LA Backpackers Paradise / Tradewinds Hostel

LA Backpackers Paradise / Tradewinds Hostel is a large hostel and hotel within close proximity of LAX airport; the free shuttle bus makes it an ideal stop for people departing and arriving. The hostel also provides a free shuttle service to Manhattan Beach and the bus station, from which you can travel all over Los Angeles.

The location in Inglewood is ok but not great -- there is access to take-aways and necessities. However, it is close to rough areas and you wouldn't want to roam far at night. There is a shopping outlet within walking distance and various places to eat (largely fast food). It is good to keep in mind that Los Angeles is a very large city; it can take between one and two hours to visit Venice Beach and Santa Monica by bus. If you have your own car, there is free parking at the hostel.

The rooms are largely in need of a bit if TLC, however they are incredibly spacious. The "suites" include two rooms plus a bathroom; the dorm rooms are also roomy. There are large modern TVs in the suites, however the furniture us clearly old and worn, as are the carpets. The bathrooms are simple and vary in quality. The cleanliness is below satisfactory but is bearable.

On arrival at Tradewinds, there is an energetic atmosphere although the furnishings are fairly dated. The staff lack friendliness and can be abrupt when busy. However, at other times they appear more courteous. The pool is heated -- so much so that it steams at night, so can be used anytime until 10 p.m.! There are two affordable bars and also a restaurant onsite. In addition, the Adventurer provides free food, including a breakfast muffin, cookies, evening food (like chips) and cake at night -- all of which is welcomed by a hungry traveler! There is also tea, coffee, and popcorn available free all day.

Unfortunately there is no kitchen in the hostel; this would be very useful. The common area is around the large pool and there is also a pool table and air hockey. There are numerous vending machines, which tend to break frequently and you must wait until the next day be be reimbursed by housekeeping.

Summary

As one of the cheapest places to stay in Los Angeles, Tradewinds is a good place to stay. If you need somewhere cheap, close to the airport, or just somewhere to relax, it is a great place to stay.

by truetale
November 2013
How is LA Backpackers Paradise / Tradewinds Hostel rated on other websites?
5   Excellent Value for Money: Easy to get around, close to airport I've traveled extensively abroad and stayed in all types of hotels and paid for rather lovely places to stay. This time around I thought I'd opt for something a little less extravagant and decided to do the "Backpackers Experience" as we were on an adventure holiday for 6 weeks so quite conscious of our budget. We had just spent time in New York, Miami and an upmarket resort in Jamaica and ended the trip in LA. For a budget hostel this surpassed my expectations. I've stayed in backpackers accommodation that were frightful and by Australia standards Backpackers accommodation is very meagre. This on the other hand was clean, large two bedroom accommodation with a plasma Screen and private bathroom, free shuttle, complimentary snacks and cocktail and free shuttle. I would recommend this to anyone traveling on a budget! definitely not a resort but a great rest stop and terrific people whilst on your travels.  , age 43, Australian ()
3   Cheap Good value for money & the shuttle service is very convenient. But the shared bathroom in the dorm room is DISGUSTING!! there is no door for the bathroom! Provided that it is a MIXED dorm! all u have got is a thin shower curtain which is almost transparent! I don't feel comfortable to take a shower in a bathroom like this as you are actually naked in front of whoever enters the bathroom including both men & women.  , Hong Kong ()
4   Had a good time The staff could have been a little nicer, but it was alright. I enjoyed the swimming pool and clean sheets and towel every day. We stayed in a 20 bed mixed dorm but it didn't seem to be crowded at all. (Bring earplugs though!) We never had to wait for our turn for the bathroom, and nobody stole anything. You can do laundry for a couple $s if you run out of clothes, or just go to Beverly Hills! Ha! The shuttle was very convenient in the first couple days, but there are other ways to get around too. The bus stop is close and the subway is about 15min walk. The area is really not that bad as I read in previous reviews, we walked home from the subway station or the bus stop past midnight and 2am every night and nobody ever tried to mess with us or sell drugs or anything. It takes about 40min-1hour to get to downtown LA or a nice beach like Long Beach, or Venice Beach, but you can't beat this price for a hostel in LA! We had a positive experience!  , age 26, Hungary ()
5   Excellent service and atmosphere I had the misfortune of a delayed flight from Vegas so Delta give me a hotel voucher for the night. Must admit was a bit apprehensive when at 2 am in the morning a shuttle bus arrives and the driver convinces me to go to this hotel rather than the one listed on the voucher. Arrived at the hotel and on first impressions was still quite apprehensive. However, the driver could not have been more helpful and even came back with a couple of hot dogs when I mentioned I hadn't eaten. Next morning breakfast was excellent followed by a tour of LA recommended by the driver. That afternoon really enjoyed the atmosphere and very well priced beer around the bar followed again by a scrumptious dinner. I found the room quite clean; a bit dated but very comfortable with all amenities. I was disappointed I had to fly back to Sydney that night, otherwise I would have stayed longer.  , age 60, Australia ()
1   Cockroaches, feces, and blood There were cockroaches, feces, and blood all over the place. It was truly scary. If you don't mind feces on the walls around the toilet, cockroaches climbing over your bed, and blood from who knows what then please, by all means, stay here.  , French ()
4   Sad & Disappointed We have stayed at this hostel several times whilst in LA. It is very convenient, as you get picked up & returned to the airport. It is nothing fancy but clean. Staff were very nice & helpful to us. But we are a couple of seniors and are very disappointed that they dont want our custom anymore. We are planning to come back to LA on 22nd July for 5 weeks.  , Australia ()
1   Stay Away Did not know i would be going to this ghetto motel when leaving the airport, The offers are mostly lies they use to advertise and lure in internet customers. I had all my valuables and cash stolen my second night there, was called an idiot and told directly to f**** off when explaining to the management, told they werent liable and maybe insurance would contact me in a few months, refused a leniency period to get new id cards and money sent from texas, then at five in the morning was chased out of the hotel by the owner for being seven dollars short of the suddenly more expensive room that i had already had to borrow to pay for (and had the previous day, check out is at 12, yet i was unable to even get all my possessions), given three minutes to pack after being screamed at very profanely. It is in the center of one of the worst parts of L.A., the police came each of the three nights i stayed there, and Four separate rooms were broken into including mine. you do not need the cheap room this badly.  , American ()
1   Sorry guys, but the worst I've stayed in I stayed in about fifteen hostels in the last year, but unfortunately this one was probably the worst. First of all, it is a decent facility, but it is located in a very bad part of LA and you will not feel comfortable walking anywhere to eat, so you had better have a car or catch the bus during daylight hours. However, that I could deal with. The part that made this hostel a bad experience for me was the staff. My traveling buddy and I obviously wanted to be in the same four-person dorm, but they couldn't even do that for us. They told us the rooms were full despite the fact that we checked in at 4 p.m and watched throughout the day as people came to check in and none of them got turned down. when we asked they just repeated themselves louder and louder. not sure what happened there. The food is not really food at all, the buffets that they said they have are really just popcorn and a few bags of potato chips. We got locked out of our room because one of the other guys that was in our dorm had a credit card problem or something, so we missed the bus we planned on taking because they wouldn't unlock it. Overall, my worst hostel experience. The beds were nice quality and the room was clean, but other than that.  , Ireland ()
LA Backpackers Paradise / Tradewinds Hostel Reviews from the Web