Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd

We have stayed at hostels all over the world, and this may be one of the scariest one we have been to.

The hostel is in a decent neighborhood and from the outside looks nice, but inside it is very run down. There is no lock on the front door, so anyone (even people who are not guests) can enter at any time. We were promised a certain type of room, but when we arrived, this type of room was full and only available if we slept on a mattress on the floor. The room that we finally slept in had very dirty carpet and the sheets and blanket did not look like they had been washed. The blanket had a very large stain that looked fresh (we don't even want to know what it is from). Eventually we did get another blanket but still felt grossed out.

The bathrooms are shared by both males and females. Only the toilet has a lock on it. The sinks and mirrors are also in the open area and shared by males and females at the same time. There is no lock on the door so you do not have any opportunity for privacy. The bathrooms are mostly clean, apart from the carpet which looked dirty and stained.

The common areas looked mostly clean, but again the carpet needs to be replaced. Instead of hanging out in the common area, you may want to go to the beach instead.

Some travelers may be ok with this setup and you definitely can't beat the low price and the location close to the beach. We just want others to be fully aware of the condition of this hostel before they make a reservation.

Review by Wendy and Persy Deluca

June 2008

How is Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd rated on other websites?
Venice Beach Hostel - Washington Blvd Reviews from the Web
3   Why can't you put bed frames on the top bunks? I don't understand it! You leave the top bunks on all the beds without frame sidings? After a night of drinking, anyone in their right conscious would move a little in the night and then fall right off the bed. Probably you would break your neck. Even if you aren't drinking, it's scary having no railing. Please fix this.  ()
1   STAY AWAY!! Do NOT go there!! unless you are a kamikaze and you would like to kill everyone and sanitize the premises with a huge explosion ... yes there is not other ways to make it hygienic enough. do not forget to kill the staff ... you will regret it.  , age 26, Italian ()
1   Total slum You are not this desperate. You will never be this desperate. Do yourself a favour, click away from this page and save yourself. It's not too late. Privacy? Hygiene? Sanitation? Beds? All is lost. Chaos reigns. Welcome to Venice Beach Hostel, Yale. Save yourself now from bedbug bites, unsanitary showers, an overwhelming stench of urine. Save yourself from sleeping on the floor on a foam block snuggled up next to strangers. Save yourself. Run. Run. Run. I repeat, You are not this desperate. Sleeping on the sidewalk is a better and more sanitary option. We were unlucky to find it. Perhaps the member of staff who took our booking wanted to save us. Perhaps that is why he gave us completely inaccurate and obscure directions from the bus station. Against all odds, as we were supplied with the wrong bus number and the name of a nonexistent bus stop, the kindness of strangers delivered us to our unhappy fate -- We'd booked in for three nights. Beware the squalor that lies within. Externally this place looks ok. Even the ground floor looks ok. But what lurks upstairs is another world. A world where sanitation is abandoned, where ‘guests' are treated to sweat shop style accommodation. Foam blocks are lined up on the floor (beds are few and far between in this pit). Some poor sod was actually sleeping on a foam block under the stairs. The carpets of the ‘loft' are ridden with filth, the walls visibly soiled, the retro sheets pretty suspect, the ‘lighting' is a desktop lamp (probably best not to see too much of this place anyway though) and the heat stifling.(there's only a desktop fan provided). Sickened by our ‘room', anxious that we might need to share the foam blocks with a stranger (as the proprietor advised may be necessary) and concerned by the blatant disregard for any basic standards of hygiene, we ventured downstairs to the bathroom hoping to wash away the contaminating squalor contracted by sitting on the foam blocks for a mere 5 minutes. Oh the bathroom. The unisex bathroom with one shower cubicle. The bathroom where you have to exit that shower cubicle straight into the shared space where multiple bodies may be shaving/preening/brushing teeth/dressing at any one time. Oh the bathroom with no soap. The bathroom with random holes in the floor. The bathroom with the archaic, rotting furniture. The bathroom which you leave feeling dirtier than