Highlander Hostel Inverness

Highlander Hostel is a good and inexpensive hostel located in the center of Inverness, Scotland. It is open during the whole year. The price is one of the lowest in the city and you have all the basics that are to be expected from a hostel.

The location is very good -- it's on the main street in the city center. Inverness is a small city and everything is nearby. The train station and the bus station are less than five minutes on foot and all the major sites in the city are within walking distance. Most sights are outside of Inverness and you can take a bus to reach them. There are many shops and restaurants in the neighborhood.

Highlander Hostel has dorms and private rooms; blankets and linens are included. There are rooms with four, six, ten, and twelve beds. The rooms are packed with beds, so there is no extra furniture and not much room to move around. The beds are quite hard and not very comfortable. Internet is also not very good on the upper floors. You can use lockers at the reception for a fee. There is one bathroom and toilet on each floor; if the hostel is full, this can be a challenge. Turning on the light is also a challenge. However, the toilet is clean and the shower is nice.

You can do your laundry for a fee. The kitchen is very well equipped with refrigerators, ovens, plates, all kind of utensils, and a great variety of free tea. Most things are old and overused but you have everything you need. There are computers with Internet access for a fee and free Wi-Fi. You must check out by noon. There is no deposit. There is a very big common room with many seats and different board games. The atmosphere at Highlander Hostel is more relaxed. Most tourists come to see Loch Ness and the city is not a party place. It is ok to have a beer or two in the common room.

Summary

Overall, the hostel is nice and you receive good value for your money. As it is recommended that you visit the sights near Inverness and that might take you some time, you get even better value.

by George Traveller
January 2013

How is Highlander Hostel Inverness rated on other websites?
1   Worst Hostel Every review speaks the truth when it comes to this hostel. The staff appeared drunk and our booking had vanished due to the computer not working. The rooms and showers were filthy. If this is your only option to stay in Inverness, stay somewhere else. I have been traveling for 4.5 months and this is the worst hostel I've stayed in.  , age 25, Australia ()
1   DON'T STAY HERE EVER The building is tired and warn out and is clearly never cleaned unless the guests do it. I found myself in pound land buying detox spray and cloths so i felt I could use the wash hand basin and shower and never put my bare feet on the floor due to the dirt and human hair ball by the toilet. The room smelt of stale tobacco and the window frame was so rotten I thought the glass may fall out. At Night we couldn't sleep due to the street noise and banging doors. It was my first experience of a hostel and I expected basic but I didnt expect filth, it almost ruined my holiday good job we was touring.  , age 51, British ()
1   Scam My credit card was charged when I booked, then again when I arrived. I have spent the last eight weeks calling and emailing and have still not received a refund. The customer service has been terrible.  , British ()
1   Very Poor, Never Again After actually managing to find this Hostel i started to have second thoughts as the entrance was located on an back street alleyway on the high street, which was dirty looking with mobs hanging around. after check-in i noticed how many actual local people who actually live there rather than stay for a few nights. these locals are what i call bums -- people who drink a lot and are always drunk and smelling of alcohol and don't have a job. i'm guessing the local government pays the hostel to house homeless individuals. Just a pre-warning to those even thinking of staying in this Hostel -- don't, you have been Warned.  , American ()
2   Dirty, noisy, unsafe, but with wifi and large LCD TV. I know I'm not paying much when I stay at a hostel. I know it's not a hotel. However, having stayed in many hostels I know what standard of quality I can expect. This hostel's standards were through the floor. It was difficult to locate the hostel even though it's close to the bus station since it's just an unmarked door in an alley with a shattered glass window. Even with a reservation I arrived to find there were no beds so they put me up in the staff room. The bathrooms were almost unsanitary and the common areas were just plain unclean. The bar next door made incredible noise till late in the night. The one redeeming feature for me was wireless Internet access as I always travel with my laptop. Even the TV wasn't a plus because the place was filled with noisy people shouting about the shows they were watching. Honestly, when I left the place I felt a great wave of relief come over me.  , USA ()
5   Excellent hostel, great location,fab staff, huge common room. I visited the Highlander hostel on 23rd May 07, I have been to many hostels in the UK and all over, I felt this hostel was great, just off the high street, masive common room, with pool table, Plasma, Internet etc. The staff were very help full, they even picked me up at the bus station by car( a Silver CLK Mercedese) great accomodation, cool kitchen great showers hot water even at 3am. Highly recommend this Hostel, Very immpressed.  , Spain ()
Highlander Hostel Inverness Reviews from the Web