Metropolis Hostel Istanbul

The charming Metropolis Hostel is tucked away in the Old City of Istanbul. Slightly set back from the main road, it's hidden from tourists and yet remains a ten-minute walk from the main tourist attractions of Topkapi Palace, the Hagia Sofia, and the Blue Mosque. Other sights such as the Grand Bazaar and the Catacombs are only a few minutes further.

The Metropolis Hostel is a four-story building, with small rooms that house two to four beds each. The beds are amazing and could easily be found in a four-star hotel! There are two bathrooms/showers per floor, which is more than adequate as this small establishment contains three rooms per floor. Breakfast is included with the rooms and is served on the roof-top terrace that overlooks the Marmara Sea. It is a traditional Mediterranean breakfast, which may perhaps taste funny to Western palates, but you'll quickly adjust, as the food is fresh and delicious. The owner, Borat, also owns and manages the Metropolis restaurant directly down the street. The food there is the same as the hostel's service -- exceptional.

Unfortunately, there are no common rooms and no kitchen in the hostel. However, the terrace is always open, and there are plenty of tables, chairs, and couches to recline on while watching the boats pass on the Bosphorus. The free internet is on the office computer, so it is not always available. The social life is quite low-key, as the Metropolis Hostel is not a social one.

In all ways, the Metropolis Hostel goes above and beyond to provide the best possible experience in Istanbul. This is not an establishment to be missed. It is the absolute gem among the entire city! It is relaxed, care-free, clean, high quality, and there is no pressure to stay longer or pay more.
by Christina Heggie
January 2007

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Metropolis Hostel Istanbul" at Akbiyik cad.Terbiyik sok. 24.)

Akbiyik cad.Terbiyik sok. 24, Sultanahmet - Old City, Istanbul (İstanbul), Istanbul Province, Turkey
41.005739, 28.981335
00 90 212 5181822

How is Metropolis Hostel Istanbul rated on other websites?

Racist staff! Avoid at all costs!
I was traveling with a friend who has a jewish family name and during check-in the staff (or owner??) made some really rude and unwarranted remarks about jewish people, to which my friend just ignored. Then when I asked about what time is breakfast, he laughed and asked "You want rice? chicken feet?" (I'm half-asian). Needless to say we immediately left and stayed somewhere else. Do not support this racist establishment!
Nancy Dash
Excellent stay and wonderful staff
I came from a neighboring country of turkey. I visited many far-away places, but this was my first time visiting Istanbul, the staff at the reception desk showed very good attitude, trying to the extent possible to offer their help; upon my arrival they offered me with a map recommending most of the memorial to visit during my stay. I do not remember I need anything else not found there. Everything asked was there, starting from money exchange, booking services, to printing out and having internet access. The added value was the excellent terrace with the sea view and acceptable breakfast and drinks, there is no much need to use external restaurant or bar, really enjoyed staying there. The area itself is close to almost everything by walking. The hostel was overbooked, this is why it was difficult for the staff to secure another night for me, but they suggest nearest hostels with their appreciated recommendation.
Age 31
Cold staff and poor facility
Turkish people I meet in Istanbul are very nice and friendly except the staff in reception. They are averse to help or talk to you. And the ferry tour they told me is 20euro, but when I go to the ferry station and book there directly, it only costs 15TL. The facility is also poor, the doors squeaks and the staff doesn't replenish toilet paper in the four days I stayed there, the blanket is dusty as people commented before. Luckily I always Bring sleep bag. And the sea view room is a joke. However, it is a good place to meet friends. The nice and interesting guys I meet there erase the shortage.
Age 20, China
Best Hostel, Fabulous Atmosphere
Metropolis hostel is a great place to stay in old town. Rooms are very nice and we had one with sea view and it was quite clean too and probably the best showers we have had in a hostel. The location is good too. Close to all museums and mosques and right next to Topkapi Palace. You can just take a tram to new town where there are many bars cafes and restaurants. No needs to looks somewhere else, I would stay here again.
just terrific. We had really awesome stay at metropolis. Peaceful and nice hood and realy really great roof bar. Staff made a free shisha for us and it was just great to smoke and meet other fellow travelers. Breakfast served at roof was a very good start. All in all great place to stay in istanbul.
Dusty room and unsympathetic manager
This hostel is overpriced, and, in my opinion, far overrated. The owners are not particularly friendly, especially one who does not have a child. After a relatively sleepless night due to allergies to the dust in my room I asked if I could move rooms. They said I could not but that they would clean the room. In the evening when I returned the same dust was on the floor and the same dusty blanket was on my bed. I asked again if I could change rooms. The manager said I could not. When I told him I could not sleep properly the night before because of the dust he just looked at me and then said "the room was cleaned." I told him the room was still dirty and dusty with the same dust and he said "the room was cleaned." I asked if anything had been changed. He said he didn't know. I asked for suggestions. He gave me none. Eventually I asked for new sheets and a new blanket. These were begrudgingly given to me, but it was made clear that I was making trouble. This is not the friendly and helpful service I read about over and over again in reviews. The location and free wi-fi are good. The breakfast is very ordinary, the facilities aren't so great with steep staircases and noise from hallways coming straight into the rooms. Also, rooms with a 'sea view' are mostly rooms with a view of the next buildings with a very obstructed view of the sea. Definitely not worth the extra $5 per night. Every other place I stayed at in Turkey has a lower rating, but I got better service and I wasn't allergic to the rooms.
Staff unfriendly, and no fun
I booked a 4 pers dorm, but got a 6 pers, without apology (just bullsh*t that the price is the same anyway). Staff is just unfriendly. Rooftop is locked all the time, and there is hardly any light in the common room. Bullsh*t rule about the drinks doesn't help much either, but with bad attitude they are not going to sell any drinks anyway. Looks like they are trying to discourage all fun. Also, very crammed dorms, very few bathrooms. Check out time is really early (10.30), but still my bed was not ready yet when I arrived at 15.00. Anything positive: ok, location is good, but there are tons of other hostels in this area with the same good location.
Good accommodation, but ...
it had really good beds to sleep and a very nice view, but the atmosphere was not so good. the night we (a couple) arrived we slept in a 4 beds room (two beds side by side and two one under the other). we chose the side by side. at 4 o'clock in the morning the guy from the hostel woke us up because a family of three arrived (and they were told beforehand to wait until 10 o clock check time!!!) and told us to move our asses to another room. of course the family was kind and all the 5 of us slept in the room (one should sleep on a mattress on the floor). when a mature family comes we must be abolished. mature costumers are better customers. the stuff was fake and not friendly and the roof top prices were not cheap. a!and the breakfast was not something to mention.this all. (we moved to another hostel.) not recommended except if you are a "chicky" girl to hang out with the hostelers.

Rate Metropolis Hostel Istanbul