North Bundy Backpackers

We chose Grand Backpackers upon arriving in Bundaberg because it had the highest rating among reviews online.

The hostel is little bit -- just over a kilometer -- out of the city center, so it takes twenty minutes to walk into the city. There is a shopping center nearby with an IGA supermarket, bottle shop, and pharmacy. If you arrive by bus or train and have a lot of luggage, you need the hostel crew to come to pick you up or take a taxi. There are always parking places near the hostel.

The hostel was a motel before being converted, so rooms are pretty clean and nice -- most have six bunk beds with a toilet and kitchen. The air conditioning works perfectly. You get a normal key and if you lose it, you lose your deposit. There are no lockers, so you have to trust your roommates. The shower and toilet are in good condition. There are shelves for storing things in every room.

There is a ok swimming pool with a few sunbeds (they are all more or less broken). The computer room has expensive and slow internet; the wireless network does not work. There is a big, nice TV room (but there's no no cable or satellite) with a DVD player. There's also a ping pong table and a vending machine with soda.

The hostel has good facilities, an ok location, poor management, and a fair-to-poor work situation. We never had any problem with the management, but have friends here that did. Our roommate had to wait about four hours on the bus and was a bit irritated; he and his friends were going to the reception to make a complaint. The receptionist refused to say that they were sorry and tried to kick them out of the hostel. My friend had to go to the owner of the hostel to be able to stay. If you complain too much, they try to kick you out or don't give you any jobs. The work situation is not that good in this hostel.
by xtenzion
September 2010

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "North Bundy Backpackers" at 12 Queen St, Bundaberg North QLD 4670.)

12 Queen St, Bundaberg North QLD 4670, Bundaberg North, Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
-24.857610, 152.345534
aileenhaynes21@gmail.com, northbundy@yahoo.com.au
07 4151 2463
+61 (7) 4154-2208

How is North Bundy Backpackers rated on other websites?

