The Avenues Hostel

A big hostel located in a nice residential neighborhood about half a mile from the temple in the center of town. There is bus service not far from the hostel, but buses aren't frequent so it may be quicker to walk to downtown from the hostel.

Inside it's a bit of a maze of hallways and rooms. There are two kitchens, at least two TV/sitting areas, and more than a few bathrooms. The main sitting area has some couches and a large selection of movies on tape. There's a small computer area with internet access, but it isn't cheap and you're better off walking up the street to the local library branch where you can get free internet access.

The beds are metal-frame bundbeds. You get a thick duvet to keep you warm, and you might need it in the winter since not all of the rooms are well heated. The condition of the hostel is about average at best. The quality of the showers and bathrooms vary, so you can hunt around the hostel for the best facilities if you're picky.

by David
How is The Avenues Hostel rated on other websites?
The Avenues Hostel Reviews from the Web
1   This hotel doesn't honor confirmed bookings! Avoid! DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOSTEL! My girlfriend and I booked this hostel way back in March 2013 for a trade show in July/August 2013. While we amended the dates in April, the hostel confirmed this was ok. We then received an abrupt email in mid June cancelling our booking. Apparently their computer system crashed and our reservation was lost in the process. During the restoration process they unknowingly overbooked their private rooms so they cancelled our reservation. As we are in Salt Lake City for a trade show, the only accommodation we could book at this late stage is much further out and more expensive. The hostel have offered no compensation or help and show no remorse. The guy we dealt with (San), is useless. Bookings mean nothing to them and if someone books for longer than you and they can make more money, expect to lose your confirmed booking.  , age 33, Australian ()
4   Good honest accommodation with helpful staff and comfy beds This is one of the cheaper hostels we've come across in our travels and gave us one of the best nights sleep. We hired a semi private room for $22.50 each, which was $2 more than a dorm. Firstly, Mark and the other staff are really helpful and friendly, and more than happy to field any questions. Secondly, the rooms, beds, showers and common areas are clean. Thirdly, breakfast is included and although it is only basics (coffee, eggs, toast, cereal), it provides all a hungry traveler needs (esp. for the price). Finally, there are a couple of things that could be improved such as, lockers in the rooms and more seating area in the kitchen. However, this hostel is a good honest nights sleep at a low price in a really nice area. Would come back in a heart beat.  , Aus ()
4   Good hostel in a great location! I stay at the Avenues Hostel every time I pass through Salt Lake City to catch the shuttle up to Yellowstone. It's in a really great, walkable neighborhood with lots of big trees, and it's just a few blocks from Sunflower Grocery, Two Creek Coffee House (which has an awesome back garden!), and downtown. The first time I stayed there (December 2009) I thought it was a little on the sketchy side, but since it's cheap and in a great location, I've been back a bunch of times since then, and every time I come back the place gets better. On my most recent stay (June 2011) the women's floor was spotless, with new mattresses and sheets and a bright, clean kitchen. Yeah, there are a few down and out locals staying there, but I feel like the owner is really working on sprucing the place up, and as a solo female traveler I've never felt unsafe there. With continued improvements and more services geared towards hikers, bikers, skiers, snowboarders, and international travelers, I'd say it has the potential to be the best hostel in Salt Lake. I just have one petty complaint -- the black and yellow number stencils on the doors give the place a kind of creepy, institutional feel, and replacing them with something nicer (in better colors!) would go a long way towards making the place look more like a backpackers hostel. With that little gripe out of the way, I would gladly recommend The Avenues to any savvy traveler.  , USA ()
1   BedBugs I woke up with multiple bug bites!! I recently stayed at this hostel based on the above recommendations but found that they are not true. I asked for a refund after showing the bug bites to the owner and was told that I probably have flees and that I came there with them. The place is disgusting!! Also they lock most of the doors so if there was ever a fire your dead. Your better off getting a room at a cheap hotel on state street. Not worth it!! Update: I brought the bedbugs home with me!! DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!  , England ()
