Paddy's Palace Killarney

Paddy's Palace Killarney is a place where you get a lot for little money -- they offer a special deal (if you stay two nights, you get the third one for free).

Paddy's Palace is located in New Street, which is one of the main streets in Killarney. It's about two minutes' walking to the center and two minutes in the other direction to the cathedral and the entrance of the national park, so it is in a perfect location to help you discover Killarney and the area. To make this easier you can rent bikes at two places in the village. Killarney is very popular for many reasons, including its national park, the Gap of Dunloe, Torc Mountain and waterfall, Ladies View, and Lough Leane. Killarney is the main starting point for bus and carriage tours around the area and to the Ring of Kerry.

There are buses driving to and from every city in Ireland. The main bus station is a good ten-minute walk away from the hostel. If you arrive by car there is a parking area (about five minutes walk to the hostel) where High Street (one of the main shopping roads) meets Rock Road. It is free most of the time. The next supermarket is just to the next door of the hostel.

The building itself looks neither new nor nice. The rooms are spread over three levels in the house, which makes it easy to get a calm room if you want. The biggest dorm room (which has twelve beds) can be found on the ground floor, whereas the private rooms are on the third floor. The dorm rooms are standard. You will find normal, clean beds, plus enough sockets and windows. There is a shared bathroom for every bigger dorm room and en suite bathrooms for the smaller rooms. The bathrooms are very nice and provide everything you need (for example, good, hot shower and heating).

The most popular common room is the kitchen, eating area, and reception in one room on the first floor. It is quite big and very bright for its big windows. Here you can always meet many nice people to have a chat, eat together, or play games, as we did during our stay. The kitchen is fully equipped and everything necessary is there. In this common room there is also a computer with internet access free to use for every guest. Separate from this, there is a cosy TV room with a selection of DVDs and very comfortable couches.

Summary

This hostel is brilliant if you are on low budget! You get so many things -- like the breakfast, for , is included in the price -- for a small amount of money. We found the best about the hostel is the atmosphere. The staff are brilliant and know how to make you feel not only at home but also try to include everyone. We met so many open-minded, interesting people sitting in the common room together in the evening talking and laughing.

by RebeccaM
May 2013

common roomstaircasekitchen
dormbathroom
How is Paddy's Palace Killarney rated on other websites?
Paddy's Palace Killarney Reviews from the Web
1  I stayed here just a few days ago and was really disappointed, as I was with the other Paddy's Palace (Dublin) I stayed in. They were both very untidy and unwelcoming for a traveler just wanting to relax. There was not much of a lounge and the staff were drinking and or smoking right where we were to have relaxed. Paddy's Palace is tied to Paddywagon Tours and although the tour ended up just fine and the sights were good, I would not recommed this company to any traveler unless you don't care for learning the history and prefer bar stories from your guides.  ()
4  This hostel has a really friendly vibe and is well located to all the bars of Killarney! I stayed in a double room on the top floor, which was clean and comfy with an excellent en suite bathroom. You can easily walk to shops, transport and the great nightlife - modern bars, nightclubs, or traditional Irish pubs! It is about a 15-minute to walk to the national park, which is really tranquil, and home to the picturesque Ross Castle. Staff at Paddy's were very friendly and the night porter, although a bit scary (!), was good for security. Breakfast was standard cereal, toast and coffee - satisfying, just not special. Killarney has a reputation for being a bit touristy, but a stay here is worth it anyway!  ()
4  I stayed here on the 4th and 5th of May 2005 as part of six-day Paddywagon South tour. Once again I had great drivers/guides — Mike, Gabe, Steve and Joey. You guys rock! What a great location the hostel is in — central to everything. I got a warm welcome — thanks Aran. The rooms were spacious, clean and had an en suite. The only downers: lack of communal space for when four or so tours all come in at once and there was no bedroom curtain — a sheet became a makeshift one. Sweet as bro! Excellent security; they had a night porter/watchman.  ()
4  VERY convenient to everything. I went here with a Paddywagon Tour, and I highly recommend Rooms 1 and 4. We didn't have any problems with the bathroom curtains, but smoked glass would make more sense. Most of the rooms are en suite, and even the 6-room dorms have sufficient space. However, two important cautions: 1) Try not to get a room on the top floor. While we were there, it stank horribly of mold/mildew. 2) This is a major Paddywagon stop, so that might contribute to an antisocial atmosphere (lots of groups). This being said, I enjoyed my stay immensely. It's safe (there's even a night porter, who checks off names to make sure everyone's in), and it's convenient to the rest of the city (Tesco and the post office are 2-3 minutes away).  ()
1  I went to Killarney with a Paddywagon Tour and stayed there for two nights. I was shocked when I saw where I had to stay for two nights. The whole house is smelly and there was dust and dirt everywhere. The showers rarely had hot water and the kitchen was messy, with 5 cups for a tour of 33 people!!! Rather go elsewhere and spend a few more euros.  ()
4  We were here in July and stayed in a 4 room mixed dorm with private bath. I found the place to be fine. The rooms were not cramped and the bathroom was more than adequate. There is not a quality common area, but the kitchen was fine. The location is right in the middle of town and the staff were friendly and helpful. I would go back again and encourage others to do so.  ()
1  Location location, location, but what about everything else? I planned to stay there for a few days, but I ran out of there after the first night. The room was rather nice, but the whole atmosphere of this hostel was gloomy and alienating. The last straw: the bathroom curtains can't be closed. Do you think I want the whole world seeing all of me while I'm peeing?  ()
4  It was fun to stay here. It was nice and clean, although the shower needed some work! The small rooms were a treat. The staff were really great and helpful.  ()