Your best bet
Your best bet. So after reading reviews of all hostels in Bundaberg, me and my travel buddy were ready for the worst. After phoning the national harvest line and all the farmers we could find, we were recommended to stay at East Bundy by a local farmer that hires from there. On arrival we were greeted by Christine who told us honestly about the work situation in Bundy. We quickly learned what kind of place this was. In the evening there was a special going away event for the longest staying member of the hostel, the family atmosphere there was just fantastic. This is different to every other working hostel in Bundaberg. Row and Karl are open and honest with the work, we had work after just one day. Our beds were comfy, the pillows were magical, the hostel was safe and secure, had a good working kitchen with plenty of space as well . All cutlery (and there is a lot!) is all provided, plates, bowls and a nice large cup for your morning tea/coffee before work. Going to other hostels in the area, owners were rude and indifferent and didn't seem to care if you stayed there or not. I saw a number of occasions where people had mentioned something to row and she had sorted it straight away, for example new knives were bought as someone brought it up. Small things but it is those small things that make you feel at home. So in summary if you are going to Bundy to get your 2nd year visa, go to North Bundy and save the days drive around the town that we had trying to find something better, because you won't find it.
Age 23, england
One of the best places to stay in Bundy
This is a really nice place to stay. Had a lot of fun here and made some good friends and money. Good location within walking distance of city. There was a great atmosphere especially at night when everyone sat around outside. As with many hostels it can really depend on the people staying whether you like it or not. Loads of work in the right season. A courtesy bus takes the backpackers to and from work each day. The kitchen is very big, well equipped, and comfortable for many people to cook at the same time. One of the best places to stay in Bundy especially if you are working to get the Second Working Holiday Visa.
Age 23, england
I have made lifelong friends from this place
Having spent 3 months in Bundaberg definitely the place to stay is north bundy. I was told my first job wouldn't be anything great however i landed an hourly paid job straight away and was given plenty of work. The hostel itself is great and kept pretty clean. Could do with a little more storage space. The staff are heaps friendly and are willing to help where they can. I have made lifelong friends from this place. It is a dry hostel and you will get kicked out if you have alcohol on premises but the young aussie is just around the corner, you get your fill there. Will come back for more work after this lot of travels.
Age 21, france
Had a great time here
I stayed at this hotel in July and had an awesome time. Mostly met the best people. The outdoor area is great with a pool. I also really liked having separate bathrooms in each dorm room. It wasn't the cleanest but pretty good for a backpacker I think. We had good steady work that was much better than some of the other backpackers in town told us they got. Would recommend for building up cash for more traveling.
Age 26, UK
Don't let the cheap rent/free transport fool you!
I will start this by saying go elsewhere. I stayed at North Bundy Backpackers for for 4 regrettable weeks. The other comments rather sum up this hostels cleanliness (absolutely sh*t) so I won't go into detail. But like someone else said, the rest is even worse. The work there is terrible, they have no contacts to local farmers for any decent farm work so you are left with picking zucchinis for 10hours a day, $2.80/bucket which works out about $30/day and that's pushing yourself truly and is by no means any fun, it's hell especially knowing you can barely pay your rent for the month and breaking your back (literally) in the process. The management is the worst I've ever come across and I'm no newbie to hostels. The owner Steve (prick) is arrogant and rude. He has no respect for anyone and will constantly guarantee you hourly paid farm work is coming the following week, every week, until you realise like me that 4 weeks have passed and you are still picking zucchinis to barely cover your rent (who might I add never actually signed me off for the days I worked as you have to work minimum 6 weeks otherwise they wont sign your days off). Besides the cheap rent compared to other local hostels and the free transport to and from farms, don't be fooled by this because the rest is atrocious. After my terrible 4 weeks I was actually kicked out because I invited a friend over from another hostel after 6pm, and all he was doing was joining me and others there before we went out in the evening. Steve actually called the police who came and tried to have them throw me out the hostel that same evening. My rent was paid until the following day so there was nothing they could do, so the following morning I packed my bags and was the best thing that happened to me in my whole 4 months in Bundaberg. I moved 2km down the road, more centrally located and was given a monday-friday 8hour/day $22/hour job within 2 days and I couldn't be more thankful for that prat Steve for kicking me out otherwise god knows how long I would have spent at that unbelievable joke of a hostel. To end, all I'm going to say is pay the extra $30/week rent and go elsewhere, I guarantee it'll be worth it -- this hostel just wasted a month of my visa.

