Kipps Hostel Canterbury Backpackers

Kipps is a great little hostel that feels like home. It's located about a ten minute walk from the central part of Canterbury. There are two train stations in Canterbury and Kipps is closer to the East station at about a five minute walk away, while it's about a 20 minute walk from the West station. By the way, you may not have a choice as far as which train station you arrive at since they serve completely separate lines and which station you will arrive at depends on where you are arriving from. The bus station, serviced by Eurolines, is also nearby, close to the East train station.

Kipps has the look and feel of a nice house. There are plenty of comfortable common areas and it's a great place to meet other backpackers. In the front is a large TV room, which serves as the main hang out area. The room also includes a video collection and an internet computer. Unfortunately the internet computer isn't free, but at least it's a little more reasonable than at many hostels.

In the middle of the house is a very nice large kitchen with every necessary utensil. Towards the back is a covered patio eating area and a backyard (where travellers with camping gear can pitch a tent).

The dorm rooms are located on the main floor and upstairs. The rooms are small, very small. They squeeze two bunk beds into each room, with just a tiny space between them and not much else. If you don't plan to spend much time in the room outside of sleeping, this shouldn't be too much of a problem. The bathrooms are clean and modern, but since there are only two in the hostel, there can be a bit of a wait in the morning.

The hostel is run by the owner and a staff person and they're warm and friendly. Oh, and so is the owners dog which spends most of the day roaming around the hostel looking for someone to play with him.

This is a great hostel that has everything you could ask for and it's definitely a great place to stay when in Canterbury.

by David
August 2005
How is Kipps Hostel Canterbury Backpackers rated on other websites?
4   Nice Place!! We were wary of another "Backpackers" Hostel, since they seem to have the lowest standards of all hostels. We were pleasantly surprised! Cleanest one we ever saw! It was nice in every way and we recommend it. Big, bright sleeping dorms with high quality wooden bunk beds were a bonus, too. Super kitchen, super common room. Showers and facilities very good.  , USA ()
5   Clean, Fun and well located I stayed here two nights. It was a great place to stay in a lovely town. The staff were really helpful, fed us for free in the bbq on the Sat night and were very welcoming. I highly recommend this hostel. The atmosphere was also great.  , age 26, Ireland ()
5   Best hostel yet! Loved it! They treat you like family, and it's such a tight-knit community that I was choking back tears when I left (after only 2 days!). The facilities are gorgeous, the breakfast was delicious and very well priced (about $3 CAD), and the suppers were wonderful (we even had a free BBQ one night!). They kept everything super clean and tidy, and they were so accommodating I could hardly believe I was in a hostel. Only minor complaint would be that my bed was very rickety, and squeaked loudly at even the slightest movement. All in all, this was one of the best hostels I've stayed at, and i can't wait to go back!  , age 23, Canada ()
5   Great I was there, found it fantastic! Best kitchen I've ever seen in a hostel! (why don't they post a picture?) there are nice people and very nice rooms (exept there's someone snoring). first address I'd give to anybody that ask me for a hostel in canterbury.  , germany ()
5   FANTASTIC I am a regular visitor of Kipps. Every time I return the staff are always welcoming. The beds are comfortable and already made up! Just like going home!! And of course the highlight of the week is when Luigi cookes some pasta al'italiano! You bring your own drinks and there is a sing song afterwards! It is GREAT, you can talk to the other people of all nationalities which adds to the wonderful atmosphere. I would say that it is also great if you want to go on a retreat! The cleanliness is impecable. THANK YOU KIPPS!  , England ()
5   The homiest place This is the homiest hostel I've been to -- it feels just like staying in someone's home. Staff are very friendly. The kitchen and bathrooms are spotless. It's small, but doesn't feel crowded.  ()
5  This is definitely the best hostel I have ever stayed in.  ()
5  I LOVE this hostel. I've never felt so welcome in a hostel so fast. It's really clean, has a big, well-equipped kitchen, and you can eat in the garden. Tip: buy your breakfast at the hostel, it's really good. The lounge is really helpful--I met so many friendly people there! :) The town is great, too. I'm in love with the town AND the hostel!  ()
Kipps Hostel Canterbury Backpackers Reviews from the Web