Hostal Apuntadores

Although this hostel has a very good reputation, and it is very cheap by Mallorca standards, it is desperately in need of a re-vamping. Apparently the upper floors are drastically more attractive than the dorms, which are located on the second floor. Also, they only clean the shared baths (at least on the dorm floor) once a week, and it shows.

The dorm rooms themselves are nice if you have one facing the front of the building, but if you are unlucky enough to be stuck in the back or the middle, you will be subjected to a very foul odor coming from the rain ducts below, and very little air circulation. The dorms are like prison cells, bare-walled, old and the beds are terribly uncomfortable. The shared showers and toilets on the dorm level are as dirty as they smell. Your best bet here at the Apuntadores is to spring for a single or double on one of the higher floors to enjoy the fresh air and cleaner rooms.

On the positive side, the owners are English-speakers and very friendly, and the common areas are awesome. There is a café/bar downstairs that serves up good food three times daily. And the location, central to everything, including the beach, is ideal. There is even an internet café right next door.

Comment from the hostel: The hostel has been completely renovated during the winter of 2003/2004. All the comments on your review have been taken to heart, and now we believe we have the best-value hostel in Palma. Come and see!

by David
How is Hostal Apuntadores rated on other websites?
Gomio
Hostal Apuntadores Reviews from the Web
4   Good value, great location, friendly atmosphere, I think a good deal of work has been done on the hostel since the reviewers visited. I found it clean and comfortable with basic but functional facilities. The roof terrace is wicked and has unbelievable views. The staff were nice, especially the scottish nightman.  , UK ()
1   Horrible treatment Having lived overseas and done quite a bit of traveling in Europe, I can honestly say this was the worst experience I've had at any hotel. I left a credit card number to confirm the room reservation when I booked a month early. Upon arriving, the extremely rude proprietor told us that we were supposed to call to confirm, and when we said we were informed otherwise became angry at us, acting as if it was our fault that we were misinformed. We took a more expensive room, were told by two different staff members that we could move into a different room the next day. The next morning, we were again angrily informed by another staff member that the room promised us had been taken, and there was nothing they could do about it. The entire time, the staff acted as if it was our fault that we were misinformed, rather than adhering to any sense of customer service and trying to make amends for their mistakes. I would highly recommend staying in a different hotel.  , USA ()
5  This hostel is right in the centre of the old town -- where the fantastic cathedral, arab baths, and all you'll want to see in Palma is. It's located in a small (but very safe) and lively street full of restaurants. We stayed in an ensuite room which was immaculate on arrival. The terrace has one of the most amazing views in Palma. They also make breakfast (not included) in the reception/cafe area. We chose it because of the great reviews it had in a different website, and were very pleased we went there. Only bad point -- no air conditioner, but we were in the middle of July and survived.  ()
4  I just got back from here yesterday and it is a very nice place. It is a hostel/hotel with various single and double rooms and one large dorm room with 6 beds. They are clean and completely comfortable and the shower has fantastic pressure and is very clean. This hostel is located right in the centre of town! The staff are very friendly and helpful and I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 nights stay here. It is the ONLY hostel in the centre of town. Their sister hotel is on the other side of town close to the spanish nightlife. If going to Palma and want to stay somewhere clean, warm then this is recommended. It is not hot on the social side as it is not that kind of hostel which caters just for backpackers. It is great.  ()
3  The lobby has been renovated, as has the terrace, which rocks, but I would hate to see what the rooms looked like before the renovations! The showers have water and pressure, and a lock on the door but that's all they have going for them. You get a huge age range of people staying there. The daytime staff are flat out bitchy, but the nighttime guy rocks! Good location, and probably the better of selections in this town.  ()