Sleek Backpackers

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Sleek Backpackers" at 477 Jan Smuts Avenue.)

477 Jan Smuts Avenue, Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
-26.189592, 28.032417 (accuracy not guaranteed)
www.sleekhostel.150m.com
+27 11 787 8070
+27 781 0886

How is Sleek Backpackers rated on other websites?

Very Bad Experience
I arrived in Sleek Backpackers about 11 pm. They asked me to pay 1000 Rand. I paid the money but what I saw was terrible. it was a very small shared room with a dis-separated toilet at a corner, no chair or table no bureau. You could be seen when toileting. Room door was very weak. The bed was very bad and so dirty that I had to cover it by my own blanket. There was really a bad smell in the room. Pipe water was cold. There was no soap, no water for drink, no tissue in toilet. I could not sleep all night long. At early morning woke up due to people load speaking in the yard. it was too busy. The kitchen was 1.5 per 1.5 meter full of women cooking lunch. There was no seat to sit and eat the breakfast. The breakfast was only a little butter with a loaf of bread. There were many people, mostly black were sitting in the yard and watching me. I decided to move to another hotel on morning. I asked my money but unfortunately a fat lady in reception told that it was refundable. I consist very much but finally, she refund only 500 Rand out of my 1000 Rand gust after 4 hours. It was a real scam and a bad experience for me. I never recommend this hostel to people. This hostel must be shut down by Department of Tourism.
Shahram
Age 44, Iranian
2013-03-31

Really lovely atmosphere
Great friendly service, clean room, kitchen and bathroom.
(botswana)
2012-06-01

Weird
The staff were less than helpful, and most of the guests were temporary South African workers. The owner was down right rude, but generally the service is poor everywhere in SA. Interesting mix of people, especially the guy who had the criminal record for drugs. I couldn't wait to get out of the place and fly home! I stayed there Sept. 2007.
Kevin
(Australia)
2007-11-12
  I absolutely loved staying at Sleek during my stay in Johannesburg, South Africa. The owners were so helpful in every way and if I needed even the smallest thing like an extension cable, my wish was granted. The swimming pool was amazing and relaxing (full sunlit). I recommend this hostel as one of the top five i've stayed in all my travels, and that's through entire Europe, Australia and U.K.. Well done Sleek!
Jessica Edkins
2006-06-29
  This is one of the cleanest places we've stayed at. It has really nice dorms and good beds. The staff are awesome. They will help you with everything. The dogs will not go near you if you don't want them to. I have nothing but good things to say about this place. Come and experience it!
Anders and Michael
2004-11-18
  This is a great place to be. The atmosphere is splendid and the hosts are wonderful.
2004-10-06
  We had a gr8 stay at Sleek backpackers. The staff changed our thinking about Johannesburg. Our days were filled with things to do. We did a tour of the city and Soweto with the owner lady, which was excellent and very informative. Would recommend them to anyone going to South Africa.
2004-02-22
  I love Sleek Backpackers. The place is friendly and very homely. I would highly recommend it to anyone.
2003-11-07