Generator Hostel London

Generator Hostel London is not the typical youth hostel -- it has a little twist with its different and colorful design and style. Generator London has a nice and friendly atmosphere -- it offers everything you'd expect from a hostel, with something a little bit extra like the inside bar where it is possible to get food and drinks, and the travel shop also inside the hostel in case you need to buy something you forgot.

This hostel is very centrally located in the big and hectic city center of London. It's very easy to get everywhere on foot for those who love walking, or by tube or buses because it is very close to the metro stations of Russell Square and King’s Cross St. Pancras.

This hostel has several options when it comes to sleeping time -- depending on your budget, there are private rooms (twins, triples, and quads) and mixed or female-only dorms. Each dorm has a sink in the room, and each bed has power sockets, linen, and some storage space with locks to put valuables. Bare in mind that if you are under eighteen, it is not possible to stay in a dorm. The rooms are quite spacious and clean. The bathroom is not en suite; there are common female and male bathrooms on each floor and showers.

In this hostel, there are plenty of common areas, including a "game room," where films are also shown at certain times; it is also possible to simply chill out there with your personal laptop or a book. There also is a travel shop inside the hostel, a restaurant that serves meals from breakfast (full English breakfast is available, and continental breakfast is available until 10 a.m. for an extra fee) to dinner, and a pub to get some drinks. There are vending machines in the hostel to get some snacks after the restaurant and pub closing time. There also is a photo-booth in the hostel and a dedicated smoking area outside the building. There is a laundry room too with washing and drying machines. The reception is open at all times. Free Wi-Fi is available everywhere in the hostel in the common areas and even in the rooms.

This hostel has everything needed -- a great location, affordable prices, and friendly atmosphere.
February 2014

Common Showers
Eating common area
Female Common Bathroom
Common area
Travel shop and sitting area

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Generator Hostel London" at 37 Tavistock Place, Russell Square.)

37 Tavistock Place, Russell Square, London, Greater London, England
51.526248, -0.124905
res@generatorhostels.com, amanda@generatorhostels.com, 442073887644@venali.net, london@generatorhostels.com, info@generatorhostels.com
+44 (0)207 388 7666
+44 (0)207 388 7644

How is Generator Hostel London rated on other websites?

