Borneo Seahare Guesthouse

Borneo Seahare Hostel, close to the Kuching waterfront, is operated by the ever-helpful and very friendly Wes and Teresa. This hostel is one private room and two dorm rooms, which makes for a quiet stay. While we were there for five nights, we only had one other group stay a night, so it was more like our own apartment.

The hostel is located up road from the Kuching waterfront and very close to restaurants, bars, and even a laundromat across the road. Behind the building is a high school, which makes for some interesting noises -- but is nice to be able to see what high school is like in Kuching.

There are two shared dorms and a private room, all of which are clean and tidy. None of the rooms has air conditioning, but there are ample fans, which are enough to keep the rooms comfortable. The beds are clean and the doors have locks. There are two bathroom/toilets with hot water units and body wash. The toilets are clean, but are a little hard to flush -- generally we found you needed to pump the handle.

There is a lounge with a take-a-book/leave-a-book shelf and board games along with a TV and hundreds of DVDs to watch. There is free Wi-Fi and free breakfast (toast) and coffee and tea. A shared fridge with a freezer for ice, along with a water cooler, proves to be very handy. There are laundry hangers with pegs and laundry soap.

Summary

We would stay here again in a heartbeat! Wes is super friendly and pops in daily to check up on you; he is a wealth of knowledge and is very genuine. The location and facilities are excellent and they also offer a pick-up service from the airport, which is slightly cheaper than a taxi.

April 2012

How is Borneo Seahare Guesthouse rated on other websites?
Borneo Seahare Guesthouse Reviews from the Web
5   Value for money Nice and clean room. Owner are the friendliest person I have ever met as they are enthusiastic about your stay and see as much as you can. Where else can you find such cheap accommodation at less than USA$6 a night with an all day breakfast included? I understand that the owners try to keep not too many visitors so that the place is not over crowded and still feels like home. Even a backpacker room stay in a Australia would cost you at least USA$40 dollars a night and with no breakfast and could be far away from shops etc. Event a tent site would cost me $12 dollars a night in Oz. Best of all this hostel in near to waterfront, and downstairs you have the travel agency for any tours or the hostel provided heaps of brochures for places of interest. A feeling like home away from home kitchen where you can enjoy your meal or just stroll around as there are plenty of cheap Food stalls everywhere within walking distance and even the best 5 star hotels is just not too far away within walking distance.  , Australian ()
5   Highly recommended Small, but not crowded. and wasnt busy during my stay, felt like I had the place to myself. Well set out with good kitchen area and the private room was roomy. Quite a comfortable stay. Walk to to most places from here is easy -- it's a slight uphill coming back but not a problem. Small shops very close. Hosts are not always on site, but whenever I saw them, they were full of information and interested in what I had been doing. Probably best let them arrange airport pick up rather than try to guess your timing to meet for check-in. Transfer cost less than a taxi anyway.  , Australia ()
5   Great Place to Stay! Whether staying for a day or a month, I'd definitely recommend staying at Borneo Seahare. From the moment they picked me up from the airport, Wesley and Teresa were fantastic hosts for the month I stayed there. The hostel is spotless and really well maintained, and there's all day breakfast and water which is great, as well as hot showers. Location is very central and you can easily walk to everything important. Even better is the huge amount of information and advice they can give you about all the amazing things to see around Kuching. I think it was also the little things that made this place so good -- thoughtful things like making sure you can eat the bread if you have allergies. If you're staying for a bit longer then, be warned, you may be involved in various city festivals! Great fun though. Overall I had a great time staying here, great place and even better hosts.  , New Zealand ()
4  I was met at the airport although my flight was one hour late and Wesley and Teresa were nonplussed by this. They also took me to the hospital as I had to have some stitches removed from a head wound. Very helpful and pleasant couple. They explained where to go and what buses to use. At the time I was the only guest so it was fine. It was very clean and the cutlery and crockery was spotless. They left cereal, bread, tea,coffee, and milk. As they were not there, Wesley's mother came one day with extra bread and some cakes, a very nice gesture. My recommendations would be to have a mirror in the bedrooms or the passageway and a settee or easy chairs near the computer would make it feel more cosy. Also a decent TV and or a radio would have been nice, especially as I was alone. My only fear would be that if the hostel was full, it would be rather crowded as there were only two toilets/showers. However overall a very pleasant place to stay and not too noisy.  ()