Old Prague Hostel

Old Prague Hostel is an amazing opportunity to sleep easy and party hard. The hostel itself does not party but you are close to all the action. Squeezed between tourist shops and a strip club, it's nothing but ordinary! We say give it a go!

Parking is extremely difficult to find and not cheap when found. We went to the big shopping center's underground parking structure -- it is a twenty-minute walk from the hostel. The hostel is ideally located in Old Town Prague -- the place you want to be. It is only a few steps away from the Main Square with the Astronomical Clock! Beautiful! The location is also in close proximity to the nightlife, yet far enough away that you don't get a lot of noise. You can walk all of Prague -- no need to buy any sort of transport card.

The very spacious rooms come with lockers -- reception gives you the key for the locker with your room key (free of charge). The beds are quite comfortable as well. For the men, the bathrooms are not very good -- there's only one shower per floor. The women have a big, communal shower room with big mirrors and ample lighting. The toilets are separate from the showers. They are very clean and well kept. You can also get towels from reception.

There is a kitchen where free breakfast -- including cereals, sandwiches, and fruit juices -- is served. There is a large living room with TV and books. This is not a party hostel and everyone there is very friendly, though it is difficult to meet anyone. There is no smoking, and everyone seems to abide by this rule.

Summary

Overall, Old Prague Hostel is incredible. It's in a beautiful, old building with a grand staircase -- though the lift was not working during our stay. It is very affordable and worth the price. You will get a great night's sleep here and be very close to all what Prague has to offer! We highly recommend staying here! Prague is a beautiful city and you would feel comfortable anywhere you stay, but Old Prague Hostel has the best location in a beautiful building!

April 2012

Video
How is Old Prague Hostel rated on other websites?
Old Prague Hostel Reviews from the Web
4   Pretty Good The staff were so-so, seemed kinda grumpy, but free internet is a definite bonus, and free breakfast, although it isn't the greatest (cornflakes and juice), it is free. The lockup cage at the front is pretty sweet, but directions to this place are ridiculous, we were lost for two hours before we found it, even with directions and a map. The location is best about this place, super easy to get to everything. Overall, pretty good place, oh, but rather smoky.  , Canada ()
1   Horrible I am almost shocked that today, right after I checked out of that horrible hostel, someone else had almost the exact same experience as me. I love how the receptionist called it "subjective." Interesting how two people who were on two completely different trips and have two completely different lives had the exact same sh*tty service. My experience was identical in that I had booked a six-person room and they put me in an eight-person bedroom. I too had to politely explain the mistake and the receptionist was rude and flippant about the whole thing. He then put me in a six-person room right inside the common room and i got the pleasure of listening to people talk all night while I tried to sleep in the disgusting, uncomfortable bed. No pillowcase on the gross pillows, the bed sheet had a hole in it. The bathrooms were atrocious. I've stayed in a lot of hostels in my time and this was a complete disaster. People were smoking in the common room and even the friendly receptionist himself was smoking when I walked in. It was dark, the carpets were dirty, there were only two computers and a huge line up to use them. The next day the manager was even ruder and when I approached him politely to tell him I was canceling, he said, "Oh yes, I've heard about you." As if I was some criminal. Anyway, just a warning to future travelers to stay clear of this joint.  , Canada ()
3  January 2007. Very central location -- a ten-minute walk to the old town square and astronomical clock. Also only five minutes from metro station, Namesti Republiky, which is super convenient to make connections to other lines quickly. The hostel is also close to grocery stores, a shopping center, and restaurants. The hostel itself is average, per se, it is kept clean regularly but the atmosphere lacks a bit.  ()
1  When I showed up the reception dude was the most rude person I think I have met on my entire journey in Europe thus far. I reserved and paid the deposit for a six-person room. When I showed up he gave me the eight-person room and expected me to pay the six-person price. I guess he thought I wouldn't notice. When I refused, he decided he was doing me a favor by making me pay the rate for the eight-person room because they had already resold my room even though I paid for and reserved it. Then the place advertises to accept USD and Euro, which he acted like he wouldn't take until I pressed the issue. Now he just treats me like complete dirt because I simply requested what I paid for and expected them to deliver what they advertise. He even went to the point of making snide and rude comments in front of other guests I guess to try and embarrass me. This seems to be the worst run business I have encountered in many years. It is certainly not customer oriented and unfortunately they do not realize who pays their salaries. The room is not very nice, the shower facilities were disgusting, the bathroom was extremely small, but mostly I am so unimpressed with the professionalism and the complete rudeness of this place. Do not waste your money with this place unless your alternative is the street.
Response from the accommodation: My name is Marek Kubej and I would like to react on Trey's comment…We always respect our guest's comments, some of them are good some of them worse. We can realize that our hostel is not always perfect considering a mass of guests but Trey's comment seems to us realy incorrect and subjective. Its true that there was a misunderstanding with room type and currency of payment with Trey what we are sorry for and the reception tried to set it right. But I would like to react on way of describing of whole problem and mainly of our hostel which is deffinitely incorrect and subjective! We are proud of our hostel especially of its cleanliness. Our guest's reviews, comments and that they are coming back is the best proof. Some mistake or misunderstanding can happen but word like disgusting seem to us too emotional and not objective. So do not stay in the street we are not so bad… Anyway we would like to apologize to Trey for any inconvenience.  ()
3  Nice clean hostel, the staff was not very friendly. After just arriving, wish we could have had more direction in Prague. Make sure you don't get a room that is attached to the common room. It was so loud and we couldn't sleep.  ()
4  Stayed here over the Easter long weekend so it was busy, but overall good. The directions to the hostel are very difficult to follow. We walked around for ages looking for it so I suggest you print off your own street map of Prague which would make it a lot easier. But the hostel is in a great location and close to everything. The hostel was really clean and you get a packed roll for breakfast as well as cereal and coffee, etc. The hostel was a bit noisy though and the mattresses weren't the best. We also gave two hundred korunas as a deposit but we only got one hundred back. He insisted that everyone pays one hundred but we are 100% sure that we handed over two hundred not one hundred. Overall, not a bad hostel.  ()
2  Had heard great things about this hostel and was impressed when i first arrived but then the staff were unfriendly and i had money stolen. I was led to believe this was a secure hostel, but then on confronting staff it was let slip that the keys of the rooms were kept in an accessable place!! I am an experienced traveller that has stayed in hostels all over the world so am aware that there is not always the garantee that things will be 100% safe, but i stayed in the 5 bed dorm with friends i have known for years and we were adamant that the dorm was always kept locked. My stay was ruined so do not stay here solely on the ratings of security like i did, and if you do stay here be careful and watch your things!  ()
5  This hostel was great! Would recommend it to any traveller who is looking for a fun time in Prague! We stayed in a 6-bed dorm, everything was clean and there was one cupboard for each person to lock their stuff up in. Showers were clean (although in peak times not exactly hot, but still bearable), toilets also clean and common room area also spotless (if a bit smoky at times). Best of all, the staff were really relaxed - no packing up the breakfast at 5 past 10, it just kind of sat there until everyone had had their fill. There's also safety deposit boxes at reception and a cage to put your luggage in after you've checked out. Five minute walk to old town square, supermarket round the corner (you can also cook at the hostel) and clubs, bars etc. all within easy walking distance.  ()