Banana Bungalow West Hollywood

Banana Bungalow West Hollywood is a medium-sized hostel with a reception desk right next to the front door. It is located on a commercial street, which is actually pretty quiet at night except for traffic driving past.

The hostel is located opposite a large high school and next door to The Silent Movie Cinema. It is a subtle-looking, pastel building that's easy to miss. It looks quite similar to a another building on the same street so be careful not to confuse them! It is very near to the cool Melrose area and CBS TV Studios.

Further down the street, there is The Grove shopping centre. Beyond that there is "Museum Row" -- a conglomeration of some of the prime museums in Hollywood, including The Peterson Automotive Museum, LACMA, and the La Brea tarpits. In the opposite direction lies Hollywood Boulevard, which has some of the other main tourist attractions. Buses run frequently between the two locations and stop right by the hostel too.

There are a mixture of rooms are available on two levels. The six-bed female dorm is actually a twelve-bed room with a dividing wall in the middle. As both sides have their own bathroom, this actually works out ok. The room is a little cramped but there is some good storage space including rails to hang your clothes. The large dorm window has a very thin curtains and it backs on to the outdoor social area used in the evening. There is a feeling that people can see what you're doing in the room if you have the light on. Thicker curtains would really improve the situation. The en suite bathroom is fine and well lit with a decent amount of room to get changed and a shelf for your things. There are also a couple of toilets near the reception.

The kitchen is clean, spacious, and functional. A basic breakfast is included each morning. There are a couple of free evening meals during the week (one is a BBQ) and there is a filling amount of food provided. There are social areas indoors and outdoors; both are spacious but the inside area has a bit more seating. There are two computers that are free to use as well as Wi-Fi. There is a basement, too, which has a stand-up comedian perform once a week. Some people are entertained by him, others aren't! Other options provided are a foosball table, board games, and table-tennis.

This is slightly away from the main strip but many attractions are easily reachable on foot, by bus, or car. There are a lot of interesting places to explore within walking distance. This hostel provides lots of social opportunities -- BBQ, comedy night, board games, and nights out. It is comfortable and runs smoothly.
by Charli
October 2014

Social area looking towards front door
Storage in dorm

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Banana Bungalow West Hollywood" at 603 N. Fairfax Avenue.)

603 N. Fairfax Avenue, West Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA
34.081780, -118.361796
+1 (323) 655-2002
+1 (323) 655-2007

How is Banana Bungalow West Hollywood rated on other websites?

