Adelaide Hostel & Hotel

Adelaide Hostel & Hotel is a great hostel to stay at while in San Francisco. It is centrally located, it has a nice atmosphere, and while quite expensive and not very clean, it is one of our favourites.

The hostel is located a few blocks from the Powell Street BART station, which, in turn, is on the same line as the airport, about half an hour away. There is street parking available, but it might be hard to find a spot, due to the popularity of the area. Although the hostel is located in an alleyway, the sign is visible, and the entrance is not difficult to find.

The rooms are large enough and there are metal lockers for everyone. There is a sink and a mirror in the dorm rooms. The rooms are unfortunately not very clean. The carpets need some deep cleaning, and the walls could use a fresh coat of paint. The sheets are clean, but the blankets have holes and they are a little too worn out to still be used. The top bunks don't have any guard rails, but we observed the same thing at another hostel in San Francisco, so it might not be hostel-specific, but standard for the city. The internet reception in the rooms is very poor. The bathrooms are clean, and there are enough hooks and shelves. The toilets are separate from the showers, which is very useful.

There is a very nice common room on the ground floor, as well as a large kitchen and sitting area in the basement. The main common room is clean and very nicely decorated. It has comfortable armchairs and couches, and several head lamps. It has a very nice, laid-back atmosphere and it is a good place to meet people. The hostel organizes daily activities as well, which is another good way of meeting people. The kitchen is large enough for several people to be cooking at the same time, and it is well equipped with electrical appliances, pots, pans, and utensils.

Summary

This is one of our favourite hostels. It is centrally located, it has a very nice vibe and the common areas are very nice. The rooms are not great, but if you're in a dorm you probably won't be spending too much time there anyway.

by Monica
January 2013

How is Adelaide Hostel & Hotel rated on other websites?
5   AWESOME HOSTEL This hostel is great! Very friendly staff and very cool place and rooms. I had an allergic reaction to the detergent and the manager put me in a private room without extra charge. Good service!  , age 28, Danish ()
4   Nice hostel, clean and nice staff One of the best hostels I have ever been too! Cool people, nice staff and old building but remodeled, clean and comfortable.  , age 35, Catalunya ()
5   Very nice! This was the best place my friend and I stayed on our visit out of three separate Hostels. We had a little bit of trouble finding it at first (it's tucked back in an alley) but once we did, WOW! The location was new looking, the staff was friendly, and we felt very at home in the common room. Our room was up a few flights of very steep stairs and a kind, young gentleman offered to carry our luggage. Once we reached our room we met our friendly (all female) roommates and after freshening up at the sink located conveniently in our room, we all went and purchased some pizza recommended by the staff. We brought the delicious, fresh meal down to the kitchen/dining room and all enjoyed each others company in front of a newly released movie they had playing. After sleeping soundly in the cozy room, we had the best breakfast ever: they had all kinds of bread, bagels, english muffins with every topping imaginable (including Nutella)! The best part BY FAR was the fresh fruit and drinks. I must have had three cups of cantaloupe, grapes, strawberries, pears, apples, oranges ... YUM. I would definitely stay here again, it was well worth the extra few dollars.  , USA ()
3   Good hostel, nice staff, BUT way too expensive Good breakfast, clean bathrooms, awesome lobby and the location is perfect. but 45$ per night for a dorm room are too much for a YOUTH HOSTEL.  , Germany ()
5   Great hostel with amazing people! 7 days spent at the Adelaide Hostel on July 2011 and on every single day, we met really nice staff!! The rooms and bathrooms are cleaned every day and we never had to wait for the shower to be available! But one of the best things was the huge and delicious breakfast prepared by Ricco every morning. His porridge is particularly fabulous! And for only 5 or 6 dollars you can have a really tasty dinner every single night! The pub crawls organized by Will on friday and saturday nights are also one of my best memories! Will knows the best places to go to in SF!! After 7 days spent there we were sad to be leaving this amazing place! Enjoy your stay there!  , France ()
5   Awesome. Perfect for solo travelers, very sociable. Not much I can add to the reviews that are up already. This is one great hostel. Clean, good location (stay out of the Tenderloin at night, though), friendly staff, free breakfast, free internet. Lockers in the room. What makes it really excellent is all the activities they organise: city walks, dinner for 5$ in the evening, pub crawls, this is the perfect place to meet interesting people from all over the world. Highly recommended.  , Belgium ()
4   Great staff, very helpful, 5 dollars dinners were excellent. I arrived from Stockholm late and was told that I could relax in the lounge until check in, that really was great. All in all the staff were friendly, and very helpful. I found that all in all, was a good place to stay, and thought the experience was a very positive one. Breakfast was a little weak, otherwise nothing bad to say at all. The luggage storage really helps, as well as the dinners for 5 dollars, they were GREAT. I have to say, that given my experience traveling, that the Adelaide is above average, and would recommend you utilizing the hostel. It is walking distance to china town, and public transportation will get you anywhere you want for a buck fifty.  , Russia ()
3   Nice hostel with the exception of the staff This hostel would have been ideal if it weren't for the rude staff that work there. The location is terrific right off Union Square. The freebies are nice, including breakfast, wi-fi (and free PCs if you don't have a laptop), and movies. The hostel is kept clean and although the rooms are cramped and the walls could use a fresh coat of paint, they're adequate enough and the bathrooms are private, which is I think preferable to a set of shower stalls in a row in one room. The price is also reasonable. With all those good things going for it, it's a shame that the staff are so terrible. They have a lot of attitude and don't know how to handle the most basic of concerns. No matter what you ask, it'll seem to them like an inquisition. So unfortunately I won't return to or recommend this hostel, despite its many attractions.  , USA ()
Adelaide Hostel & Hotel Reviews from the Web