Baxpax Mitte Hostel

A friendly and somewhat social hostel with a sitting area (including beanbag chairs) and bar. There is also a TV room. The whole place is decorated with an art-deco look and it's really very nice. The largest dorm room (the "penthouse") is at the top of 5 flights of stairs with no elevator, so it's a long hike to your room if you've been walking around all day.

There are dim sleeping lights in the large dorm that never turn off, so you might have trouble getting rest if you need darkness to fall asleep. The shower in the main dorm room has a private changing area but no shelf or hooks for your clothes.

They don't allow you to extend your stay at check-out time in the high season, so you must reserve a bed for your full stay ahead of time. The same people also manage the BaxPax hostel (also in Berlin).

by David
How is Baxpax Mitte Hostel rated on other websites?
4   It's good Very good staff.  ()
4   Good location Fairly standard hostel. The rooms feature good power outlets. The location is really nice. It's right outside a U-Bahn station and is two stops from the major Friedrichstraße (which multiple U-Bahn/S-Bahn connections. As well there is a cheap grocery store 200m away. The common area was a little small, but other than that it is a fine hostel.  , age 25, USA ()
1   Stay somewhere else A few problems I encountered at the Baxpax hostel here during my first couple of nights here in Berlin. When I first walked into the dorm room after checking in, I wasn't sure which bed was mine as there were clothes strewn on every bed, so I had to get the reception guy to come in to the room and show me which bed was mine. Later on, as I was getting ready for bed, a Brazilian woman came into the room and told that my bed was actually her bed. I told her reception had actually come into the room to show me which bed was mine, but we went back to reception to sort it out. By this time, a different person was working the desk and when we told her about our situation, she seemed delighted (?!) at our predicament and stated that this was the third day in a row this has occurred! It turns out the Brazilian woman had extended her stay an extra day and the bed was in fact hers and I had to move to a neighbouring room that featured less beds (one of the few positives of my stay there), but not enough lockers for the amount of beds in the room (one of the locks was also broken, rendering us with four secure lockers for eight people). This might seem like a small detail, but I've been the victim of hostel robbery in the past, so it would have been nice to have been able to securely store my stuff in the room and not in the luggage storage by the front desk. I also encountered these other inconveniences during my stay. They don't even serve any kind of breakfast (only coffee), which is usually rare in European hostels. To make a quick local call I still had to pay one euro for less than 4 minutes of talk time. The hostel is also located above a tango studio that blared their music until at least 1 am. The beds are cheap IKEA beds that squeak like hell every time you move a muscle (although this is pretty common in hostels). The lights in the showers are movement-based and on more than one occasion I was plunged into total darkness while taking a shower. I almost had to exit the shower room completely (buck naked) before the motion sensor activated the lights again. Needless to say, I was pretty disappointed. For the same kind of money, there are much better hostels in Berlin with better services.  , Canada ()
2   Bland and Expensive Was charged much more than the prices online, even though the internet booking system was down. Very bland and commercial place.  ()
4   Awesome This place was very clean, nice people who worked there, and very understanding about last minute people coming in late. No complaints other than people's alarm clocks going off early in the morning, but it's understandable if people have to make train times.  , US ()
4  Walking distance from/to the main train station and well priced. The 32 person room though is a little much if you're not used to hostels. All night you listen to people snoring and snogging. The bathroom for that room is only a one shower, one toilet, and one sink bathroom, for the guys anyway.  , Floridian ()
5  I stayed at this hostel in 2006 and enjoyed it. Right across the street from an U-Bahn station and within walking distance of an S-Bahn station. The staff were very friendly and were ok with me arriving later than usual, they lost my luggage at Frankfurt AM. Lots of fellow travelers. There is also a bar in the lobby. My only complaint is that I worked so hard to get my bed tidy and paid my sheet deposit only to come back later and find out someone stole my bed. These things happen though and the staff understood as well and gave me a new set of sheets. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm but between Binz and Prague stayed in a 24 bed dorm. Only complaint there was that the toilet seat was messed up.  , USA ()
4  I stayed here in June 2006. We were a group of three and we stayed in a triple room. The staff were friendly enough and the location was pretty good, with a U Bahn and an S Bahn stop within easy walking distance. The lobby was a good place to hang out in, with many fellow travellers about. Overall, a good stay.  ()
Baxpax Mitte Hostel Reviews from the Web