Not great by hostel standards but good by Los Angeles standards!
I stayed here a few years ago and then recently. The first time the dorm had wooden bunks that were high enough to sit up under and black metal shelves at the end of most bunk beds. This time they switched the beds to blue metal ones that are too low to sit under and the ladders are on the back side so they had to remove some of the shelves. I was in a top bunk so I could read and someone had removed the top shelf of the shelf next to me so I had no place for my alarm clock. There are nice outdoor places to sit, but smoking is allowed outside, and boy do they! Every place I tried to sit and relax someone would come sit beside me and smoke so I would have to leave. Unlike other hostels, this one does not having individual reading lights near the bed, so if someone goes to bed early and turns off the light you cannot see. I went out to the common room to read but the night security guy said it was closed and made me go to the basement. It was too dark down there to read and people were drunk, and loud playing pool. This hostel has a kitchen which is nice. It is not a very pleasant place to hang out during the day because the Spanish speaking housekeeping and maintenance staff take over the place. I do not know why there are so many of them, because it seems like they spend way more time socializing in the common areas than they do cleaning and repairing! The hostel is very strict about not letting people check in before 2:00 insisting that the rooms are not ready. This is true because it takes the housekeepers forever to get to cleaning them and then they hang out in the bathrooms for a long time. It should take 2 minutes to empty the trash, mop the floors, tidy up the bathrooms so maybe they are taking a nice long break in there. As far as checking in, it says clearly that there is a 28 day max stay. Ok, got it, but they insist that you have to have "proof of travel" in that you must show them a dated plane or train ticket. If you are like me, I like to plan as I go along depending on how much I like a certain area and buy my train tickets one or two days in advance, so for them to do this is not very nice. Their logic is that they dont want people moving to LA and using them as permanent lodging, but simply telling people that there is a 28 day max should be sufficient instead of treating everyone with suspicion as if we are up to something sketchy! This hostel could be so much better if they would make the effort to modernize it and treat guests like they are wanted instead of being so strict and acting like they are doing you a favor by allowing you to stay there. Decent hostel options are very limited in Los Angeles, and they know it, and try to rub it in your face which is not right. They do have free underground parking which gives them a huge advantage over most places.
Very bad place
The Hostel is more than disgusting. The Room, Bathroom, and the Kitchen are very dirty. they don't have stuff in the Kitchen or it is very dirty. the rooms and bathroom are old and dirty. We found some old food behind our beds and in the lockers. There are bugs everywhere in the in and outside area. the Peope who worked in the Hostel are drunk in the morning, so don't go in the hostel!!!!!!
Age 24, Germany
Well surprised!
At the beginning, I was pretty worried in staying in a youth hostel but Banana Bungalow allows me to spend good times with all the activities they organise every night! Moreover, the place they're located is close to hollywood bd that is a very good point! The bedroom was clean and I have not been bitten by bedbugs so I guess it's ok. You can find more bathrooms in the corridors in case you are staying with ladies who spend more time in the bathroom than sleeping you know what I mean! If you have a small budget don't hesitate to stay in banana bungalow you will not regret at all!
Age 28, French
It depends what kind of room you get
On the first night, I had a 6 person dorm and that was good. The next day when I went to pay, they said I didnt book in time and somebody else had the last bed in that room so I had to switch to a budget traveler dorm! That room had 16 people and it was terrible. There was no bathroom and the door would automatically lock every time you went out, so if you went to the toilet in the middle of the night you had to remember your key or hunt down the night security guy. There was no ventilation in the room when you turned off the light, because the overhead fan would only turn on when the light was on! There was somebody in the room with really smelly feet and they kept passing gas most of the night, so I did not sleep at all! The common areas are nice, but there is a have a ping pong table right in the middle of the main room! Every time you walk by you have to worry about getting hit with a stray ball. Even worse is when you are on the computer and a ball hits you on the head or if you are eating breakfast and the ball lands in your cereal! They have 2 televisions, but the one outside I dont think works, and the other one is all the way in the basement and it is very dark down there.
Great Hostel, the best I have ever been to!
The Hostel is really good. It is clean, staff is friendly, nice furniture, big kitchen, balconies in some rooms, parking garage, big common area with pool tables, flat screens etc. Breakfast is also included and even better: There was a free BBQ and free beer on Saturday evening! Location is also very central in West Hollywood and the area is safe. I would recommend this hostel to everyone!
Bedbugs paradise
I booked there for 4 nights, actually I stayed only 2 even when I payed for 4, awful experience. When I arrive I bought a padlock from the vending machine, the key didn't work, the gay at the front desk gave me an attitude look like, not my problem, get lost, bad start, then everything was dirty, but I can deal with that, but the worst part, was that it was infested by bedbugs. Staying there for only 2 nights was enough to get most of my body cover with bedbug bites, never again. Now I understand why all the mattresses were out in the open, this was like a year and half ago, not sure if it's still that bad. I had to pay for a hotel room one night and when i got back to the hostel to pick up my stuff on the last night my bed was taken, maybe that was not their fault, not sure but still not cool. If I could I would put 0 stars, do yourself a favor, don't stay there.
Definitely better than expected
I was honestly worried for what I read about the bedbugs, but I was pleasantly surprised by the very clean and tidy private room I got. Roomy and comfy, it could accommodate four people (I was alone, though). Very nice common place that makes socializing easy, and quite friendly staff. The hostel parking was little but better than nothing. I would certainly recommend it.
Bedbugs paradise
This place could have been so great because the setup and location is great but i would not stay here again unless they did something about the huge bedbug problem here. I would have stayed here longer but in fact i had to switch hostels because i had bedbug bites that were more like welts all over my body. Tried switching rooms but same problem and in fact, there were four other guests that i talked to that had the same problem. We in fact squashed the blood out of one of the bedbugs the size of a small cockroach. And the staff doesn't really seem to think it's a big deal. One of the problems is their mattresses seem like they pulled it out of someone's dumpster. They are old!

Rate Banana Bungalow West Hollywood