4   Good hostel, and has all the standard hostel quirks As a long time hosteler, I have staying in much worse. the place appears to be a converted apartment building. The staff was friendly, and had many great amenities such as wifi, lots of sitting area, computers if you needed them, maps and brochures, and clean sheets. It was a little worn and dirty around the edges, but most hostels are. If you prefer well staffed and pristine conditions, please use a motel. They do lack in some things that would be simple to fix. The shower head sprayed in all directions, not just down. A three dollar head would fix that. The kitchen closes from 11p to 7a, and it would be nice to have coffee or water in the front. They don't prohibit sleeping bags, and I think that is important. We all know sleeping bags are very big carriers of bugs. I didn't see any, but it would be nice if they would take the step that has become common place in many hostels. Be prepared for the extra charges. There is a $10 key deposit, it is refundable but I hate not knowing I need the extra cash ahead of time. If you want a towel, blanket, or things like that there is a charge. Not much but these things can add up if you are not ready for it. I stayed here in winter and was ok without a blanket it was warm enough in the room. YES I WOULD STAY HERE AGAIN. The goal of hostels should be for budget travel, not cheap people. I get very tired of hearing cheap people thinking they should get a motel room for less then 20 bucks a night. These are the same people that miss the idea of the hostel experience. These people are encouraging the fade from hosteling. I remember the days when we would all sit in front of a hostel and talk, someone would play music (some good some bad lol), and we would share the experience. People were that way here, they were into their own things and nobody was interacting much. That seems to be the new trend, we should go back to no TVs in a hostel, and chores being part of the stay.  , USA ()
1   Absolutely awful!! I could not believe how unprofessional this place proved to be. Once arriving in Salt Lake around 11 PM, I had reservations to stay there with a guest. Unfortunately my guest cancelled on me, and the hostel was informed of this through a phone call on my way there. Apparently, there was no reason for calling and leaving a message of this, because when I arrived I was told I had to pay for her room even though she was not there! Terrible! I was basically told I had to pay a late fee of $10 and her rate, which totaled to $50 something extra! I will not refer this place to anyone, I left w/o paying or staying, the place looked disgusting anyways.  , USA ()
1   The Truth- Why Avenues Hostel ratings are rigged? Why Hostelz has the most accurate and unbiased comments? I've been inside the Avenues Hostel several times. Once I met the owner and he was very rude to me. I just feel it is my duty to tell everyone the truth about this hostel. Hostelz has the most accurate and unbiased comments you can find on the web; They have "the good, the bad, and the ugly", just the way the guest originally posted them- un-rigged and pure. Ever wonder why the Avenues Hostel comments at hostelworld and hostelbookers are all so good and different from the ones here in hostelz? If you haven't noticed, then please go there and compare hostelz vs hostelworld and hostelbookers, and you'll understand my question. One of the former managers of the Avenues Hostel told me that they rig their comments and ratings so they can get more bookings and beat their competition. He explained to me how they rigged their comments in Hostelworld booking engine. First, they would ask the travelers to use one of their computers to leave a comment. After the traveler left, they would jump on that computer and go to the browser's history and find the customers ID; then once they had the traveler's personal information they were able to directly edit and change the travelers comment and rating. I believe this story because I am sure they are still doing this right now. If you read the comments here in Hostelz, you will see that they don't match with the comments of hostelworld and hostelbookers. Below you can read an article from KSL, a Utah news station; this article tells the truth about the avenues hostel which doesn't match their ratings and comments; Avenues Hostel allows felons from prison and mentally disturbed-homeless people, that are sent from local church's welfare organizations. Their comments are saying everything the owner wants them to say. He is using these comments to advertise a bunch of lies. If he doesn't do this, then who is going to want to stay there? If you look at their pictures, you will see that their place is a dump, a run down hostel. Below, I am also including a comment I found from a traveler who stayed with them. Comment from virtualtourist: "It's very hard to trust the reviews about this place. The owner would constantly tell guests to write a good review. He also offers incentives if they write a good one. He doesn't like to get anything even remotely bad about the place, and I was kicked out because of my review on another site. (He says there were problems, but they conveniently appeared after I posted the review.)