Chicago Getaway Hostel

Chicago Getaway Hostel is located in a really nice section of Lincoln Park, in a community with old townhouses, about a block away from the main drag of restaurants, shops, and bars.

The neighborhood feels totally safe to walk in the middle of the night, and we think the resident community has a cutoff point for noise outside. It is a few blocks from the 'L,' the public transit, which we took to get downtown along with our car. There are also zip cars in the back that you can rent and a few parking spaces that you can pay to use, so get there early if you need to park your car. We had to drive around for an hour to find other parking (by the Lincoln Park Zoo) the first night because we got there late.

Our room was a private with a shared bath -- really simple, with old furniture, a big box fan because there is no air conditioning, and two beds. They provide pillows, sheets, and blankets but we don't think they give out towels. We don't know about the guys' bathroom, but the girls' is recently remodeled, clean, and is usually pretty empty. The hostel is a really old big building so you have to walk through a maze of long hallways between your room and the bathroom. The lock and key work well, but you have to basically slam the old wood door shut to get it to lock properly. This is not a big deal, but we were right above the common area with people playing pool and talking late into the night when we were trying to get some sleep. It's not the hostel's fault and it is a big bar area, so what can you expect?

The common room is awesome -- there are four computers available to use for free with internet and free printing, which is great for planning. Also there are common lockers. There is also a grand piano to use, a pool table, and a huge kitchen (but it looks messy and the fridge is overflowing with food from who knows how long ago). They give free breakfast in the morning -- basically toast, muffins, cereal, and coffee. The people at the front desk are nice (some more than others) and always have simple free maps to hand out and advice on where to eat or catch the train or whatever.

Summary

All in all, this is a nice hostel; we would go back because there area is great and anywhere else in Chicago would be super expensive. Next time, though, we think we would pay extra to get our own room with bathroom, and ask for one that isn't above the common area.

September 2010

How is Chicago Getaway Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Great location, nice staff, and overall very happy! Great location and a very friendly and helpful crew! We had a great stay. Join in on their evening activities and meet new people! Rent the city bikes and ride them all over town. A great way to see chicago and there are bike stations very close to the hostel.  ()
5   Great place A nice place to stay for couple of nights. Very friendly staff.  , age 39, India ()
5   Friendly & Helpful staff, an awesome hostel! In a great location (Lincoln Park is a lovely area, very safe with great bars and restaurants). Only a couple of blocks away from the train and very competitively priced. One of the best hostels I have stayed in! The staff were very friendly and helpful, daily activities organised too.  , age 25, Ireland ()
5   Friendly/helpful staff, clean amenities, safe area My friend and i really enjoyed our stay here. Only a short walk from the nearest train station and really cute, quiet neighborhood. Everything was super clean and the staff was super helpful. Would definitely stay here again.  , age 23, usa ()
3   Horrible Bathrooms The rooms, common areas and breakfast were pretty good, and the location and service were great, but the bathrooms ruined it for me. At the end of a very long and public hall, the showers were just stalls with curtains, and every time I went there (morning, noon and night), were dirty. Too bad, because otherwise it's a great place.  ()
5   The Best in Chicago This place is sensational -- completely redesigned, redecorated in minimalist decor, has a spectacular stainless steel kitchen, a cosy tv room and large common area complete with pool table and a grand piano and some truly great staff who really know their stuff about Chicago and are extremely helpful and fun. Oh yes, it's also in a brilliant location.  , UK ()
5   Great place, I would stay here again This hostel is in a beautiful building, ultra modern interior with a vintage exterior, in a beautiful neighborhood, Lincoln Park. Everything was clean, the staff were awesome and recommended their favorite spots, went out of their way to make sure you knew where the cool stuff was. One complaint would be that this isn't much of a party hostel, which is probably a plus for some people, but they do organize pub crawls, so that is probably the way to go if you are looking to meet people. But anyways, great place, I would definitely stay here again.  , USA ()
5   Truly one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in Clearly this place has changed a lot since 2006. This hostel is run the way they all should be run -- with a great mixture of professionalism, friendliness, and fun. The dorm was in itself pretty standard I guess, but I appreciated only having to share a bathroom with a few others, not the mass bathroom experience. Air conditioning made a few very hot Chicago nights bearable. Bed was comfy, and you get a fresh towel every day -- a luxury for the hosteling experience. The common spaces were well-serviced (when I was there a maintenance guy was taking down the light fittings and cleaning them!), clean and homey. A good combo of tables and chairs and sofa-style seating. WiFi that is free and works well. Outdoor patio/hang-out space with a BBQ. TV in a separate room -- THANK YOU for that. Staff were super: relaxed and friendly but professional. Nice part of town with plenty going on, and everything you need just 'round the corner. I absolutely could not find fault with this hostel; I picked it almost at random from the others in Chicago, and was so glad I did. I would recommend it to everyone, unreservedly.  , Australian ()
Chicago Getaway Hostel Reviews from the Web