HI - Austin Hostel

Dorm RoomDorm Room
Private RoomCommon AreaLady Bird Lake
PatioCommon Area

Located two miles from downtown and on the waterfront of town lake, Austin Hostel can be a place for anyone who wants to go party in the clubs on Sixth street or relax on the lake. It is less than a fifteen minute city bus ride from the major things to do in the city such as taking in the live music scene on Sixth Street, swimming in the Barton Springs natural pool, watching the Mexican bat going for hunt at the Congress St. Bridge, walking around the University of Texas or visiting Artistic neighborhood in South Congress (SoCo). One simply can rent a bike or a Canoe from the hostel and explore the city that way.

The hostel itself is non-profit and operates by the board of directors. It is not easily located in major bus road so most of the visitors with no car or taxi have to walk for a short distance to get there. The hostel has thirty-nine beds and most of them are used by males. Each room is occupied by average of fourteen beds (earplugs are recommended and are sold in the hostel). The beds are comfortable and don't make much noise.

Austin is known primarily for it's live music and nightlife, but this hostel isn't very conducive to visitors who want to stay out late to enjoy it. They go around and try to wake people up at 10 AM. And by 11 AM the bathrooms and rooms are closed, so you wanted to sleep in you have a very limited amount of time to get up and take a shower and go about your business, and frequently guests are forced out before they're ready. There isn't any reason they couldn't move back their cleaning schedule by an hour or so to fix this problem.

The bathrooms and showers are a downside of this hostel. The bathrooms are tight and the showers are divided into four sections by shower curtains with little privacy. The flow of the water is poor (with an "efficient" showerhead that puts out mostly air) with no temperature control and not placed high enough for someone tall.

The kitchen is usually clean and usable. Tea and coffee are provided if one wants to make them. Most days some local stores donate their bread to the hostel guests.

The common area is large and has a high ceiling with fans and nice couches to rest on. There is a guitar and piano for guests to use. There is also a TV room upstairs for people to watch TV or videos.

There are locker rooms, internet access and free wireless, and laundry facilities are one dollar wash/seventy-five cents dry with detergent for sale. There is also a phone for incoming or outgoing calls.

You can leave your luggage if you are checking out and come back after five to pick them up. There is no one from office from eleven to five but there is always someone staying over night for emergencies. Overall this hostel has a lot to offer to anyone from a traveler to someone hanging around to check out the great city of Austin.

July 2006

Front door.
How is HI - Austin Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Will Stay Again! I really enjoyed my stay at this location. Staff very friendly. They make sure you have everything you need. The place is very well kept. Can't beat the price and it includes a continental breakfast. My only suggestion for improvement is disinfecting of the showers. They were clean but never had the fresh smell of pine sol. The rooms were clean and the beds were just fine. I'll be staying here again in the coming months.  , age 44, United States ()
5   Always love it here! Love love love the location. And the pancakes.  , age 24, USA ()
5   Very nice stay! what a fantastic place to stay. very helpful staff. clean beds and lots of room to make yourself at home. nice area of town to be. i had a car, but bus line is not far away. very well kept place. will be back again. felt like home. lots of very nice people to visit with from all countries abroad. cannot say enough great things about my stay.  , usa bedford texas ()
4   SXSW I stayed here for a week, had no problems of any kind. Staff were courteous and friendly. Location is beautiful, five-minute walk to bus routes. People I met were mostly from Europe and very cool to talk to. I would stay here again without hesitation. Austin is a great city to visit.  , usa ()
3   Meh Sure it was super clean and the location is beautiful, but I really wasn't thrilled with this place. For one thing, my friend reserved it online, and when we got there, she ended up having to pay like $10 more than she was expecting, because of some kind of fee that's not listed on the web site. It was still only about $25/person, but I don't like the idea of "hidden fees." Also, The girl who checked us in kept cutting us off, and I thought she was really rude. She was rude to the people who checked in after us, too. It's a good place to crash if you just need somewhere quiet to get some rest, but I felt like I was in a library.  , USA ()
5   Relaxing lake-side hostel This hostel is a short bus ride from downtown Austin. The staff was helpful and the facilities were clean. The best thing about the hostel was that it was located off a beautiful lake. There was a large common area with free internet, couches, tables, books, and a piano, and it was a great place to relax. There was a kitchen were you could store and prepare your own food. I would definitely stay here again.  , USA ()
5   A Great Place Location -- Great. I had a car, though, and I didn't use public transportation. But for someone with a car, you're about ten minutes from most tourist spots. Building -- Clean, bright, and comfortable. Everything is very well labeled. It's very thoughtfully stocked with pretty much anything you might need. There are bulletin boards everywhere showing you how to get around town and featuring attractions in and around town. Nicely decorated. Staff -- Very professional and friendly. More professional than many hotel chain staffers. Amenities -- Great! Free Wi-Fi and computers; plenty of books, board games, and other distractions if you need them. Neighborhood -- Not the nicest, but not at all bad. I felt safe and secure in and around the hostel.  , United States ()
4   Pretty good I enjoyed my two-night stay at this hostel. It was my first time, as an American, staying in a hostel in the U.S. and I wasn't sure what I was going to find, but I was pleasantly surprised. The girl working the front desk was very friendly, the rooms were clean, the beds comfortable, the environment friendly, the common room was large and spacious, the internet was free, and the bathrooms were clean. I had my car with me however, and it did seem to me even with the car to be more than a bit out of the way in Austin, even if the location itself on the lake is quite nice.  , U.S. ()
HI - Austin Hostel Reviews from the Web