the desk. Cleaning staff need firing. There's plenty of hostels in Sydney so you'd do well to avoid this! Website is good though -- but don't be fooled!  , England ()
4   Spacious, Clean, and Friendly. Would recommend Stayed in George when l 1st got to Australia and again a few months later traveling up the East Coast. Staff all very friendly and helpful. Stayed in 6 bed dorm both times, 4 beds on one side and 2 bed on other side of wall leaving plenty of room and making it a bit more private than most 6 bed dorms. Large kitchen fully equipped. Cheap internet. 2 comfy tv lounges. Only downside is the shower rooms can smell a little stale at times but look perfectly clean.  , Scottish ()
1   Bad public relations, very bad upfront management I had a seven-day in advance reservation made with credit card at 790 on George. After twenty-five hours of nonstop travel I showed up at the hostel and I wanted to check in. I had only one request. I'm a disabled senior citizen and I asked nicely to be accommodated on a lower bunk because I cannot climb up on a bunk because of my devastating spinal degenerative arthritis. I have no strength in my legs or arms due to nerve damage and other problems. I was told by the manager on duty (who is a smartass), that he can't accommodate me, I need to go to my room and ask someone to switch beds, which he didn't fail to add "nobody will." I tried to reason with this imbecile manager but he was playing smart with me and tried to outsmart me. Very nice to have someone like him, 790 on George must be very proud to have him as a manager. He needs a bit of sensitivity training or even better his ass should be fired. I asked for my deposit that I paid with credit card, he refused to give it to me. I was on verge of crying and he showed me the door, he said I better leave if I don't like it, and I did. 790 on George I'm going to be your worst nightmare you ever had. I will contact the Hotel and tourism Board.  , USA ()
4   clean comfortable this is a very clean modern hostel with good facilities... only thing is that there is no hostel organised nights out or things going on.... it suits more to people who are working as the atmosphere is more chillied out. would recomend this hostel to anyone.  , england ()