Pacific Tradewinds Hostel

This is a favorite hostel of many people. The hostel itself isn't anything special, but it always seems to attract a young, fun crowd and it's a great place to meet other young backpackers.

It's a little known fact that the owner of this hostel was the creator of the original Hostels.com (not to be confused with Hostelz.com). (But Hostels.com has since been bought out by a web reservations corporation that now runs it.) It's located in the middle of downtown, next to Chinatown, and not far from the Transamerica Pyramid. The hostel is in a building up four flights of stairs, so be prepared for a bit of a climb. There's a full kitchen, and a little internet access area where you can use the internet for free. The main common area is a long table with chairs and several shelves of reading material.

The sleeping area is upstairs, consisting of a hallway with several rooms. Most of the beds are metal frame bunk beds. Some of the beds are located in a space next to the hallway with no walls or door separating it, so it may be a little harder to sleep if you get put there and you're a light sleeper.

Overall it's an average hostel as far as the actual accommodations, but it's the fun and social crowd that makes it an exceptional hostel to stay at. It also helps that drinking is allowed in the common area. Older travellers would probably feel out of place here, but it's a great choice for young, social backpackers.

Note: They have recently renovated the whole hostel and we hope to return to write a new review with new pictures in the near future.

by David
How is Pacific Tradewinds Hostel rated on other websites?
5   Amazing hostel!!!! No matter if you are staying 1 day or 1 week, it is impossible to not to feel connected to them like a family!!! Staff is the best, they are so friendly and helpful that you may feel like extending your stay a bit just so you can hang out a bit longer with this awesome collection of people from all around the globe! Cheap, great location, clean and super sociable! For sure whenever I am back in SF, this is the place I will stay!!!  , age 33, Brazil ()
5   FANTASTIC The staff are a great group of incredible people who help in every way. They know the area and the best ways to get around, lots of community within their walls. Great facilities, and STAFF! Best place I've stayed yet.  , age 29, US ()
5   Great place to meet people + convenient location great staff, perfect place to socialize, great vibe. location is also good -- Chinatown, not much happening around, but close to the main subway station. highly recommend. would like to come back again.  ()
5   Great hostel with friendly staff I have spent 3 nights at the Pacific tradewinds and really had a good time. The hostel is made to meet other travelers and connect with the staff. When you would get lost in the long hallways of other big hostels. Here it is just easy and more intimate. All travelers meet around the common room and kitchen. Big thank you to Courtney and all her staff for breaking the ice!  , age 26, france ()
5   Perfect mix between friendly place and a tightly-run ship Stayed for four nights and had a very good experience! Together with one other place in Antwerp, this is the best hostel I've ever frequented. Pros -- Right next to Chinatown. Good atmosphere: staff is involved but not overbearing. Plenty of room for socialising and party, yet it's still lights out and quiet after 12am, which is very good for those who make plans for the morning. great service, with the devil being in the details: free printing of boarding passes, free tea/coffee/breakfast, lockers, free computers. Con -- most amenities, like the common room, are quite small, so it can become a little cramped during peak hours.  , age 26, Netherlands ()
5   Super helpful staff, great location, and friendly atmosphere! This was the first hostel I ever stayed at, and it left a fantastic impression. My friend and I were going to stay with an acquaintance for our first two nights in San Francisco, and then sleep at the hostel our third night. When we got into town, however, the acquaintance didn't pick up his phone. Not knowing anywhere else to go, and carrying heavy luggage, we went to Pacific Tradewinds and explained our situation. The staff were very helpful and let us store our bags there for the day. Due to some miscommunication with the acquaintance, we actually ended up booking beds at Pacific Tradewinds for our first night too. The hostel is clean, feels very secure, and I got a great night's sleep after a long day. We came back our third night, as planned, and went on an awesome outing to a 21+ event in Golden Gate Park's Science Museum. The hostel also offers tours, group dinners, and other fun events. I even ended up meeting a few people who I hope to stay in contact with!  , United States ()
5   This place helped make my trip incredible! This hostel is fantastic, if you are a 20-something who enjoys hanging out with cool young people from around the world. The atmosphere is relaxed, super friendly and welcoming. I would definitely stay there again. BONUS: the location is next to so many cool things! I highly recommend this hostel.  , USA ()
5   The place to be! Friendly and social. I was supposed to stay only for one night and the keep couch surfing around the city, but when I met David, all the staff and the other travelers I felt welcomed right away and decided to stay for 2 extra nights even though I had a free place to stay. Pacific Tradewinds is in a cool location, close to bus and train stations. The staff is awesome and very helpful and they do their best to make the hostel a very socially international place rather than a simple cheap accommodation for travelers. They always organize events and nights out and they truly helped me make the best out of my experience in San Francisco. Definitely recommended.  , Italy ()
Pacific Tradewinds Hostel Reviews from the Web