Banana Bungalow West Hollywood

Banana Bungalow West Hollywood is a medium-sized hostel with a reception desk right next to the front door. It is located on a commercial street, which is actually pretty quiet at night except for traffic driving past.

The hostel is located opposite a large high school and next door to The Silent Movie Cinema. It is a subtle-looking, pastel building that's easy to miss. It looks quite similar to a another building on the same street so be careful not to confuse them! It is very near to the cool Melrose area and CBS TV Studios.

Further down the street, there is The Grove shopping centre. Beyond that there is "Museum Row" -- a conglomeration of some of the prime museums in Hollywood, including The Peterson Automotive Museum, LACMA, and the La Brea tarpits. In the opposite direction lies Hollywood Boulevard, which has some of the other main tourist attractions. Buses run frequently between the two locations and stop right by the hostel too.

There are a mixture of rooms are available on two levels. The six-bed female dorm is actually a twelve-bed room with a dividing wall in the middle. As both sides have their own bathroom, this actually works out ok. The room is a little cramped but there is some good storage space including rails to hang your clothes. The large dorm window has a very thin curtains and it backs on to the outdoor social area used in the evening. There is a feeling that people can see what you're doing in the room if you have the light on. Thicker curtains would really improve the situation. The en suite bathroom is fine and well lit with a decent amount of room to get changed and a shelf for your things. There are also a couple of toilets near the reception.

The kitchen is clean, spacious, and functional. A basic breakfast is included each morning. There are a couple of free evening meals during the week (one is a BBQ) and there is a filling amount of food provided. There are social areas indoors and outdoors; both are spacious but the inside area has a bit more seating. There are two computers that are free to use as well as Wi-Fi. There is a basement, too, which has a stand-up comedian perform once a week. Some people are entertained by him, others aren't! Other options provided are a foosball table, board games, and table-tennis.

Summary

This is slightly away from the main strip but many attractions are easily reachable on foot, by bus, or car. There are a lot of interesting places to explore within walking distance. This hostel provides lots of social opportunities -- BBQ, comedy night, board games, and nights out. It is comfortable and runs smoothly.

by Charli
October 2014
How is Banana Bungalow West Hollywood rated on other websites?
Banana Bungalow West Hollywood Reviews from the Web
4   Well surprised! At the beginning, I was pretty worried in staying in a youth hostel but Banana Bungalow allows me to spend good times with all the activities they organise every night! Moreover, the place they're located is close to hollywood bd that is a very good point! The bedroom was clean and I have not been bitten by bedbugs so I guess it's ok. You can find more bathrooms in the corridors in case you are staying with ladies who spend more time in the bathroom than sleeping you know what I mean! If you have a small budget don't hesitate to stay in banana bungalow you will not regret at all!  , age 28, French ()
3   It depends what kind of room you get On the first night, I had a 6 person dorm and that was good. The next day when I went to pay, they said I didnt book in time and somebody else had the last bed in that room so I had to switch to a budget traveler dorm! That room had 16 people and it was terrible. There was no bathroom and the door would automatically lock every time you went out, so if you went to the toilet in the middle of the night you had to remember your key or hunt down the night security guy. There was no ventilation in the room when you turned off the light, because the overhead fan would only turn on when the light was on! There was somebody in the room with really smelly feet and they kept passing gas most of the night, so I did not sleep at all! The common areas are nice, but there is a have a ping pong table right in the middle of the main room! Every time you walk by you have to worry about getting hit with a stray ball. Even worse is when you are on the computer and a ball hits you on the head or if you are eating breakfast and the ball lands in your cereal! They have 2 televisions, but the one outside I dont think works, and the other one is all the way in the basement and it is very dark down there.  , English ()
5   Great Hostel, the best I have ever been to! The Hostel is really good. It is clean, staff is friendly, nice furniture, big kitchen, balconies in some rooms, parking garage, big common area with pool tables, flat screens etc. Breakfast is also included and even better: There was a free BBQ and free beer on Saturday evening! Location is also very central in West Hollywood and the area is safe. I would recommend this hostel to everyone!  , German ()
1   Bedbugs paradise I booked there for 4 nights, actually I stayed only 2 even when I payed for 4, awful experience. When I arrive I bought a padlock from the vending machine, the key didn't work, the gay at the front desk gave me an attitude look like, not my problem, get lost, bad start, then everything was dirty, but I can deal with that, but the worst part, was that it was infested by bedbugs. Staying there for only 2 nights was enough to get most of my body cover with bedbug bites, never again. Now I understand why all the mattresses were out in the open, this was like a year and half ago, not sure if it's still that bad. I had to pay for a hotel room one night and when i got back to the hostel to pick up my stuff on the last night my bed was taken, maybe that was not their fault, not sure but still not cool. If I could I would put 0 stars, do yourself a favor, don't stay there.  , Argentina ()
4   Definitely better than expected I was honestly worried for what I read about the bedbugs, but I was pleasantly surprised by the very clean and tidy private room I got. Roomy and comfy, it could accommodate four people (I was alone, though). Very nice common place that makes socializing easy, and quite friendly staff. The hostel parking was little but better than nothing. I would certainly recommend it.  , Italy ()
2   Bedbugs paradise This place could have been so great because the setup and location is great but i would not stay here again unless they did something about the huge bedbug problem here. I would have stayed here longer but in fact i had to switch hostels because i had bedbug bites that were more like welts all over my body. Tried switching rooms but same problem and in fact, there were four other guests that i talked to that had the same problem. We in fact squashed the blood out of one of the bedbugs the size of a small cockroach. And the staff doesn't really seem to think it's a big deal. One of the problems is their mattresses seem like they pulled it out of someone's dumpster. They are old!  , usa ()
4   Fun but BED BUGS!!! I had a great time here as its very social, however they have a serious bed bug problem and the staff don't care! Also some of the staff are horrible, especially the black security guard who is highly aggressive to people for no apparant reason. He is foul mouthed and brings the atmosphere of the hostel down.  , UK ()
5   Super wild! when i arrived at the airport i was pretty scared, i am a first timer traveling. i found banana bungalow from the information center. the hostel gave me a free ride from the airport to the hostel. they were very nice, patient, and so helpful. the tours that they have was excellent, i got to know the city within a day. and i enjoy the football match (soccer) they have outside the hostel. i've thought i am gonna be homesick, i feel like home again over here at the banana bungalow. i love the fact that they have free breakfast and free dinners.  , indonesia ()