USA Hostels San Francisco

Not too many hostels feature their own theatre
Privates come with and without bath

USA Hostels San Francisco is in a great location for someone visiting San Francisco -- it's within walking distance from the popular touristic spots such as Union Square (about ten minutes' walk, but not too close either that you'd feel like you're in the middle of all the tourist traps.

The location translates into nice restaurants and cafes on the same street as the hostel (not just chains like in and around the Square) and a not-overly-busy surrounding. It's quiet and it feels safe to walk around, both day and night. There's easy access to public transportation including buses and trams. The nearest metro station would be a fifteen-minute walk away, but at least it's all downhill on the way there.

There are a variety of differently sized rooms, including both dorms and privates, with private and shared bathrooms. The bathrooms, even when shared, are maintained quite nicely during the day. Liquid soap is provided in the showers.

The rooms are quite compact but comfortable, as they have everything you would need during the stay. Private rooms with shared bathroom include an in-room lavatory, mirror, and hair dryer. Privates also include a mini fridge, microwave, and an alarm clock/iPod deck.

There is an extremely social vibe in this hostel with activities in and outside the hostel organized every evening. Popular activities include pub crawl, karaoke night, and movie nights in the in-house movie hall. During the day, you can also borrow DVDs for free from reception. Karaoke nights can get loud, but the noise tends to be controlled and things get over within decent times.

There's a small library with books and a couple of computers for those not carrying their own laptops. There's Wi-Fi not only in common areas but also in the rooms. You can also enjoy affordable laundry facilities, buy snacks and beverages from vending machines, and cook your own meals in the kitchen, which is very spacious and well equipped. Breakfast is included in the rate, consisting in a variety of breads (white and brown), bagels, spreads (butter and jelly), juices, oatmeal, fruits, and the popular all-you-can-make/all-you-can-eat pancakes!

Summary

Overall, this hostel offers good facilities, friendly staff, and affordable prices -- not cheap, but this is San Francisco, so nothing really is!

by zararock
June 2013
Video
How is USA Hostels San Francisco rated on other websites?
4   Good solid hostel Good hostel. Very big and maybe doesn't have the homespun feel of some hostels, so maybe don't visit here if you want that. But a lot of people, good events (pool tournaments advertised both times I was here) and parties. Also, good location, spacious enough room, good en suite, decent breakfast.  , age 25, English ()
5   Natalie is the best! Stayed 1 night and picked the best night ever to stay. Natalie the front desk girl took us out on the Pub Crawl. Had such an awesome time, she took such good care of us. Rooms are great, I got a single bed room, bathroom was nice and clean, Wifi signal is super strong, room was really clean, staff is awesome, thanks to Brian at the front desk too. I would say Natalie made it really special though for me because it was my first hostel I ever stayed at in my life, and going out on that Pub Crawl was probably the coolest thing I could have ever done in the city not knowing anyone, she made sure we all had an awesome time. I would definitely stay here again. I think it's really cool they offer so much to travelers by all the events they do. 2 thumbs up. Thanks Natalie.  , age 28, USA ()
5   A great hostel Clean, comfortable, and an excellent location. I would definitely recommend this hostel and stay at it again. The best thing about this hostel is its location -- right downtown, close to the shopping district of Union Square and close to transit so you can get around the city very easily.  , age 29, Canada ()
5   I don't usually stay in hostels but this was a great experience. Great hostel with good amenities, discounts, activities.  , age 29, Canada ()
5   Excellent The hostel is wonderful, you feel like you are in a hotel. Everything is well organized and it's location is wonderful. The only thing is the very early check out at least it should be at 11. In general, it is the best hostel.  , age 20, Egypt ()
5   Great hostels for a first time experience I booked at the hostel because it looked commercial and since it was the first time going to a hostel, I wanted something not too shabby. I stayed 2 nights and everything went perfectly. The location is also great -- near the main streets and before the highest hill towards the port. I also booked a all women's room which was great in meeting new people. I think it depends on who you have in your room. I think the only thing I disliked is being on top in the bunk bed -- impossible to make no noise going to the bathroom at night but the cubbies are really intimate and you got your own little space. At night there were parties but I didn't hear anything at night in our room even though I went to bed really early since I was on the eastern time. Another thing was going with all your stuff to the bathroom but I guess that's the other thing of being in a hostel ... they didn't have any towels either but someone in my room told me it depended on the room you get -- sometimes you get a towel sometimes you don't ... There is also free breakfast with toast, oatmeal, juice, coffee ... you just need to wash your dishes after you use them and let them dry. there are also huge restaurant fridges if you are staying for while -- I guess it is handy instead of always going to a restaurant. The kitchen is like a restaurant's. People are also really nice and greet all the time! A really nice first hostel experience.
Response from the accommodation: We're so glad we made your first hostel experience a good one! Thanks for the kind words. Regarding towels, they are always provided in private rooms and available, for free, on request for guests in dorms. Next time you stay with us, just ask when you check in. Happy Travels!  , Canada ()
5   Worth the price! I have stayed at a handful of hostels abroad, and this was by far the best. My friend and I were in a 4-person mixed dorm room. They have thought of everything, and have a dedicated, courteous staff. Location is excellent with tasty eateries nearby (Sakana for sushi, Farm Table for brunch), a well-stocked little market across the street, affordable parking nearby and easy access to public transport. Top marks for cleanliness, noise mitigation and security. Would definitely stay again!  , USA ()
4   Great but a bit noisy I stayed here with 3 friends in June. The staff was nice from the start and really helpful. The room was clean, the linen and the blankets were clean. The electric outlet in the lockers is a great idea! The showers were clean and there was enough room so that you could get out of the shower and dry yourself without getting wet again! The kitchen and the whole basement area were clean and very convenient, though we didn't really use the whole "nightlife" in the hostel. I loved the little papers with all the directions to the tourist spots, very useful! Only one down point: we were in the first room near the reception and the first night was VERY noisy! There was a party going on there and people made noise all night, it was so loud that you could actually think they were right in front of our door! The two other nights we stayed were quiet.  , France ()
USA Hostels San Francisco Reviews from the Web