HI - Portland, Northwest Neighborhood Hostel

HI - Portland, Northwest Neighborhood Hostel fulfills all the Hostelling International standards of comfort. Expect a very nice and quiet hostel, with plenty of comfort, and friendly staff.

The hostel is located in the Northwest neighbourhood of Portland, just one MAX-stop outside the Fairless Square. The hostel has its own little parking space where you can park your car, and there's a park just one block away. Shops, restaurants, and pubs are on the popular 23rd Avenue, the heart of the NW district, only a five-minute walk away.

The hostel offers private rooms, female, male, and coed dorms, all of which lock with electronic cards. Every room as large lockers to store your bags. Some rooms have bathrooms ensuite, and there are other bathrooms in the corridors. All facilities are large and extremely clean, with hooks and even some bath products provided.

The hostel consists of two main buildings. Every building has its own large kitchen with seating area. The kitchens are fully equipped, has a large fridge, and there's free bread. There's an outside secret garden, book exchange shelves, luggage storage, and free wireless internet.

There is no smoking inside, nor in the garden, and a no alcohol policy after 9 p.m. The hostel is very friendly, but it is not a party hostel. Because of the price and comfort, it also attracts some older travelers. The price is pretty standard for all HI hostels, and in Portland you don't have many options if you're on a tight budget.

Summary

This hostel offers great comfort at a good price. It is close to all places you would probably like to see.

August 2009

How is HI - Portland, Northwest Neighborhood Hostel rated on other websites?
HI - Portland, Northwest Neighborhood Hostel Reviews from the Web
5   Great spot! Beautiful building, helpful front desk, very affordable rates. Great experience! Only complaint is that i was on the top bunk of a creaky, shaky bed.  , age 27, Usa ()
5   Better than what i expected! I was caught off guard with what it was we had purchased. I was expecting some cheap motel looking like place. Little did we know we were in for a treat. Upon our arrival we were treated very kindly by the person in the front desk. She took us on a tour of the hostel and showed us all their is to do. I was very pleased with our stay and miss it so much that i cried before i left. Not to mention everyone in Portland is so lovely and caring. I was overwhelmed with Love. Thank you for all the hard work!  , age 23, California ()
5   It was great and affordable part of my trip It was clean and most of the people working there were friendly and helpful. It is a great location for connecting to downtown Portland. When I stayed there at the beginning of the peak season, it was full every night, so reservations needed to be made a few weeks ahead of time.  , age 30, U.S. ()
4   Nice place, convenient location It's located in a very nice 19th century building in an attractive neighborhood. Great location for walking around the city, near grocery stores and the Amtrak station. Staff were not very friendly though, so this place had a less welcoming vibe than many hostels I've stayed at. But maybe that's Portland culture.  , age 33, USA ()
5   Definitely one of the better hostels I've stayed in. A really nice looking old building. They were in the middle of some renovations, so I can only imagine it will look even better soon enough. The Secret Garden was definitely a nice feature as well. Only improvement I could suggest is a common area for lounging. I find it way easier to meet other travelers while sitting on a couch. Also, it'd be nice to have a couch to sit on in general after a long day of walking and sightseeing. The location is pretty much perfect. I love to walk over taking transit when I'm in a new city and this hostel is really in an ideal location for that. It also probably helps that Portland is very walkable. The staff has taken the time to post a lot of suggestions and information around the hostel to help you find things to do. They are also pretty knowledgeable and friendly, so don't hesitate to ask what you should do if you can't decide. I've done a lot of backpacking and hosteling; I've probably stayed at over 100 hostels. This one is definitely one of the better hostels I've stayed in. Also, there were 3 different infant babies (with parents of course) staying at the hostel during the 4 nights I stayed. So you have to be comfortable with that possibly happening. Also, even though there was a no pet policy, there was definitely a guy with a dog staying in the hostel for 3 of the 5 days I was there. He had the dog in the kitchen, common rooms and one of the bedrooms that I witnessed. I am hoping it was a guide dog of some kind, but there was no evidence of that and the hostel staff was aware of the animal. So be warned of babies and pets at this hostel.  , Canada ()
5   Great location, kitchen, staff, nearby activities. I have stayed here twice visiting local colleges, once in 2009 in the spacious pvt room at the front of the bldg next door, and in 2/2012 in a tiny pvt room in the newly added bldg that faces Glisan St. We had a great experience both times; walked to local parks, dining, and groceries; took advantage of free tours (art walk) offered through the hostel; enjoyed the delicious free bread; and appreciated the helpful staff and clean rooms, bathrooms, and kitchens. The bathroom sink was "under repair" with no visible work done the 3 days we were there. Would have been nice to have hand sanitizer available.  , USA ()
5   Great location, good service, excellent facility! I spent 3 nights at this hostel in August 2010. I have no complaints. It was a 5-minute walk to the Max Red Line which goes directly to the airport. Convenient walking distance to downtown and other neighborhoods. Safe location, in an historic house that has been well cared for. Spacious and well-equipped kitchen and dining area with free bakery bread in the a.m. and pastries on the weekend. Helpful staff. Two outdoor patios, including a non-smoking patio. Scheduled activities. What else could a traveler ask for? And all at a very reasonable price. I'd recommend it and stay there again.  , USA ()
3   I had a bad experience because of Adam the jerk at the front desk I'll admit that this was only the second hostel I have ever stayed at. First, avoid Adam at the front desk. He seems mild and timid, but actually he's very passive aggressive and makes very arrogant, condescending, unnecessary offensive comments. Abby checked me in and was very polite and sweet. But an hour later when I asked Adam at the front desk if they provide a continental breakfast (the HI I stayed at the day before DID), he said they offer bread (and water?) "as was explained to me when I checked in." Well excuse me for forgetting something they told me at check in. What a dbag. So I asked him if there's anything to put on the bread (like cream cheese or jelly?), and he didn't just say no, he made some snarky remark about that's my choice and some guests do. In other words, he wouldn't just say, no we don't provide any spreads for the bread. Then I asked Adam the jerk, what time checkout was, and he said noon. I was so irritated with him at this point that I asked him if that was also explained to me at checkin (it was not), and instead of answering the question, he made it clear that noon was the standard time for checkout at most all the hostels. (The one I stayed at the day before had checkout at 11am and it was clearly posted, but at this hostel, it was not.) So ignore Adam. I spoke to Abby in private about Adam to ensure I wasn't being overly sensitive and she immediately understood my concern and has heard this complaint before and witnessed Adam's terrible tone. She said he even speaks to his mother that way. Why does he still work there? When I told her I was going to confront him and she said I would probably just get more irritated. There were 6 beds, so the room was crowded. The house is old and creaks when anyone walks anywhere, so it's always noisy. There's no a/c. There's only one mens bathroom on each floor with only 1 shower stall, so you have to wait. Because of Adam, I won't stay here again, I suggest you don't either. Everybody says that people in Portland are friendly, but I didn't experience that. I don't know what they are talking about. People in SLC Utah are friendly. People in Portland act odd. I can't describe it. They are very slow and don't care about customer service. Even the waiter at Roxy wasn't friendly. He just did his job and barely made eye contact with me. I'm a very friendly approachable person, but people in Portland are not engaging.  , USA ()