Polynesian Hostel Beach Club

Accommodation is expensive in Waikiki -- one of the cheapest hostels is the Polynesian Hostel Beach Club. Located on Lemon Rd, it's next to three other well known budget accommodations. The location is awesome -- barely a block from the famous Waikiki Beach. There's also an ABC shop close by, great for self-catering options.

The building is showing its age, but is generally clean and tidy inside. Wooden floors make the building feel more open and less stuffy. Like most of the other hostels the common areas are open air and located on ground level. Which is great when the weather is fine, but when it's not you can hide away in the TV room. There's hammocks, wooden benches, cheap internet facilities, and a kitchen. You can also borrow the body boards, lilacs, and beach towels for the day.

Dorm rooms are four-bed or ten-bed and have one toilet and shower in each (located in the same room). The water pressure is good and you're guaranteed a steaming hot shower, which is a rarity in large dorms. While not completely spotless, the bathroom is large and there is ample space to get changed. Although in some rooms, the ceiling fan in the bathroom is old and noisy, which is annoying if you have someone getting up to use the bathroom lots during the night. They have air conditioning in every room (which is rarely used), and there's also several large portable fans. The only downside is that lockers are absent and you'll have to resort to chaining your items to the bed or storing them downstairs in the small room with other bags piled on top. There are also no blinds in the dorm rooms, which might be a pain if you can't handle sleeping during the day without them if you need a day room.

The Polynesian Hostel is a good budget option for Waikiki. While not completely spotless, the hostel makes up for its negatives with the price and friendly social atmosphere. It's Waikiki anyway, so it's not like you'll be indoors all day! Cheap (and sometimes free) events are organised every day for guests, ranging from harbour cruises to $1 drink nights, BBQs and even dodgeball in the backyard. The hostel is well known and you can hire Roberts Buses from the airport -- they'll drop you off out the front. The hostel charges an extra dollar for credit card payments and you're required to give them a small key deposit.

November 2006

How is Polynesian Hostel Beach Club rated on other websites?
1   DO NOT STAY HERE!! BUGS, NOISE, SMELL, UNFRIENDLY ENVIRONMENT I've stayed in some bad hostels, but this is by far the absolute WORST. The employees had more idea what they were doing and gave me the wrong key to my room. Once I finally got into the room it looked as if people have been living there for years. The employees do absolutely no cleaning, the rooms smell horrible, and the worst part is the bug problem! Cockroaches and what looked like ticks were crawling over everything! Please, DO NOT STAY HERE!! I couldn't sleep at all because of the street noise (and the woman below me making threats to kill people in her sleep) I would have even been able to handle that if I didn't feel bugs crawling over me all night. I finally gave up and had to get out of that place, I walked down to the street and the lovely people at a nearby hostel allowed me to stay in their common area for free because they know how bad it is at the Polynesian hostel. I ended up staying at the second hostel for the rest of my time in Oahu and had a wonderful time. IF YOU RESPECT YOURSELF AT ALL, YOU WILL NOT STAY AT THE POLYNESIAN HOSTEL!  , age 19, United States of America ()
5   I Would Be Happy to Stay Here Again Although I am older than the usual age of people who stay in hostels I have stayed in hostels for woman many times in India over the years so I am accustomed to the simple, no frills accommodations. The Polynesian Hostel is very clean, the beds comfortable, the staff friendly and the complimentary pancakes offered in the morning very tasty. The staff helped me with my largest suitcase to the 3rd floor. I was worried that there would be a lot of noise with the shared bathroom but the strong sound of the fan drowned out nearly all sound and I was able to sleep soundly. I appreciated having a clean, pleasant experience for a modest price. I would be happy to stay at the Polynesian Hostel again or recommend it to others.  , age 61, USA ()
3   Good Location, Clean, Strange room layout I just got back from my stay at the Polynesian. The rooms were clean and the location is great. Right by the main strip but in the back so not too loud. The atmosphere in the social area was lacking in comparison to other Hostels but that being said it was much more quiet so it depends on what you are interested in. If you want to party this might not be the place for you but I liked it. The rooms are kind of strange as the private rooms are generally attached to a dorm room which means you have to walk through the dorm to get to your room. Other than that it was a great average hostel to stay in and a reasonable price.  , age 29, Canada ()
1   Sh*thole Don't spend more than one night here. Very dirty!  ()
3   Good Location Great location, very close to the beach. The hostel looks nice in the pictures but it is much messier and the bathroom/shower was pretty yuck I had to wear sandals in there. Some staff were helpful but some were really lifeless and not very welcoming. The communal areas were fairly good. The kitchen is sort of outside. It gets very hot in the rooms at night. It's good if you just need somewhere to sleep but otherwise it is very unclean and i wouldn't recommend it.  , age 21, Australia ()
5   Super friendly Had a great time super friendly staff and great fun.  , age 24, Oregon ()
3   Ok for a night ... The hostel is decent for staying for one night but multiple night i would look elsewhere.  , age 33, USA ()
1   Free night stay for posting a staff written review They Will give u a free night stay if you post a review. staff will tell u what review should say.  , usa ()
Polynesian Hostel Beach Club Reviews from the Web