Black Sheep Backpackers Lodge

If you're visiting Queenstown for adventure sports or even just to party, Black Sheep Backpackers Lodge is a great place to base yourself for that home-away-from-home feeling. Its facilities may not be ultra-modern but it still has the right atmosphere to help make your trip memorable.

Black Sheep offers more peace and quiet than its centre-of-town alternatives, yet it is only a few minutes' walk from from Queenstown's many restaurants, cafes, bars, and nightclubs. Queenstown Airport is a ten-minute drive away and an airport pick-up/drop-off service is available (for a charge). If you are hiring a car, a limited amount of free parking is available at the hostel (on a first-come, first-served basis).

Dorm rooms contain a maximum of six beds and a whole range of private rooms are available to suit all requirements. Unlike many hostels, the beds have very high quality mattresses. In winter, each guest is supplied with a mink blanket, but it may not even be necessary, as rooms can be quite warm. All rooms are cleaned daily and there are no problems with odours. Unfortunately, no lockable storage is available in dorm rooms but there are shelves provided for luggage storage.

Private shower cubicles in all bathrooms are spacious, and hooks are provided for hanging clothing while you shower. There aren't any problems with hot water and pressure is reasonably high. All female bathrooms are fitted with hair dryers.

The vibe at Black Sheep is warm and friendly. In winter you'll fight for a space around the lounge room fireplace, but there are plenty of comfortable bean-bags and couches in front of their big screen TV. Internet terminals are also available for a fee. Decked outside areas are equipped with a BBQ, tables, chairs, and even an outdoor hot tub and pool table. The kitchen is functional and seems to be very clean. A few washing machines and dryers are provided in a small laundry, although they are a little expensive.

Summary

Black Sheep really has all the ingredients for the perfect hostel and no major negative points. Whether you're a solo traveler or a family traveling on a budget, it's definitely worth checking out.

July 2011

How is Black Sheep Backpackers Lodge rated on other websites?
1   Customers are NOT respected here.disappointing + doesn't deliver Extremely disappointing. Only good thing about this place is the location. All staff we encountered (except for one lady) -- including managers I believe -- were rude and chose to be nice to the odd guests and completely unaccommodating to others. Does NOT deliver on what the website promises. But, if you do give them some negative feedback, they will not listen to try and improve their business instead just give you rude answers. They care about money not customer satisfaction and this became more and more apparent during our stay. Apparently 6 bed dorms can be easily converted into 8 bed dorms by taking out the only good thing in the room -- a couch.  , New Zealand ()
5   GREAT SPOT This was a really great spot and would happy come back. 2 minutes out of the town, so easy walk. Showers are hot and powerful, never run out like at some of the place, well not for us anyway. Would recommend.  , uk ()
5   Awesome staff, nice, and warm This place is awesome. the girls and guys working here, including the cleaners, were so helpful! the mountain just opened and they booked all my skiing for me, the whole lot so i didnt have to think about anything! I think its the manager was especially accommodation as my friend cant sleep on top bunks! he always falls out (yes hes odd) but the manager guy saved us bottom bunks. this made our stay in queenstown really, the snow was pretty cool for the first few days in the season. was a pretty sweet location pretty chilled but just two minutes walk into town. would definitely recommend.  , USA ()
1   Annoying staff There was something really wrong with the guy in the reception. I wanted to change my booking in a way which was actually good for them. I found someone else who wanted to stay for one night instead of me, and I wanted to transfer my booking to a later date and book more nights. He refused, claiming it's against the rules and couldn't be reasoned with. He also claimed that he owns the hostel, which I really doubt. Eventually after I threatened to write a complaint against him, he agreed to give me back my money and I went to another hostel. This was a very stupid solution on his part.  , Israel ()
5   Breath of Fresh Air This hostel is a breath of fresh air after staying elsewhere! The rooms were really clean the the staff were really friendly and informative, the kitchen was really nice too, and the hot tub is an added extra! I would recommend this hostel every traveler. it's just ten minutes' walk to Queenstown's main hub.  , UK ()
5   Very Clean with Modern Rooms, Sky TV, and Parking We stayed in a double in Black Sheep Backpackers for $60 a week before Christmas. The rooms where spacious had modern double beds, TVs, and tea and coffee making facilities. Despite being full the hostel was quiet, and staff man the reception twenty-four hours which ensures no one is running about at all hours. The showers and bathrooms are spacious and clean, with powerful, hot showers. The kitchen is large and has the standard backpacker appliances available. The free breakfast was good with loafs of bread, jam, butter, milk, and three types of cereal left out. However it is not replenished. The TV room has comfy couches and plenty of space with a large TV (with proper sky -- forty channels), DVD, and video player. The lodge has around forty videos which can be watched free of charge. It's handy if you want a quiet night after rafting. The lodge itself is located about a five-minute walk from the centre and its very easy to get to. The staff seem to be mainly brazilian, and seemed helpful enough. This was one of the best hostels i've stayed at on my trip and puts most of the Australian hostels to shame. It's clean, modern, well located, quiet, and friendly.  , Scotland ()
4   Good Option in Queenstown We stayed two nights at the Black Sheep in a private double in May 2007. Our room was a little cramped but clean, and it had a TV that actually picked up a few channels. Despite high occupancy, the place was pretty quiet during my visit, which was fine for me. The free breakfast was reduced to scraps by the time I made it upstairs each morning. The Black Sheep is about eight- to ten-minute walk from the city center, not the best location, but not bad either. There is parking available.  , USA ()
4  I liked it here. The staff were really friendly and the rooms were spacious and clean. The kitchen is nice and big with everything you need and you get free breakfast if you're quick as well. It's a bit quieter than some of the other Queenstown hostels but still close to town.  , UK ()