Response from the accommodation: Im sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Adam Scott checked into our hostel on the 20th of july 2013. Work and the hostel have improved substantially since the floods of 2013 and we are very proud of the reputation we have amongst the farms and Bundaberg community that we have worked very hard to build. Also we are proud of the 90 precent of the ppl coming through our hostel that are finishing their days quickly makeing some great memory’s and continue their travel across this beautiful country Adam scott worked on : Zucchinis (dodgy contractor we stopped using 25-7-2013) for 4 days. Sweet potatoes, hourly good job, till he got fired 3 days latter. Landscaping, hourly good job, fired first day. Pruning, hourly, just under 2 weeks. Pumpkins, good group contract, fired 4 days. Scott was asked to leave by the police for inviting his friend over who had been kicked out for not paying his rent for 3 weeks and drinking in public
Age 22, England
Disgusting dump. Avoid at all costs.
My friend and I planned to stay here to see our 88 days of Regional work through -- what a nightmare (we left after 2 days!!). Everything was filthy, I can't even be bothered going into the details because there was so much filth all over the place. The shower/bathroom was like the scene from a horror film. Broken utensils also filthy and just lying around everywhere. Feral dog living on site that peed all over the place. Pool bright GREEN with algae. Ants nesting everywhere. Disgusting rooms. Broken facilities. Generally a massive dump. I'm so tired from hardly sleeping due to staying at this DIVE that I'm failing to say much more than that this absolute hellhole should be condemned and avoided at all costs. Huge waste of money! and the regional work they supply is a joke. If you wanna break your back making $4 for a bucket of cherry tomatoes please come here. Work like a slave and live in a slum what more can you ask for? Out of then this place gets Minus 10000000000.
Age 24, Scottish
Horrible Hostel
I stayed at this hostel for 2 nights along with my boyfriend and sister. We planned to stay here for around 4 weeks to get our farm work done for 2nd year visas. Before we arrived we were told there would be a maximum of 6 to a room, each room having its own bathroom, shower and free wifi. When we arrived there was no one at reception, hours are 9am-10am and 4pm-7pm. When we did finally get into the hostel the reception was very messy and dirty, although the floor was being swept when we arrived. We were shown to our room, which instead of the 6 bed we were told it would be, it was a 10 bed dorm with one bathroom. We also had to wait until late in the evening until we were provided with any bedding. The bathroom was also shared with two other 4 bed dorms, so 18 people in total having to share one bathroom. The bathroom was disgusting, mud smeared on the floor, shower curtain hanging by one hook and loads of bugs. We were told the bathroom got cleaned once a day, which is not much when it is used by 18 people all doing farm work. For the short time that we did stay here I never saw it remotely clean. The job sheet goes up each evening around 7pm to tell you which farm you will be working on the next day. After 7pm the reception shuts so if you're not happy with the job you have its very difficult to get hold of staff.The transport is free to and from work, however you may have to drive. My sister and I were on a tomato farm while my boyfriend picked sweet potatoes, but only got 2 hours work because the farm did not have enough containers to hold anymore. On the tomato farm the supervisors were mostly non-english speaking and shouted in their own language, expecting us to understand what to do. There was no consideration taken that it was our first day and we did not know what to do. There is parking available at the hostel but by the time all the vehicles used for work transport are parked there is not much room for anyone else. Steve, the owner is very arrogant and intimidating and when we did try to get hold of staff to tell them we wanted to leave it was rather difficult. We have now been waiting over 2 weeks and still have not been paid. Definitely would not recommend this hostel.
Age 23, Scottish
Probably the best hostel in Bundaberg
I stayed in another backpackers (literally on the opposite side of the road of the greyhound bus stop) before. Don't go there, go to north bundy! Nice open air area, two kitchens, pool, tv room with Xbox, most rooms have en suite bathrooms. When you go there you probably have to work on a tomato farm, where the pay is sh*t. But wait one or two weeks (depends on the work availability) and you'll get an hourly paid job. Everybody can work 7 days a week, which is good for your 88 days. Or simply take one day off per week. In north bundy you can go back to tomatoes whenever you have no other job. I for example worked 3 days a week hourly paid and the rest on tomatoes.
Age 27, German
Good, fun people
i stayed in this hostel for 3 months. the work wasn't the best but it was constant and they didn't charge for every little thing so I could save. I would recommend a stay here although the kitchen is shared it can get messy but they clean it every day so no so bad. I meet some really great people here and will remember my stay. thanks north Bundy and Dennis.
Age 22, england
Me and my partner booked in this hostel on a Monday, as we arrived we went into the reception to check in where there was food all over the floor covered in ant nests. They had dirty bin bags over flowing that caused such a vile smell. We paid $150 for the week and had to pay $20 deposit for a plate cup knife and fork. When we was given them the cup had mould at the bottom of it. We was shown our room which was absolutely disgusting and once again the floor was covered in ants. That night we went to sleep and was woken up by a noise which worked out to be a mice in my suitcase. We went to cook food in the kitchen area and when we went in there we was greeted by roughly 20 flies that was flying around. We refused to cook and even go near by there because of the smell as well. The owner Steve was very rude and didn't help with any work that we was promised. Me being a girl I felt uncomfortable being in the same room as him on my own as he would make dirty comments. We decided to leave after 5 days as the conditions were very poor and I'm actually surprised that they could run a business like that without getting closed down. When we left we asked for our deposits and was told a simple "NO." We argued our point across and they threatened to call the police. I really not recommend this sh*t hole of a hostel. Stay away from here because the owner Steve will only take you for what you have got.

Rate North Bundy Backpackers