Meiga Backpackers

Meiga Backpackers is a stunning little hostel, perfectly located near the heart of this great city. However, unless you're a die-hard walking pilgrim, get a cab from the bus or train station, as both are some distance from the center.

The ambience is especially pleasant, with a sunroom, wicker basket tables, candles, comfortable couches, and TV in the common room (though in a city like Santiago de Compostela, where so much is going on, people don't spend much time at the hostel). The kitchen is small but lively, the place is packed with people from just about every country on earth (mostly young), and the life of the city goes on twenty-four hours a day, so the mood is upbeat and joyful.

One of the great Art Deco cafes in the city, Cafe Casino, with its overstuffed chairs and gorgeous woodwork, is just around the corner. The tourism office is in the same block, and the magnificent Cathedral, to which pilgrims have been coming for over eight-hundred years, is a short walk through arcaded granite streets, past little shops selling shell-orabilia from T-shirts to candy to fridge magnets, hats, shoes, purses, and balloons. The streets are full of musicians, clowns, and pilgrims in every imaginable state of health and dress, and the view from the hostel windows is full of life.

The only drawback is that there are only two bathrooms, each with a shower and toilet, so if it's early evening and everybody is getting showered and ready to go out, you have to go, you just have to cross your legs and wait for a long time. It seems a small price to pay for such a pleasant place in an ideal location. A real treasure.

August 2006

How is Meiga Backpackers rated on other websites?
5   Chill environment and helpful staff at a cheap price This was a great hostel experience. The place was very relaxed and had nice sized bedrooms. The staff were helpful with everything and even cooked me a meal my first night. Its nearby food and a short walk from everything. Its a safe town so safety wasn't much of an issue and the price is great. No real complaints, its was basic. Overall it was a great experience.  , age 24, Canada ()
5   Great Hostel, Great Region of Spain This hostel is great. It is located right where you need to be. Santiago is a great point to jump to other parts of Galicia. I am recommending Galicia, Santiago, and this hostel to my friends!  , California ()
4   Nice, Clean, Small Hostel A great hostel. Small, and inconspicuous, but really cosy! We weren't sure how to get there from the bus station so we rang reception and they were more than happy to help us. Free breakfast was good, the beds were nice and big, and although there weren't many people there when we were, and we were only there for a night, it had a friendly atmosphere. Plus they let us leave our bags there the day we checked out, for only a euro, which was a godsend.  , Scotland ()
4   Great i loved this place, super clean and nice people. there are only two showers but it's not too much of a problem. they have a sign up sheet on the door so you just put your name by the time that you want to take a shower. it's also a great location if you're taking the bus from the airport, it's about a half a block from the stop. the only downside is that they're closed from 12 to 1 and i wasn't informed of that so when i arrived at 12:15 i had to wait around until 1 to get rid of my stuff. also they don't have lockers so i was a bit uneasy, but overall the people are nice, it's clean, and it's a great location.  , USA ()
5  One of the best hostels I've been in -- really nice atmosphere, laid back, close to the city centre but also has the facilities I required (good bathroom, kitchen etc.). Plus points also to the owners who emailed me right away to let me know I'd left my phone there and sent it back to me -- big thanks!!  ()