when you entered. Oh yes, fond memories. Desiring not to spend another moment amidst the filth, we roamed the streets until nightfall hoping to find some hard liquor that would impair our faculties and enable us to endure the filth for a mere night before we found an alternative. Tired, exhausted and reluctant we re-entered the filth. We clambered over bodies to our foam blocks. Oh squalor sweet squalor. We awoke to find that there had been a party as we slept. A bedbug party. The angry red plethora of bites testified that the bedbugs had had quite the delectable feast on my back. Enough was enough. We fled, we fled fast. We went to the beach (which incidentally is more like a 25min walk than the 15 minutes the staff claim -– unless of course you're running as we were) and sought alternative accommodation. We tried to check out and get a refund for the 2 nights we wouldn't be sleeping on our foam blocks. We were denied a refund. I was requested to prove I had bedbug bites, this was achieved only by unbuttoning my dress to expose my lower/mid-back region. The indignity. Refund denied. We staged a sit-in. After three hours, feeling weak from the contaminating stench, we received a partial refund for only one night out of three. If you think you are desperate enough for this place make sure you view your ‘room'/space sleeping on the floor before you pay. However, I suggest you seek alternative refuge in a bin. It would be more hygienic.  , Uk ()
4   Great for low maintenance travelers Having stayed at few other hostels, I have little to compare this place to. However my needs were very simple and limited to foot travel to the beach and training at the Inosanto Academy just down the street. Yes there is no lock on the front door, yes it's a little grungy, but I have never in my 6 visits ever seen an issue with this establishment. I've never had valuables stolen, never heard guests complain about valuables stolen, never saw anyone excessively unsavory present. The atmosphere is all around pleasant and the beds are warm. Local food tends to be very tasty and the facilities (bath, laundry) were more than adequate for my needs. Yeah, there are plenty of 'interesting' characters that walk in, but that's part of the fun. I'd easily recommend this hostel for travelers that travel light or need a place to stay. Just be sure you know what your needs are.  , USA ()
5   The Greatest Days Of My Life Wow, in 1987 i was eighteen and working in the Baja Cantina in Marina Del Ray (up the road, near the beach) and ended up staying at the Hostel for a couple of nights. I was there for eleven months. I met the greatest people from around the world and had the best craic i ever had in my life. It definitely was a bit grungy and yes the front door didnt have a lock and you never knew who was going to walk through the door but the people that did were some of the most incredible people i ever met. I think of them often and on and off am in touch with some. I even married one (the one and only), a beautiful English rose, Julie. so watch out this place really can change your life! At the very least it's cheap and not too far from the beach so that can't be too bad. If you've got a sense of adventure and aren't too fussy this is the place for you. That stain on the blanket was there back then too, it's an anti theft device that really works but who needs blankets in L.A. anyway. Your food will be shared by the guests who are hungry and broke but it's only ham and cheese from the 7-11.  , Irish + English ()
1   False Advertising Stayed here for a week in August. "Private room" was in a converted first-floor flat five hundred meters down the road from the main "hostel." Very dirty and in poor condition despite web advertisement we'd seen saying it had been recently renovated. Only one bathroom for two private rooms and a six-bed dorm, the toilet was not separate from the bathroom. Some guy seemed to be living there, out to work each morning and back smoking in the lounge with his feet up on the coffee table watching TV each night. Not a place worth the money, for an extra $10 a night a couple could probably get a much nicer motel room.  , New Zealand ()
4   Cool out sham i stayed there for a week just before christmas. it was more like student a house than a hostel. i had a good laugh here. the staff were cool as f***, really chilled out, and i would stay there again.  , ireland ()
3  I wouldn't really call this place a hostel, it's more like a big house that has been taken over by people with nowhere else to go. The majority of people there are just drop outs, one person has been living there for six years. That said, the location is brilliant, and the staff are friendly. Try it, it's not too bad, but don't expect anything.  ()