Pacific Tradewinds Hostel

This is a favorite hostel of many people. The hostel itself isn't anything special, but it always seems to attract a young, fun crowd and it's a great place to meet other young backpackers.

It's a little known fact that the owner of this hostel was the creator of the original Hostels.com (not to be confused with Hostelz.com). (But Hostels.com has since been bought out by a web reservations corporation that now runs it.) It's located in the middle of downtown, next to Chinatown, and not far from the Transamerica Pyramid. The hostel is in a building up four flights of stairs, so be prepared for a bit of a climb. There's a full kitchen, and a little internet access area where you can use the internet for free. The main common area is a long table with chairs and several shelves of reading material.

The sleeping area is upstairs, consisting of a hallway with several rooms. Most of the beds are metal frame bunk beds. Some of the beds are located in a space next to the hallway with no walls or door separating it, so it may be a little harder to sleep if you get put there and you're a light sleeper.

Overall it's an average hostel as far as the actual accommodations, but it's the fun and social crowd that makes it an exceptional hostel to stay at. It also helps that drinking is allowed in the common area. Older travellers would probably feel out of place here, but it's a great choice for young, social backpackers.

Note: They have recently renovated the whole hostel and we hope to return to write a new review with new pictures in the near future.

by David
How is Pacific Tradewinds Hostel rated on other websites?
5   Great place to meet people + convenient location great staff, perfect place to socialize, great vibe. location is also good -- Chinatown, not much happening around, but close to the main subway station. highly recommend. would like to come back again.  ()
5   Great hostel with friendly staff I have spent 3 nights at the Pacific tradewinds and really had a good time. The hostel is made to meet other travelers and connect with the staff. When you would get lost in the long hallways of other big hostels. Here it is just easy and more intimate. All travelers meet around the common room and kitchen. Big thank you to Courtney and all her staff for breaking the ice!  , age 26, france ()
5   Perfect mix between friendly place and a tightly-run ship Stayed for four nights and had a very good experience! Together with one other place in Antwerp, this is the best hostel I've ever frequented. Pros -- Right next to Chinatown. Good atmosphere: staff is involved but not overbearing. Plenty of room for socialising and party, yet it's still lights out and quiet after 12am, which is very good for those who make plans for the morning. great service, with the devil being in the details: free printing of boarding passes, free tea/coffee/breakfast, lockers, free computers. Con -- most amenities, like the common room, are quite small, so it can become a little cramped during peak hours.  , age 26, Netherlands ()
5   Super helpful staff, great location, and friendly atmosphere! This was the first hostel I ever stayed at, and it left a fantastic impression. My friend and I were going to stay with an acquaintance for our first two nights in San Francisco, and then sleep at the hostel our third night. When we got into town, however, the acquaintance didn't pick up his phone. Not knowing anywhere else to go, and carrying heavy luggage, we went to Pacific Tradewinds and explained our situation. The staff were very helpful and let us store our bags there for the day. Due to some miscommunication with the acquaintance, we actually ended up booking beds at Pacific Tradewinds for our first night too. The hostel is clean, feels very secure, and I got a great night's sleep after a long day. We came back our third night, as planned, and went on an awesome outing to a 21+ event in Golden Gate Park's Science Museum. The hostel also offers tours, group dinners, and other fun events. I even ended up meeting a few people who I hope to stay in contact with!  , United States ()
5   This place helped make my trip incredible! This hostel is fantastic, if you are a 20-something who enjoys hanging out with cool young people from around the world. The atmosphere is relaxed, super friendly and welcoming. I would definitely stay there again. BONUS: the location is next to so many cool things! I highly recommend this hostel.  , USA ()
5   The place to be! Friendly and social. I was supposed to stay only for one night and the keep couch surfing around the city, but when I met David, all the staff and the other travelers I felt welcomed right away and decided to stay for 2 extra nights even though I had a free place to stay. Pacific Tradewinds is in a cool location, close to bus and train stations. The staff is awesome and very helpful and they do their best to make the hostel a very socially international place rather than a simple cheap accommodation for travelers. They always organize events and nights out and they truly helped me make the best out of my experience in San Francisco. Definitely recommended.  , Italy ()
5   Pacific Tradewinds I had an excellent time in San Francisco and the Tradewinds, so much so that my original 4 day stay turned into 9 days. When traveling alone, it's the people that make a place what it is, the staff at the hostel are great, they will do anything to make your stay more enjoyable, and the clients of the hostel were, for the most part, all very nice people, and ive made some new friends from far away lands. The hostel is clean and well run, a definite recommendation for anyone wanting a small, chilled out hostel in San Fran.  , England ()
5   Awesome hostel with bags of character! I have stayed in a lot of backpacker hostels over the years & I can say with confidence that I have, by far, had the most enjoyable experience at the Pacific Tradewinds. PT is perfectly located in the heart of the city so close to many of the popular neighbourhoods, & public transport to other areas is conveniently close by. The hostel has enormous amounts of character, added to by the team of staff who work there. Friendly and welcoming, they all have a vast knowledge of the San Francisco, not only of the traditional tourist areas, but their own personal favourite spots, which is well worth paying attention to while you visit. Regular nights out were organised by the staff, or other guests, who were an eclectic mix, and if you're lucky, someone is cooking up a storm in the kitchen. The atmosphere had a great vibe and I looked forward to coming back after a long day out in the city. PT was always well kept, and clean and tidy. The shower rooms were bright and airy, with warm, powerful showers. Dorm rooms were not too large, 8 beds being the most, and the beds were comfortable. The beds were even bolted in to the wall for extra stability in case of an earthquake! There was plenty of secure, easy access, storage under the beds for backpacks and personal belongings, and at checkout, somewhere to store bags during the day. PT had a real home away from home feeling. So much so I wanted to stay and was very sad to leave. I have been back home for weeks now and am actually homesick for San Francisco! I met some awesome people during my stay, and made some good friends. One day I hope to go back to visit. It was truly an amazing end to so many months of traveling. Finally, special mention also needs to be made to Dave, the manager. A lovely chap who does his job with an infectious enthusiasm that really made me smile. He was a great help on my last day when I had trouble confirming my flight home as my airline was on strike. He and the other staff make PT the place it is and I hope I've done justice reflecting that in this review.  , British ()
Pacific Tradewinds Hostel Reviews from the Web