Gaudys Backpackers Hostel

Gaudys Backpackers Hostel is a bright, well-kept, and safe place to stay in San Jose's city center. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the included breakfast is deliciously substantial!

This hostel is located only a couple blocks off the Paseo Colon, three blocks from the bus stop to the airport, nearby to all the other bus stations, and a about a twenty-minute walk into the heart of the city. The area is fairly clean and safe, with many American fast-food options only steps away. It's an ideal place for someone in between destinations due to its proximity to transportation, but it's perhaps a bit far away from the tourist spots if you're looking for a base to explore San Jose's attractions.

Gaudys offers a number of different private- and dorm-room configurations so there'll likely be something that you're looking for. The dorms are pretty average, but nice, clean, and equipped with lockers. Guests who don't have ensuite bathrooms might have to wait during the morning shower rush, since there aren't too many of these to go around. However, if you wait for the right one you'll be rewarded with a spacious, bright, and airy bathroom with hot water and wonderful water pressure.

One of the biggest draws to Gaudys is likely the spacious and plentiful common spaces: The kitchen is clean and well-equipped. The living room offers large comfortable couches with an enormous TV to view the latest telenovela or one of the many, many DVDs they have to offer. There are a number of sitting areas, hammocks, and a pool table by the two internet stations, which encourages meeting new people.

Summary

Overall, Gaudys is an excellent choice for people looking for a hostel near buses going all over Costa Rica, or who are happy to be a bit further away from the touristy spots. It's clean, friendly, and offers a lot of common space to hang out in and meet people. They also offer an airport service but will also let you know where the bus stop is if you ask. (It's an easy, five-minute walk and a fifteen-minute bus ride for about twenty times less the price they'd charge!)

by Tareesah
November 2011

How is Gaudys Backpackers Hostel rated on other websites?
Gaudys Backpackers Hostel Reviews from the Web
5   Would stay again Very Clean, Staff was great!! Bent over backwards to help me with some travel organizing. Not a party hostel yet great atmosphere for fun people. Nice breakfast as well!  , USA ()
1   Poor Experience As far as cleanliness goes, there WERE bedbugs and cockroaches. The staff is not nice. I booked for a week and then David comes into the dorm without looking me in the eyes and says all the dorms are booked for tonight. So I had to pack everything up and leave even though we had agreed upon me staying a week. The worst hostel I have stayed at. Many better options in the area. Breakfast is garbage as well. I asked for a little bit more fruit and was told "no."  , USA ()
1   Worst place ever I went there with a few of my friends and had the worst Time ever. The owner along with his worker are crooks. Whatever you do, do not give this place your credit card number. We had asked him about a trip to go white water rafting and this guy went and booked the trip. We told him we did not want to go and he told us ok while we were there. Next thing I know, three days later when i had already returned home, he goes and charges my credit card for over $350. Another thing is that one of my friends also believes he got bedbugs from that place. I don't recommend this place to anyone.  , Canadian ()
4   Good first hostel experience This was my first hostel experience, but i have traveled a lot. I had a good time with my girlfriend. we booked a private room and the staff were very friendly and helpful. room was small and the bathroom was so so, but what can you expect for $15/night? the area seems pretty nice during the day, but once the sun goes down, it is a lonely neighborhood. all in all it was a lot better than i expected. good place to hang out for a few days, wasnt too crazy, and not that much noise.  , USA ()
4   Very good I found the hostel to be very nice. I stayed in a private room for two days and then in the dormitory for two days. Convenient to many things in San Jose, and only about a fifteen-minute walk to many downtown locations. I paid $22 US for the private room and $12, I think, for the dormitory. I had a very good experience and felt very safe the entire stay. The internet is included in the price and was fast and available almost always, with very little wait. I would stay there again. Breakfast of fruit, pancakes, and coffee was included.  , USA ()
4  This place has incredibily friendly staff who also speak good English. They say they will always have room for you, and it is true, as even when all the rooms are full, they will offer to let you sleep in the living room, or any other nook and cranny they can find. They also made phonecalls for my group to organise tours/taxis, which was very useful as our Spanish was incredibily limited! Great value for money!  ()
5  This is the best hostel I ever saw in Central America with the nicest people you can imagine.  ()
5  Gaudys is a very relaxing hotel. The layout is beautiful, with open enclosures and hammocks with a view of the beautiful Costa Rican sky. These open enclosures have patios and dinning areas to relax and eat. There is an open kitchen so you can cook your favorite foods for your friends and guests; it really is a home a way from home. I stayed there six weeks and worked over the Internet, which is high speed. The owners and staff are all family so it is no wonder that they are so nice to their guests. The service was exceptional and professional. One of the best parts of the experience was the exceptional international people I met and had the privilege of dining with. I made many friends that to this day I communicate with over the Internet. At one point the gracious owners accompanied me and another hotel guest out for dinner; they are truly good people. I will stay at Gaudys the next time I visit San Jose, Costa Rica, with friends.  ()