Birdsong Backpackers

Birdsong Backpackers is a nice hostel out of the town centre, but conveniently located to visit the Glowworm Dell and other highlights of Hokitika. There is a limited Wi-Fi provided and the rooms are kept clean in general. It's a nice place to sit back and relax while enjoying the waves popping in at the beach.

It is some two kilometers north of Hokitika, also a little bit north of the Glowworm Dell, which is a nice place to see at night. However they provide bikes to get around and into town. The beach is just a short walk away and you can see it out of the lounge/kitchen/dining room area. It provides many parking lots and also a save storage for a bike. If traveling with a bus, it might be a little bit of a walk out to the hostel, but it's still manageable.

The rooms provide really good wooden beds and lots of space on which to put clothes, toiletries, and similar stuff. However, there are no lockers provided and it might get cold in the wintertime. The number of bathrooms is very low and so it can get crowded. But the bathroom is kept very clean and provides all facilities one might need. The shower is hot and nice. There is a small bathtub on the outside as well that might need a refurbishment, but is still nice after a sporty day.

The kitchen, lounge, and dining area is all in one room with ocean view and every equipment that is needed to cook a good dish. There is an oven for cold nights as well. The amount of free herbs is great and there are fresh herbs in the outside area as well. The book exchange is quite filled and should give a chance to get a new book. It is definitely not a party hostel, but a place to relax and have a nice time close to Hokitika. The common spaces are kept tidy and in a good-looking state. There is a small shop with some jade stones and other local things attached to the reception.

Summary

This is one of the good places to stay in Hokitika, that provides everything you might need while traveling through New Zealand. If the Wi-Fi weren't so limited, it would be even better!
by ChrisKi
2015-11-25

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Birdsong Backpackers" at 124 Kumara Junction, Highway 6, Two Mile.)

124 Kumara Junction, Highway 6, Two Mile, Hokitika, New Zealand
-42.700902, 170.982861 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.birdsong.co.nz
+643 755 7179

How is Birdsong Backpackers rated on other websites?

Simply excellent!!
until now (some months) the best backpackers in NZ and Australia! We enjoyed the great ocean view from our room, the really fine hospitality from Kerry (owner) with many helpful tips and a warm welcome, the perfectly equipped kitchen (all dishes same fine english style, big wine glasses and so much more), the log fire in the cosy living room, and so many small but excellent details like fresh flowers, pictures, fresh herbs. You really feel that the owners have their passion in this hostel and want to create a perfect (and affordable!) stay for each visitor.
Marc & Sarah
Age 29, Germany
2013-03-27

Above and Beyond!
Clean, comfortable, with great hosts. While bikepacking on our tandem bicycle with my wife, I crashed on the railroad tracks at the Taramakau bridge between Greymouth and Hokitika. I was a bit scraped up, but my wife had landed hard and was really hurting. A nice couple stored our bike and belongings at their house while she took us to the hospital in Greymouth to get checked out and make sure nothing was broken. Thankfully nothing was broken, but it was obvious that the cycling portion of our trip was over. By the time we were done at the hospital, it was too late to get a rental car, and we were 35km from Birdsong (that's an expensive taxi ride) where we had reserved a room for two nights. We called up Kerry, told her the situation, and asked for some advice. Her response -- I'll come pick you up. Not only did Kerry pick us up, she stopped by the grocery store so we could buy some food for dinner. On the drive, I talked about my ideas for how I might be able to get back to Nelson Lakes to get our van. She listened to my ideas, and said "We can do better than that", but she didn't elaborate. The next morning, as we were finishing breakfast, Kerry came to us with a plan for a bus/shuttle trip Nelson Lakes. When I approved it, she quickly reserved my tickets for me. Her help and guidance saved us so much time, effort and money. In addition, while I was traveling to get our van, Kerry made arrangements for my wife to do a carving at Bonz N Stonz. Kerry then gave her a ride into town, as she was unable to walk the distance with her injuries. Way to go above and beyond!!! I would highly recommend Birdsong Backpackers! Not only do they provide clean, comfortable accommodation, but they truly take care of you when the need arises.
Ryan
(New Zealand)
2013-03-18

Great place
It's by far the best hostel i've ever stayed. the host is very friendly and makes you feel welcome from the start. he gave me many good advices of stuff to do in the area. the beds were comfy, the kitchen had everything i needed and it was all very clean. i enjoyed a beautiful sunset in the lounge while i had my dinner and even found some greenstone at the beach across the road. it's been a very relaxing place to stay. don't miss it, if you head to the west coast!
lotti
2010-01-31
The Location Birdsong Backpackers is located two kilometers north from Hokitika. Along the highway, it is very easy to locate if you are going by car, and it has a lot of space for free parking right outside the hostel. It is located in front of the ocean, so you will get some great views. And there is a glowworm cave really close to it that you can walk to -- but it is recommended that you ask the staff to lend you a flashlight, since it is quite dark. Rooms and Bathrooms The rooms are quite clean, but as in every hostel it might be upon your roommates. Rooms are cleaned everyday, and all of them have amazing views either to the ocean or to the gardens of the hostel. The bathrooms are next to the kitchen and there is only one to share on the first floor, so they can be a bit crowded. Common Spaces The place has a really nice kitchen and lounge, which are together with a great fireplace and amazing views to the ocean. You will find everything you need. The lounge has different table games that you can borrow at anytime, as well as a book exchange shelf. Right next to the kitchen there is a deck, where most of the people go out for a smoke. There are a few computers operated by coins that you can use at any time. The hostel it is quite small -- it can accommodate about twenty people, so it does not get overcrowded. There is a hot tub under the stars that the guests can use. Summary This hostel is a great place to stay as long as you have a car, since it is located two kilometers away from the city, but that is all compensated by the great views of the ocean that you have just across the highway. Also the staff are extremely helpful, and they have a great knowledge about the area and can recommend places to visit around that would be of great interest -- if you are not a local you might miss out on them. If you are arriving late let the staff know so they can leave the keys outside for you.
Bottino
(Argentina)
2008-10-23
  This is a nice hostel and the owner is really helpful. However it is a bit out of the town centre if you don't have a car, although it is within walking distance to the glow-worms. There is a good atmosphere to it although more bathrooms are needed and the kitchen can be a bit of a squeeze if a few people are cooking at the one time. It has good soundproofing. I liked it.
Gillian