Rodos Youth Hostel

Bring your own toilet paper and toilet seats at the Rodos Youth Hostel. This place offers beds to sleep on, a bunch of rules and that's about it -- no toilet paper, no toilet seats, no hot showers after five p.m. and before eleven a.m., no internet, no breakfast. The common room consists of a bunch of old chairs around a couple of old tables with some old pot plants in a concrete courtyard.

In the Lonely Planet it says "in the old town, off Agio Fanouriou, this place has a lovely garden and a couple of excellent value studio's out the back" -- well it is in the old town and it might have some good value studios (we weren't in them), but the garden is some old potted plants on a concrete yard and everything else about the place is poor.

The hostel is an old building in the old town and easy to find if you have directions, and takes about a five- to ten-minute walk from the port. The dorm rooms and bathrooms are old just like the rest of the place and, while not dirty, they're not particularly clean either. There's a kitchen and you can do your laundry here, plus a good book exchange. The owner who runs it is nice enough. Overall there are better and cheaper places to stay in Rhodes old town.

June 2006

How is Rodos Youth Hostel rated on other websites?
1   Dreadful, not worth existing I've been to a lot of places in the world in my life, but this is an embarrassment for the human race. It's a dirty pigpen; the window curtains or you could say the stripes of cotton, look as if they have never been cleaned. The shower is in the toilet and is not hygienic. To save energy the lights in the corridor switch off automatically. It's good to try to reduce the use of energy nevertheless it becomes dangerous when you suddenly stand in the dark on the staircases. The owner moans about changing the sheets of the beds, while if you look at the condition of the place that's probably the only thing they do. I also have my doubts if the place satisfies the safety regulations. Besides of that, the furniture in the garden is all broken or fixed without attention. So that's probably annoying me most of this place; the lack of attention and love the owners want to put in there own place. They' re taking advantage of young people who accept everything as long as it is cheap. So if you have a little bit of self esteem and you think you are more worth than a pig; don't visit this place. I hope the owners are going to do better; it's sad to see that your customers don't deserve a better place than this!!  , age 30, NL ()
2   If you have no other option The sanitary facilities are not hygienic and very primitive. The showers are in the toilet cabins, the washbasins, showers and the toilets are crammed in a very small and dark space on the ground floor, no toilets or showers on other floors. The pillows and bedsheets were from synthetic I guess so at night at around 30 C they make you sweat so bad I had to put towels on them to be able to sleep. There is a WiFi service but no reception from the rooms you have to be close to the courtyard where the modem is located. The two stars I gave are, one is for the friendly owners, the second is for the location of the hostel. If these two positive points are good enough for you and you are really on a tight budget go and stay there, otherwise I don't recommend it.  , age 39, turkey ()
5   Very friendly, loved it! We were there this year and we loved it! the staff is very friendly, they let us taste some of the very lovely greek food and we had very nice conversation with them. They make you feel at home. It is also clean and has a charming courtyard. It's cheap too!! Definitely recommended.  , age 25, Spain ()
4   Really nice people and a great location I stayed here for 3 nights and really enjoyed my time. The owners are wonderful people, and treat you like family. I met some very interesting travelers here as well. People are quite laid back, cook together, spend some time in the evening or afternoon just talking in the courtyard ... it's a nice feeling. And for the price, it can't be beat!  , USA/BRA ()
5  I spent all my holidays there, delightful, I must say. wonderful place, but most wonderful people, the owners. very openminded, social, often invited to eat together, never had money problems. it's right in the middle of the old town of rodos, but also only twenty minutes away from the beach. I think, I should return ...  , slovenia ()
4   Very nice I loved it, the place is charming, the location and the building itself are unique, you won't find the same mix of beauty and atmosphere in other more modern hotels in Rhodes Town! It has a colourful internal courtyard where you can hang out, it's cheap, and super friendly.  , Italy ()
4   Great The hostel was a life saver as i didnt have anywhere to stay, very cheap, people that owned it were lovely! Amazing location in old town, very hildy wildy. Will return! Treated me like one of the family, would recommend it to anyone traveling alone, very safe! Met lots of friends there as well!  , england ()
3   I liked it! i think that this hostel was very friendly and the owner was friendly. i went there with my family and we all had a nice time. if i will go again to Rhodes i would like to stay again there. also about this pictures i want to say that maybe the person who put them didn't like this hostel. i don't know why but my family and i had a really great time!!!  , england ()