American Dream Hostel 24th Street

American Dream Hostel 24th Street is pretty standard when it comes to dorm-style accommodations.

Although the awning says “American Dream Bed and Breakfast,” it is pretty easy to find and is just a short walk from the 23rd Street subway station. Union Square and the stations located in its proximity are also within walking distance from the hostel, making American Dream a good base camp for those who are attempting to explore New York City in its entirety. Plenty of inexpensive yet delicious New York-style eateries surround the hostel, as well as drugstores, bodegas, ATMs, and coffee shops. It is a relatively safe area, but stays noisy throughout the day and night, so guests may need earplugs to get a good night’s sleep.

The dorm rooms are of average size and cleanliness. There are footlocker-style storage units in each room where guests may secure their belongings for free, provided they have brought their own locks. Other than that there is not much room for luggage, except for some space under the bunk beds. There is a short rack to hang clothes on, but no closet or shelves. The metal bunk beds shake when someone climbs to the top bunk, and you cannot sit comfortably on the bottom bunk, since the top bunk is so low. Though the bedrooms are by no means dirty, they are not thoroughly cleaned each day, so bad smells; hair; and old, dried-up contact lenses from previous guest may linger.

Bathrooms are in-room and are shared with another adjoining room. The bathrooms are very little, and there is no place to put clothing while you shower, except atop the toilet or in the sink. In the mornings the showers may alternate between hot and cold while you are bathing, but the temperature is more consistent later in the day.

The common areas are quite modern and well kept. There is an entertainment room with a flat-screen television, two small tables, and two Wi-Fi-enabled public computers. Free Wi-Fi is also available throughout the hostel. The kitchen is a bit cramped, but it is clean and well-stocked for the free breakfast provided each morning. All types of travelers from all over the world stay at this hostel, though the atmosphere in the common areas can be a bit subdued, even antisocial at times.

Summary

There is nothing notably good or bad about American Dream. It’s an average hostel in an average New York neighborhood, which accommodates average travelers, so it’s a good place for no-nonsense people who like to play it safe.

by Baxter
May 2012

How is American Dream Hostel 24th Street rated on other websites?
4   Good experience I slept in a single. The room was clean, the toilets and showers too. Bed was comfortable and the neighbourhood quiet enough. Definitely a good value in Manhattan. And the situation is unbeatable. The breakfast was also good. Varied choice and good quality. The breakfast room is a little small, but space in Manhattan is scarce I guess. Wifi allowed Skype calls without trouble. I missed a desk in the room, useful if you are in a business trip.  , age 35, Spain ()
5   Warm Welcome to a Huge City, great breakfast, nice and humble people Last year (2012) I decided to begin my U.S.A trip with heading to New York. I stayed at this hostel at the beginning of my trip for 1 night and then at the end of my trip for 1 night; however I would have stayed for the whole trip if I wasn't visiting family! Beds are clean, neat and comfortable! I stayed in a dorm with several other foreigners at the time whom were all asleep when I arrived. In the latter part of my trip I came and stayed in an individual room(which I recommend) as I preferred my privacy as I had accumulated a bit of luggage at that stage. Both sleeps were excellent and the rooms were nice and cool with in-room air-conditioning as well as hand-basins. Overall, I entered this hostel intending to only stay one night with the next few days booked in a 4-star hotel located in a similar burb. I regret booking that hotel as this hostel was much larger, more accommodating, had more perks and an overall better atmosphere; strongly recommended! Perks -- Internet, computers are provided conveniently as well as printers (donations were preferred); Free Breakfast is an amazing breakfast including eggs, waffles, pancakes, fruit, cereals, toast and unlimited coffee/tea! Negatives -- Other people in the room can lead to being a bit stuffy however I assume this is the norm in shared rooms. This was my first time at a hostel. Stairs at entrance can prove difficult when carrying heavy luggage.  , Australia ()
4   First hostel experience went pretty good. We stayed there for two nights in one of the private two-bed (max three persons) rooms. We got in the city early and were able to leave our bags in the office until check-in so we could begin our vacation. It seemed to be safe enough to leave our bags, but we had locked the zippers up anyway. Our room was clean, with a TV and AC unit in the window (which came in very handy at night when we woke up in a hot sweat). We had our own sink in the room (but the water pressure was not much more than a dribble, and the drain took forever to drain). The staff were all helpful and accommodating. We really just used the place to sleep at night, and it was good for just that. Didn't really eat breakfast (except for a few doughnuts). It was in a safe neighborhood and close to empire state building and about a twenty-minute walk to times square and Rockefeller Center. We'd stay again if looking for a cheap place to stay in the city. You get what you expect for what you pay. Not recommended for those requiring high maintenance.  , USA ()
1  I stayed there during Feb 2007 for nine nights. During my tenth day there, the owner (Lou) came over to my room and basically very rudely kicked me out because four customers were coming in and it was better business for him. He said to me "pack your bags and get out of the room, there are four customers downstairs and I need the room." When I confronted him and told him "what about my reservation?" he just ignored this fact completely. I had to find a place to stay in the middle of the day with all my bags in the streets of manhattan, really a sh*tty experience in the city. So save yourself some trouble and don't ever go there, whatever it says on their web site about Lou being a great host is BS!  ()
5  We stayed here for four days in September and really couldn't fault it. It was actually better than some of the hotels I've stayed in. The breakfast was excellent and was available until 12 p.m. which we found great. We had a private room with shared bathroom and found it clean and spacious and clean sheets were provided daily. Excellent location!  ()
4  My friend and I stayed in a two-bed room for nine nights. It was nice hostel, with friendly people staying there and a friendly owner. Unfortunately the AC was broken in our room so it was pretty hot, but the summer in NY is hot, and luckily we got a new AC for the last night. The bathroom and shower is clean, but the rest of the house is not too clean, especially the windows and vents. But the housekeeper and her daughter can realy tidy up your room if you ask them. Cocroaches only show up if you put food on the floor. But I never saw one. The only problem is the construction-site next door, which wakes you up at six o'clock every morning, mon-fri. The kitchen is fairly nice, but maybe on the small side. Breakfast is included, but if you grow tired of bread and cereals, there is a great place near by on the corner of Lexington and E24th. A lot of great nightclubs is in walking distance, and the closest subwaystation is at Park ave. and E23th. Thats only three minutes away from the door. Pros include the location, included breakfast, AC (in some rooms). Cons are that it's not too clean. Noisy construction-site.  ()
1  One of the best things is the location -- very convenient to union square and greenwich village. The staff was friendly and there are no curfew hours. As for the rest -- the place is somewhat dirty, with roaches running around unsupervised. Our room had dirty walls. The sheets are were grungy and so was the carpeting in the room and hallways. Though, bathroom and shower room were relatively clean. This is definitely not one of the better places I stayed at.  ()
4  My husband and I stayed at this wonderful hostel and were pleasantly surprised. It was clean, centrally located and safe. Lou personally greeted us as late arrivals. He and his staff were VERY friendly. We liked meeting new people in the common kitchen area in the morning and had interesting conversations. We are in our 50s and were surprised to see that there was a wide range of folks staying there, not just the 20ish crowd. The toilet and bath are located in the hall but were very clean. I would recommend having ear plugs because of the traffic noise. We had a sink in our room and that made it convenient. I would stay there again, even by myself. The room was very small, but this is NY and to be expected. Don't let the look of the place fool you. It is a great value and a great price. Oh, I loved NY. Thanks Lou for a wonderful stay.  ()