A Plus Hostel

A Plus Hostel is a very good budget hostel in an area with lots of interesting architecture.

It's about a fifteen-minute walk to the main town square. However, because of the layout of the city, it is easy to get to the town square because all the road lead to it, but then finding the hostel again afterward can be tricky because the roads are very randomly laid out. Just remember that this hostel is located right near Florenc subway station and you should be okay. It is located right behind the McDonald's after going underneath a bridge after exiting left from Florenc station.

The beds in the room we stayed in (ten-bed male dorm) were bunk beds, made of wood, and were solid. The pillow is somewhat small but clean and allows for a comfortable sleep. There is a cupboard with coat hangers that we used to dry hand washed clothes. The windows are large and could be opened, allowing air to get in. The door opens with a key card. There are wooden boxes under the beds to lock your things, but remember to bring your own lock. Also these are not big enough to store your entire backpack. The boxes could probably be broken into with some effort with a hammer or a screwdriver, but it would be noticeable. Bring your really important things with you when you go out. There is an option to store stuff in a safe at the main reception as well.

Bathrooms are located in rooms throughout the hostel. The showers are communal showers (at least in the men's washroom) with four shower heads in one shower room. It is spacious enough for four people, and the stream of water is very nice, like a massage. The only thing is, of course, is that there is absolutely no privacy. Nonetheless, the bathrooms are spotless and often unused by other visitors so if you want a private shower, you probably would be able at an off peak time.

The restaurant in the basement is nice, and the breakfast is quite good -- it includes cereal, mixed juices, baguettes, slices of break, various cured meats and cold cuts, yogurt, very good cheese slices, a macaroni salad, as well as hot dogs boiled in water. The breakfast is enough to fill you until dinner, and is well prepared with fresh ingredients. There is a nice area in the lobby to sit and there is a computer here with free internet. Also, the reception allows you to email things like tickets/directions and they would print them for you. You could also purchase metro tickets and things like water from the reception. Most of the people there are other backpackers.

Summary

The prices are good, especially with the very good breakfast and location close to the main town square -- it's worth it to go.

May 2009

How is A Plus Hostel rated on other websites?
A Plus Hostel Reviews from the Web
4   Good moments! When we arrived at this hostel, I wasn't sure about the quality of the service. However, the receptionist was very polite and helpful. We were very tired, but we felt a good atmosphere. The room was ok (it's a hostel). It's clean enough to feel comfortable and safe. I liked the kitchen; very cool when you want to make your own food. You lose less money. The toilet were ok. Showers were communal, which means that I had to shower naked in front of my friends and strangers. As a Canadian, I wasn't very comfortable with that, but I guess it's part of the experience. Thank for the service, we all had a good time!  , Canada ()
3   Yeah nice and clean and great beds This place was great for a few nights, Great beds and bedding no problems at all. Shower were communal with like 5 shower heads in one open room, it was ok we are use to it from school.  , Australian ()
4   Fantasticaly Cozy and Clean I stayed at APlus from 22 to 28 Dec 2007. This place is more than value for your money. Cool and Friendly Staff, Hygienic and Clean, Cozy and Comfortable. It also has a nice Bar and Restaurant, the food is cheap and tasty. They Provide twenty-four/seven Internet Access and free breakfast everyday. I just loved my stay there -- amazing experience. very close (eight minutes' walk) to the Kamikaze Disco (Stag entry 350czk, with unlimited Drinks, you just name it) and City Center. except one glitch, the cook at the restaurant -- he is creepy, full of crap stories. don't be friendly with him unless you enjoy arrogant talks.  , India ()
3  A Plus was an ok hostel. The location was pretty decent, across the street from a Metro Station and some of the staff were very helpful, some as I later found out. My major problem was security for my belongings, if you stay at this place lock everything that is even considered to be of value away safely! I went to the disco next to Charles Bridge one evening and decided to chain my backpack to the bed in the hostel and place a cover over it. When I arrived back I noticed the door to my room was wide open, key card access only, and my backpack had been broken into. My iPod had been stolen. The staff did not want to admit that there was any security problem whatsoever which really made it difficult as I explained to them I wasn't mad about the iPod I was mad that they would be so careless as to not check a door to a fourteen-person room and how it was 4 a.m. and the guy at the front desk didn't even ask if I was staying at the hostel. Aside from that the community shower issue is not that big of a deal, it's better than gym class or regular community showering. Bar was very nice and the breakfast was amazing.  , USA ()
4  No complaints. Reception extremely helpful. If they improved the restaurant food and got rid of that dumb man who has apparently lived there for three years and keeps buying champagne, I'd be happy to stay there again. My bedroom was basic, but what the hell? All I needed was a bed. Could have used some coat-hangers, though. To the lady in reception, we talked about traveling by train -- the 'Night City', twenty sleeper carriages and a night-club carriage, eight hours between Berlin and Brussels -- magic. Thanks for all your help. I'll be coming back.  ()
2  I stayed 3 nights here and probably wouldn't again. The staff were not that helpful or overy friendly. Our key cards to get into our rooms were constantly not working and the communal showers were a bit of a disappointed. More of a party hostel, but it didn't have much character...however the free breakfast wasn't too bad!  ()
3  My friends and I stayed here in January for a few nights. The place is very clean and tidy and the staff were very helpful and available twenty-four hours a day. The beds are comfy, the rooms clean and the bathrooms newly renovated and extremely clean. If you don't like having a shower with others of the same sex, then either wear a swimsuit or choose your showering times effectively. There are no dividers or curtains separating you and other people showering. The basement is a bit of a social hand-out, however the music and bar could use some work. The location is a bit remote and if you walk in the wrong direction for about two minutes, you reach some shady-looking areas of Prague.  ()
4  I found the staff really helpful — very friendly. There's someone on the desk 24 hours a day. The hostel was clean, spacious, and provided an edible breakfast with the accommodation. We stayed for four nights and paid about £35 for the whole time... a bargain, especially when we had our own private bathroom. There are bigger rooms where you may have to share with people you don't know, but the hostel has facilities to lock your stuff away. There is a bar on the bottom floor and a barbecue outside and a really, really cheap Internet connection. It's pretty close to all the main things as well and very close to the Tube/bus station! I'd stay there again.  ()