Bazpackers Hostel

Bazpackers Hostel is highly recommend if you are wanting a natural yet city life experience.

Bazpackers is located approximately ten minutes from the bus station and is on a quaint street overlooking River Ness as well as a cute outdoor patio bar called the Castle Tavern. We loved sitting out on the hostel backyard patio at sunset and for morning coffee with a spectacular view overlooking the city. It is in city centre, therefore there are shops and bars nearby, yet the hostel is in an old, historic-looking building and it's very small so it does not feel generic at all. We took some of the best photos of Inverness outside of the rooms of Bazpackers Hostel! We would recommend a run along the River Ness toward the activity center -- it is stunning in the summer -- and we even found a couple of hidden campsites in the woods along the river we considered coming back to for a fire roast.

Of the hostels we had previously visited throughout Ireland and Scotland, Bazpackers is by far the cleanest. The bedrooms and bathrooms have stunning views of the city and Inverness Castle. The bathroom shower is modern, with hot, strong current water without a wait. There are working lockers at the foot of the bed to secure your belongings.

The common rooms are small but friendly and useable with a working antique fireplace, movie room, and free laptop to use with Wi-Fi if needed. Because the hostel is small, the common rooms never become overcrowded and neither does the kitchen; the atmosphere is quiet but friendly. We played cards with travelers and got to meet a friendly hostel worker who gave us insider tips. Bazpackers pays their staff well, as opposed to some hostels who just provide board and breakfast, so we think this influences the atmosphere and cleanliness. It is still the most affordable at the time.

Summary

We actually ran to Loch Ness from Bazpackers in two hours, which we didn't realize was unsafe until we reached a narrow two-lane road more than halfway in, so it would be affordable if you hired a bus or cab, which is highly recommended. Do not walk there! Overall, this place has a great locale for activity with stunning views and friendly atmosphere and it's very clean. This is a convenient and affordable way to experience the Highlands.

by Riss
June 2014
How is Bazpackers Hostel rated on other websites?
Bazpackers Hostel Reviews from the Web
5   Very good Very central location with beautiful view. Staff is very helpful and nice. the beds are comfortable and good. Bathroom are new and clean. I hope to come back early.  , age 41, Italy ()
5   Excellent Stay Although the room and bathroom are small, but the facilities are complete. It's the nice stay in Inverness in that cold and rainy day.  , age 20, Taiwan ()
4   Terrible staff, awesome showers My husband and I stayed here for two nights and after the first five minutes of being there we were really wishing we'd booked at the backpackers two doors down. The front desk lady was incredibly short with us to the point of being rude, and was also rude to the other hostelers there. In the morning we went out to buy groceries and returned to make some quick sandwiches so we could go out biking for the day. However, the same lady kicked us out -- not only out of the kitchen but the entire hostel. We can understand that it is difficult for staff to clean a hostel when there are people all around, but when we went to the front door to put our coats on (it was raining out) she actually told us to leave and put our coats on outside because she really wanted to clean and we were in her way. Seriously?! We didn't come back til late in the day because we really felt uncomfortable being around her! I'd go on about the other things she did and said, but I want to say that there were some great aspects to this hostel. The fireplace in the main room is super cozy and the hostel cat will sleep all evening on your lap if you let her. The showers are hands-down the best of any hostel -- stainless steel and roomy. The only downside of the washrooms is that the light is on a timer so if you spend more than about fifteen minutes in the washroom or shower you will be left in the dark until someone comes to rescue you -- rather creepy at night! The kitchen is quite small, making it hard to cook when there are any other people in there with you, but there's free coffee and tea, which are always appreciated.  , Canada ()
1  Stayed as three young women twenty-three years old. we were put with an older man around fifty who insisted on sleeping nude. I have never been more uncomfortable or scared in my life. this was not only dangerous but simply imconsiderate by the staff. We will never return to Bazpackers.  ()
4  I stayed in 2005 and shared a double room with my wife, and i thought the staff. rooms, and the views were excellent. We plan to go back this year.  ()
4  I stayed here in September '05. We had one of the double rooms. It was very nice with a desk and a nice view of the river. It was quiet and had good facilities. I would definitely go back again.  ()
4  I stayed here in October and it was rather cold in the rooms but the blankets they provide you with are quite warm. The staff were great—very helpful and friendly. It is small, but very cozy and I got to meet some really cool people. It was clean and I felt completely safe the entire time I was there. The view from my window of the river, castle and two churches was beautiful. I would recommend this hostel to everyone.  ()
4  I visited this hostel during the summer of 2004 and liked it very much. For such a low price per night I think the hostel provided a very high degree of comfort, and the shower and toilet facilities were always very fresh. The location is perfect since it's so close to the center of the town. And it still can provide a nearby walk (or run) along the River Ness and the beautiful Ness Islands. But, saying that the Inverness Castle should be minutes away from the hostel is a lie — it's only seconds away. (Well, ok, it depends on how fast you're walking.) If I someday return to Inverness, which I hope I do since it's such a lovely town, I will absolutely stay at Bazpackers. You felt at home by the first night (and by the first glance of Poppy, the fat cat). I hope she is still alive and well, making the stay at Bazpackers more cozy (for non-allergic persons, that is). I advise you to try and get a bed at this hostel if Inverness is on your travelling route!  ()