Dubrovnik Backpackers Club

You won't miss home while staying at the Dubrovnik Backpacker's Club, which is run by a family you'll be a part of by the time you leave. Sharing big meals, heading to the beach, and partying in Old Dubrovnik -- it can be easy to forget who is the host and who is the visitor. The mother of the family will be pushing her homemade death-flavoured alcohol on you and cooking some serious snacks all day, while still maintaining knowledge of only a few words in any language other than Croatian.

The boys of the family (one is twenty-something and one is in his late teens) run the hostel, booking travelers, translating, handling the cash, showing you drinking holes around the city, and leading groups of travellers through the maze that is Old Dubrovnik.The family can help to rent you a boat if you please.

Backpackers Club is half-hostel, half-appartment with the dorm room on the ground level and the other rooms on the top floor of a multi-resident townhouse on the Babin Kuk area of Dubrovnik. A big communal kitchen is where everybody eats and drinks with laughter. The dorm room wasn't quite finished with only half the washroom tiled and minimal furniture in the room. Single rooms are available. The house is high atop the peninsula of Babin Kuk with a five-minute walk down to a nice beach, a restaurant, and the clear and comfy waters of the Adriatic Sea, as well as a ten- to twenty-minute bus ride away from old town, and free internet. But it's a bit on the pricey side for what is offered.

April 2006

How is Dubrovnik Backpackers Club rated on other websites?
5   Amazing owners and great hostel Rooms were clean and well equipped. Bed was pretty comfortable too. Wifi worked great and Milka makes a fantastic breakfast for an extra 20kuna. But most of all the family were just complete legends. Thanks for a great stay guys!  ()
5   AMAZING place to stay! This hostel was so fantastic I do not even know where to start to write this review. The amazingness started from the moment we got picked up from the bus. We received a driving tour on our way to the hostel that included tons of helpful information for our whole stay, and when we got to the hostel Milka gave us homemade crab apple liqueur shots, that tasted like heaven, and homemade snacks to go along with it. "Good man" sat down with us upon checkin and went through with us what buses to take and where in the city we should go, he even pointed out some secluded beaches with amazing views of the city. Our room was a separate house with our own bathroom, fridge, and air-conditioning (which was a welcome relief from the intense summer heat). The people that were also staying at the hostel all had amazing personalities and were so friendly that you could talk for an hour over the endless home made french toast and preservatives at breakfast. Milka greeted you every morning by saying your name and giving you a hug and a plate filled with the best french toast you will ever taste. The day excursion that we had the pleasure of going on was the most amazing experience of swimming in underwater caves and eating some of the most delicious seafood I have ever had, and the choice in driving music was superb. The hostel even told you where to go for a good pub crawl or night on the town. As for convenience there were 2 different grocery stores relatively nearby, several beaches, and 2 main bus stops all within easy (though hilly) walking distance. All in all our stay here was, I will say it again, amazing ... just writing this makes me want to go back again, and I only hope I get the chance to visit this fantastic hostel sometime in the future.  , age 18, Canada ()
5   Going to Dubrovnik? YOU HAVE TO STAY HERE!!!! I have been to plenty of hostels throughout Europe -- some big, some small, some family-run, some not -- but this place is unlike any other. It's really hard to describe how much DBC just feels like home, but I think this proves it. when I was staying there, every single person in the hostel (literally, everyone) extended their stay by at least a few days. Kids booked a week and stayed for two, booked 3 days and stayed for 7, (we thought we would be there for a day, stayed for three, and wish we could have stayed longer) and the Perkovic family just made it work! Milka cooks unbelievable breakfasts and dinners, you will have never eaten so much food in your life, and she will make an effort to know every single person by name. Nik, Josip, and Ivica (brothers) are wonderful as well. Ivica leads awesome day trips (we did Bosnia -- oyster tasting, swimming in a waterfall, spit-roasted lamb lunch, and tour of Mostar, highly recommend) and after hanging out with Nik and Josip for a few hours, it felt like I had known them for years. I really cannot recommend this hostel enough. If you are a tired solo traveler looking for a taste of home, this is for you. If you are traveling in a group and want a great launching point for the beach, bars, and daytrips, this is for you as well. I truly cannot wait to go back! And I am missing it greatly as I write this, hope to see you all soon!  , USA ()
5  I was there in August 2006 and had the greatest hostel experience ever! It's basically like staying with family. The three brothers, their amazing mother, and even their family friends were all so welcoming. Great location away from the old town, but easy to reach by bus, or even a long walk. I just can't say how highly I recommend this hostel!  ()
Dubrovnik Backpackers Club Reviews from the Web