...The security might be an issue. The front door gets locked at night, but there's at least one that remains unlocked at every hour..." -February 2010, skipped_stones, Utah "Neighbors unsettled over Avenues hostel" from KSL: Neighbors unsettled over Avenues hostel July 20th, 2009 at 8:54am By Andrew Adams SALT LAKE CITY -- Neighbors of a hostel in the Avenues are upset about who is staying there. It's intended for travelers, but neighbors say more often it is becoming home for parolees and transients. Next-door neighbor Ezra Jones tells the Salt Lake Tribune somebody backed into his house with a car once, his bike has been stolen and he has even had a guest of the Avenues Hostel at 107 F Street walk into his home. Another woman, who did not want to be identified because she says she has been threatened in the past, says she doesn't understand why this has to be in her neighborhood. "I realize they need a place to live, but does it have to be here in the Avenues?" she asked. "We find that it's difficult to let our grandchildren or our little people come out and play because of the men that are sitting on the walls and on the steps." Police have responded to roughly 150 calls to the Avenues Hostel since January of last year. The owner of the hostel tells the Salt Lake Tribune these are good people who stay there. While he acknowledges some of his visitors are fresh out of jail or prison, he says he's not going to turn them away with his international business down right now. He does say he's considering it. He also has put up security cameras around the building. A Department of Corrections spokesperson tells the Tribune parolees frequent hostels around the valley. Neighbors' Comments from KSL: Our little people" by wilco64256 @ 9:17am - Mon Jul 20th, 2009 "We find that it's difficult to let our grandchildren or our little people come out and play because of the men that are sitting on the walls and on the steps." Odd, I wasn't aware that it was legal to own hobbits in Salt Lake. Our volunteer group... by Codiax @ 9:19am - Mon Jul 20th, 2009 ....from Utah State University stayed there once during a service projsct in SLC. That place was sketchy as hell. We didn't realize it was a fugitive hangout when we booked it. Oops! You grew up there, then you got the hell out when you could, right? by Jack Bauer's Pinky @ 11:14am - Mon Jul 20th, 2009 Would you want Glendale's crime level back in your current neighborhood? Neither do these people. In order to make a buck this hostel owner is letting anyone with two cents to rub together stay at the place regardless of the nuisance they commit in the vicinity. 150 police calls to a single hostel in 18 months? That is absurd for people living in a residential area to have to put up with. Hostels are not supposed to be used for parolees. by Robert84124 @ 12:30pm - Mon Jul 20th, 2009 Hostels are supposed to be places of refuge for travelers that is supposed to be safe and secure. This place sounds far from it. With a call to the police every 6 days. Tells you the crime rate there is unacceptable. Compassion for criminals. Hmmm! How about their victims. By having all the criminals there it lets the innocent Hostel guests as new victims. No this place should be closed. And the owner should not be allowed to open any more. This is supposed to be hostel not a half way house. Little People by Robert84124 @ 12:35pm - Mon Jul 20th, 2009 Some older people refer to children as little people. So those of you who critize this part of the story, show your lack of knowledge. If you going to have a halfway house for convicts. Call it that. Don't have a hostel and run it like a halfway house. That way the unsuspecting tourists who think its a hostel know that they are going to a halfway house not a hostel. My friend by cowboylover1980 @ 1:29pm - Mon Jul 20th, 2009 My friend stayed at this hostel when she got out of prison....somethings she told me about the place, they should not have people who just get out of prison stay there, to many temptations for them... I just don't think it is a safe place, and am very happy she moved out of the place....I think they should go to a "REAL" halfway house to get them on there feet again....that is if they want to change their habits!  , USA ()
5   Very Good I had an excellent experience. The owner/manager was very helpful and addressed any issues I incurred. I would recommend this place to anyone that comes to visit Salt Lake City.  , NYC ()