Do not stay here.
If you're thinking of staying at the Generator London, can I just say turn around and run as far away from it as you can. If I could do my trip over, I would stay literally anywhere else than this hostel. Literally. Anywhere. Else. I arrived at the check-in time of 2pm, and was pretty horrified to see that my bedding had not been changed from the previous guest. When I went to reception to request fresh bedding, I was given what can only be described as an interrogation. When did I check-in? How long was I staying? When was I checking out? All I wanted was clean sheets, I really did not think that it would be such a big deal (maybe it's just me, but I don't particularly like sharing my bedding with strangers). And that was just the beginning. One of the reasons I chose the Generator London was because it seemed to offer fairly good amenities. How wrong I was. A communal bathroom was something I was expecting; what I was not expecting was how few there were. There was one bathroom per floor, and in our particular one we had just five showers to service all the girls on our floor. And these showers were pathetic. The website describes them as "private", but they are nothing more than a thin curtain covering a cramped shower. You've got nowhere to put your belongings other than a single hook outside of the shower. I was pretty horrified one night to come out of the shower to find that my jeans had been stolen off the hook while I was in there, and when I went to reception to report this, I was greeted by the most uncaring, unsympathetic response I have ever received from any hotel or hostel. Quite simply, she did not care at all. She acted as though it were my fault I was hanging my clothes on the hook outside the shower (although she never suggested where else I was supposed to put them?). All I wanted was to let her know there was a thief running around the hostel, but I should have saved my breath. And that gets me onto the next point: The staff. Wow. I'm not sure why any of them are working in hospitality, since the vast majority of them seem to despise customer service. There was only one security guard who was friendly to me, the rest could barely muster a smile as I came and went, and often seemed to think they were prison guards rather than security at a youth hostel. I have never been so excited to check out of accommodation in all my life. In fact, my time at the Generator London was so unpleasant that I ended up crashing on friends' floors and couches a couple of nights just to get a break from it. I stayed in an eight-bed dorm, and every bed was filled most nights. Despite this, our room only had four mirrors, four power-points and one table that was covered (and I mean covered) in rubbish left behind from previous guests. You can probably imagine the carnage in the morning as eight girls struggled to get ready for the day in front of four mirrors. And you can't exactly go to the floor's one bathroom, because that's always full too. The Generator London is constantly noisy, constantly cold and constantly inhospitable and unwelcoming. When I did finally check-out and head to the airport, I realised that I had left a personal item in my room. I sent an email to the Generator London as I was boarding my flight, asking if they could please check under the bed and under the mattress for the item I left behind (it was a charm bracelet, I had kept it on the headboard and I can only assume it fell behind the bed as I slept because I didn't see it there in the morning). I understand fully that it is my fault that I left my bracelet behind, it's pretty inevitable for me to leave something behind when I am rushing to make a flight, what I can't understand is the response (or lack thereof) that I got from the Generator London. I got no reply to my email whatsoever, not even to say that the bracelet hadn't been found. Once I had landed back in Australia, I called the Generator to see if anything had shown up. I was put through to the Travel Shop, and the lady working there assured me my email would be printed, taken to reception, and investigated. A couple of days pass, and I hear nothing from the Generator. I knew it was a low shot that it would be found, but I at least thought I'd get a reply to say as much. So I gave them a call back. I asked reception if they could please check under the bed for me, and in response I was hung up on seven times. Seven! I've never had a hotel or hostel hang up on me before, and the Generator London certainly made up for it. On my eighth phone call I ended up in the Travel Shop again, and the lady there assured me she'd look for the bracelet personally. She was the only employee I got any semblance of care or help from, and honestly she deserves a raise for that simple fact. I was willing to pay a reward for the bracelet (it's irreplaceable) and of course pay for return postage, and the staff at the Generator London made it clear they did not care at all about me or my custom. The only good thing about this hostel is its location -- it's located within easy walking distance of three tube lines, which is good because you're going to want to get as far away from this hostel as you can while you're staying there. I go to London (fairly) regularly. I have friends who travel to London for work and pleasure. I will never stay in the Generator ever again, and I will be encouraging everyone I know to stay far away from it. I'd rather stay in a less "hip" hostel and get good service than ever feel that unwelcome at the Generator London ever again.
Breakfast was a rip off and non refundable
Too big to care about their guests, feels hollow and cheesy. Expensive and crowded.
Age 22, Australian
Great for socialising, not so good for sleeping
Stayed at the Generator about a week ago. The hostel was very clean and modern and had a great bar, cafe and travel shop. It was great for socialising, however, as the hostel does not have air conditioning we found it very difficult to sleep even with the windows open and blinds open.
A disorganized big business
The Generator Hostel gets two stars. When I checked in they had placed me in a 10 bed mixed dorm even though I had booked an 8 bed female dorm. With some effort this was corrected. While I was there it seemed that the hostel was taking multiple bookings for large groups of children and this meant the hallways were loud. A room next door to mine played loud music until 4am and the staff didn't seem to be able to stop this. I had also paid for a late check out, however the staff then checked someone in that morning and I was woken up at 11am with the next guest standing over me, somewhat confused. The Generator would be ok if you plan only one night and spend most of it outside of the room.
I just complain about the staff
The GENERATOR has the worst staff ever, especially the guy whose whose name I don't know. He insults and acts as if the hostel were his. He lacks education, culture and since the hostel has this policy that you as a guest, must treat the staff well, or else you can be expelled, they abuse and mistreat THEIR CLIENTS badly. This hostel MUST teach those uncultured subhumans that they also need to respect and not to behave rudely with the ones who at the end, leave their money there.
Rude, inconsiderate, discriminatory.
The place is noisy to say the least. Staff are apart from being purely trained rude -- probably to cover up their deficiencies. Management (a certain "wise gentelman" from the Orient) does not hesitate to call guest liars to cover up their one deficiencies. The policy of no under-18s is discriminatory to parents traveling with their children.
Best Hostel in Europe
The Generator is AWESOME!! It is definitely very big, but that allows you to meet a huge amount of people -- they have a bar with events each night, a lounge room and another room they call the Turbine where you can relax, play pool and meet other travelers. I have stayed in hostels all over Europe and 2 others in London and this was definitely the best I found. The staff were great, the rooms were fine, and the free breakfast is excellent. All in all a great place to stay on a budget in London. You wont want to leave.
Evan Daily
Generator Hostel London is a fun place to stay for a few nights. There are eight hundred beds here, so this large hostel may not be everyone's ideal choice. If you want to party, there is the bar, but if you want to relax there is the The Turbine Lounge, with a homey feel. For longer stays it is lacking a guest kitchen and clean bathroom facilities. The hostel attracts a younger crowd. The Location The hostel is a few minutes walk from Russell Square Tube. It is easy to find, with a big sign on the side of a building. You have to walk through a passageway to get to the hostel. There is a security guard. The area is good, with lots of eating places around. It is a short walk to Kings Cross. Rooms and Bathrooms The dorm rooms vary in number of beds (private rooms are also available). There is a choice of female only or mixed dorms (we stayed in an eight-bed, female dorm). There is a sink with a mirror as well as lockers (supply your own padlock) in the room. Unfortunately there is no hot water. Beds are ready made. There are ceiling heaters in the room. Access to rooms is by key card. Rooms are cosy enough -- you feel you can spend time in there if you do not feel like being in the rest of the hostel. Bathrooms are down the hall -- there are no ensuites in the hostel. The bathrooms are not particularly clean and the showers have shower curtains, so there is not a great deal of privacy. There are no hooks in the shower, so you have to leave your belongings outside the curtain. Common Spaces There is a luggage storage room for storing belongings until the 2 p.m. check-in time. We do not feel it is particularly secure -- a key card is handed out at reception to access the room and no staff member escorts guests to the luggage room. There are laundry facilities (but detergent is not supplied). There is a travel shop with lots of travel supplies, goodies, and Generator souvenirs such as t-shirts, bags, and postcards. There is a brightly coloured, cosy lounge area with pool tables, however it lacks a television. People tend to sit in their own groups, so it does not seem particularly easy to meet people in here and it is small compared to the number of guests here.There is a dining area with steel chairs and tables. There is a television in the room, but the room has a rather cold and industrial atmosphere. There are computers nearby, which can be used for a fee (they also charge for Wi-Fi access, which was not working when we arrived). There is a kitchen serving dinner for a price. You cannot cook your own food, although water, juice, and tea and coffee are available all day for free. There is a large, industrial-feeling bar (dimly lit with a few tables). Cheaper drinks are served during happy hour and there is also a cocktail and shooter menu. There are nightly bar activities planned, such as pool tournaments and strip twister. It is fairly social but most guests appeared to be traveling in groups at the time and looked around eighteen years old. Summary The Generator is a good place to stay if you are looking for some evening drinking activities after a day out touring the city. The industrial atmosphere will not be to everyone's taste, but facilities are varied enough to amuse different guests for a few nights.

Rate Generator Hostel London