Metropolis Hostel Istanbul

The charming Metropolis Hostel is tucked away in the Old City of Istanbul. Slightly set back from the main road, it's hidden from tourists and yet remains a ten-minute walk from the main tourist attractions of Topkapi Palace, the Hagia Sofia, and the Blue Mosque. Other sights such as the Grand Bazaar and the Catacombs are only a few minutes further.

The Metropolis Hostel is a four-story building, with small rooms that house two to four beds each. The beds are amazing and could easily be found in a four-star hotel! There are two bathrooms/showers per floor, which is more than adequate as this small establishment contains three rooms per floor. Breakfast is included with the rooms and is served on the roof-top terrace that overlooks the Marmara Sea. It is a traditional Mediterranean breakfast, which may perhaps taste funny to Western palates, but you'll quickly adjust, as the food is fresh and delicious. The owner, Borat, also owns and manages the Metropolis restaurant directly down the street. The food there is the same as the hostel's service -- exceptional.

Unfortunately, there are no common rooms and no kitchen in the hostel. However, the terrace is always open, and there are plenty of tables, chairs, and couches to recline on while watching the boats pass on the Bosphorus. The free internet is on the office computer, so it is not always available. The social life is quite low-key, as the Metropolis Hostel is not a social one.

In all ways, the Metropolis Hostel goes above and beyond to provide the best possible experience in Istanbul. This is not an establishment to be missed. It is the absolute gem among the entire city! It is relaxed, care-free, clean, high quality, and there is no pressure to stay longer or pay more.

January 2007

How is Metropolis Hostel Istanbul rated on other websites?
Metropolis Hostel Istanbul Reviews from the Web
5   Best Hostel, Fabulous Atmosphere Metropolis hostel is a great place to stay in old town. Rooms are very nice and we had one with sea view and it was quite clean too and probably the best showers we have had in a hostel. The location is good too. Close to all museums and mosques and right next to Topkapi Palace. You can just take a tram to new town where there are many bars cafes and restaurants. No needs to looks somewhere else, I would stay here again.  , usa ()
5   AWESOME just terrific. We had really awesome stay at metropolis. Peaceful and nice hood and realy really great roof bar. Staff made a free shisha for us and it was just great to smoke and meet other fellow travelers. Breakfast served at roof was a very good start. All in all great place to stay in istanbul.  , canada ()
2   Dusty room and unsympathetic manager This hostel is overpriced, and, in my opinion, far overrated. The owners are not particularly friendly, especially one who does not have a child. After a relatively sleepless night due to allergies to the dust in my room I asked if I could move rooms. They said I could not but that they would clean the room. In the evening when I returned the same dust was on the floor and the same dusty blanket was on my bed. I asked again if I could change rooms. The manager said I could not. When I told him I could not sleep properly the night before because of the dust he just looked at me and then said "the room was cleaned." I told him the room was still dirty and dusty with the same dust and he said "the room was cleaned." I asked if anything had been changed. He said he didn't know. I asked for suggestions. He gave me none. Eventually I asked for new sheets and a new blanket. These were begrudgingly given to me, but it was made clear that I was making trouble. This is not the friendly and helpful service I read about over and over again in reviews. The location and free wi-fi are good. The breakfast is very ordinary, the facilities aren't so great with steep staircases and noise from hallways coming straight into the rooms. Also, rooms with a 'sea view' are mostly rooms with a view of the next buildings with a very obstructed view of the sea. Definitely not worth the extra $5 per night. Every other place I stayed at in Turkey has a lower rating, but I got better service and I wasn't allergic to the rooms.  , Australia ()
1   Staff unfriendly, and no fun I booked a 4 pers dorm, but got a 6 pers, without apology (just bullsh*t that the price is the same anyway). Staff is just unfriendly. Rooftop is locked all the time, and there is hardly any light in the common room. Bullsh*t rule about the drinks doesn't help much either, but with bad attitude they are not going to sell any drinks anyway. Looks like they are trying to discourage all fun. Also, very crammed dorms, very few bathrooms. Check out time is really early (10.30), but still my bed was not ready yet when I arrived at 15.00. Anything positive: ok, location is good, but there are tons of other hostels in this area with the same good location.  , Netherlands ()
2   Good accommodation, but ... it had really good beds to sleep and a very nice view, but the atmosphere was not so good. the night we (a couple) arrived we slept in a 4 beds room (two beds side by side and two one under the other). we chose the side by side. at 4 o'clock in the morning the guy from the hostel woke us up because a family of three arrived (and they were told beforehand to wait until 10 o clock check time!!!) and told us to move our asses to another room. of course the family was kind and all the 5 of us slept in the room (one should sleep on a mattress on the floor). when a mature family comes we must be abolished. mature costumers are better customers. the stuff was fake and not friendly and the roof top prices were not cheap. a!and the breakfast was not something to mention.this all. (we moved to another hostel.) not recommended except if you are a "chicky" girl to hang out with the hostelers.  , greece ()
5  great hostel. excellent service. all in all it's the best hostel I've stayed in.  , new zealand ()
5   Great people and excellent hostel Murat and his brothers run a fine hostel and when we first came to Istanbul we stayed three nights. We booked again for our last four nights in Turkey and can say nothing negative about the seven days we spent at the Metropolis. It is clean and well cared for. The staff are wonderful and will help you in every way possible to make your stay more than just enjoyable. Morat is an honest and caring individual who has a sense of humour and caring that is refreshing. He welcomes all and there is no doubt that he creates a home away from home atmosphere bar none. He is honest and forthright and no doubt he would challenge dishonesty and run of the mill "bs" but clearly in a tactful way. If the prices are different when you book on the web so be it. This is the case wherever one goes in Turkey, and why not. It is also the case in Canada. I will come here again and I will stay at the Metropolis or any hostel Morat and his brothers run. You will have fun here, find any help you need, be pleased with the area, and feel safe and secure in the help you receive at the Metropolis. We in our time in Turkey ran into others who stayed here and all laughed and shared the good times with the staff. By the way, I am not a twenty-four-year old traveler. I am a fifty-seven-year-old who works as a probation officer in Canada and find myself a good judge of character. Morat is good people.  , Canada ()
5  the rooftop is great and prices are cheaper than other places. and the owner is very polite nice and helpful. so, if you are nice then people are nice to you.  , uruguay ()