Horizon Backpackers

Horizon Backpackers is a convenient first stop for travelers arriving in Fiji. The hostel offers free, twenty-four-hour airport pickup, as well as a free breakfast (coffee, tea, toast, jam), and has nightly activities at either the hostel itself, or at its sister hostel, which is right next door. This hostel is good value for money, and is one of the cheaper hostels in Nadi.

The hostel is located on Newtown Beach, which is about a half-hour bus ride from Nadi city centre. The bus completes the route several times per day, and is a very cheap option for travelers needing to go into Nadi. There is a beach only a few minutes’ walk from the hostel as well, although it is not the most scenic beach in Fiji.

The dorms are spacious and have several fans installed over the bunk beds. Bathrooms are ensuite and shared, with a shared shower, and separate bathrooms for males and females. There are several sinks installed in the room, and a large mirror in the common area. There are no shelves or drawers for luggage storage, but there is plenty of space between each of the bunks for luggage and bags.

There are a couple couches and a book exchange in the tour-booking area of the hostel, and the tables and benches in the restaurant area are free for guests to use at any time. There is also a small, well kept pool with several reclining pool chairs for use by guests. There is no kitchen for guests to use, but breakfast is provided, and food prices are generally affordable.

Summary

This hostel is extremely good value for travelers on a budget. Most nights also have activities planned for the evenings, such as kava nights or fire dancing shows either at the hostel itself or its slightly-more-upmarket neighbor next door.

April 2012

How is Horizon Backpackers rated on other websites?
Horizon Backpackers Reviews from the Web
3   Strange trip we arrived here late, around 11, due to travel issues. no one was at the front desk. we didn't realize that the place next door, which did have employees there, was related to this place and so stood at the desk just worried and waiting. we had to be at nadi airport at 7am the next morning, and really needed a place to sleep, and felt a bit hopeless which is not good when you're in a foreign country. when a dude showed up and said the employees had left we were very worried. he offered us two top bunks in the room in which he and his roommate were sleeping and we were super grateful, and thought it was just another act of kindness that we had been experiencing from the wonderful people of fiji. turns out NO. he was creepy and disgusting, going pee in the bathroom while i was showering and then pulling back the curtain to look at me while i was naked and toweling off. it just got worse from there, we were exhausted and just tried to sleep, and i was barely starting to fall asleep when i heard my friend say "i'm serious, stop." i sat up and said "what the f*** is going on?" and saw him standing on the bottom bunk touching my friend. he came over and laid on the bed underneath me and started poking at the mattress, he kept saying "please" and said things like "i've never had a white girl before." when i got pissed and started yelling at him he stood up and looked at me all creepy and said, "are you scared?" i started yelling and he left to smoke and i told my friend "i cannot sleep here." we grabbed our sh*t and went to the lobby and sat there, disgusted, pissed off, and nervous that now we had nowhere to rest or sleep for the next 8 hours. i finally went and spoke with some youths who were outside and they told me the place next door was the same owners. we went over there and told them the story, and they were appalled. they gave us beds and called the police, who came a bit later and took a statement from me, at which point the brought the guy out and yelled at him in fijian and put him in a cop car and took him away. i ended up not being charged for the beds. it was a horrific experience but the way it was handled as soon as we found some employees was really good, i felt. they really take pride in their island and their culture and everyone was so friendly and helpful, and the police were basically horrified that this happened to us as tourists and visitors to their country. the facilities were far from being nice, but if you just need a bed to sleep in you can't beat the price. as far as i know i also have not been charged because of the incident that happened, but my friend and i could also not sleep because of it.  , USA ()
2   Free internet? They advertise that they have free internet in the Nadi airport. What this actually means is that if you purchase a tour from them, you will receive 1/2 an hour of free internet. Not exactly the same thing.  , Canada ()
3   Basic but a good stopover option. For us it was the first stop on our trip after forty-eight hours of flights and we arrived at 9 p.m. exhausted and dirty. We were picked up on time from the airport by a friendly driver who introduced us to everyone as we got out of the car. Check in was quick and painless and we were soon shown to our room. For our first introduction to hostels it was a shock as we were shown into a crowded room with backpacks all over the floor and the beds so close to the person next to you that it you had to climb in through the end of the bunk and you felt like you were sharing a double with a stranger. Although initially it was a shock we soon got used to it and the next morning had a great breakfast and went to the beach. This is not a place for sun bathing and we were soon back at the pool where we spent the next couple of days. It might sound like I'm complaining but in the end we had a fantastic time and everyone was really friendly and we were soon relaxed with everyone else. For the price we paid you can't really complain and if you just go along with it you can have a really good time here, although I would only recommend this as a stopover on your way to the Island and not as your only experience of Fiji. Overall we had a great time here and I would recommend it to anyone as a stopover, but I would pay the extra for the air con if you want to get much sleep at night.  , UK ()
4  I found the hostel staff here really helpful. I booked online and emailed them with loads of questions which they responded to immediately. Ok, it's not the best hostel in the world but it's clean and cheap (the cheapest I found in the whole of Fiji) especially when you compare it with what you pay on the islands. The only slight downside is the distance from downtown Nadi but the bus stops right outside the hostel and it costs about 50p to get into town. We did walk it on a number of occasions and it's not bad. The breakfast is really good and they keep topping everything up so if you're late up you still get something and the coffee was excellent. They also do free airport collection. I'm planning on being back in Fiji in September and will definitely stop here again.  ()
2  I stayed in room 204, which looked clean, but I have been bothered by bedbugs all night. When I reported this in the morning, the receptionist did not seem concerned at all. I arrived at a public holiday and was advised that I could walk to Nadi (more than an hour) at night. People in Nadi were horrified when they heard this since it is considered as unsafe to walk from Newtown to Nadi downtown. They thought I should have been advised by the staff not to walk around this area at night. When I got back (by taxi) and sat at the hostel pool I felt annoyed by local males crowding in on me. I would not recommend this place, especially not room 204.  ()
1  I would not recommend Horizon to anyone. My travel partner and I booked a nights accomodation at Horizon before transferring out to our main destination in the islands and it was a bad start to our holiday. To begin with it took three phone calls before they finally picked us up from the airport after waiting for over an hour. When we finally got there it went from bad to worse. We had prepaid the nights accommodation through the travel agent but they denied receiving any money, making us fork out another fifty dollars. We had booked a four-bed air-con dorm, but were thrown into a crowded twelve-bed dorm with a broken fan. The whole experience was a disaster and it was handled very poorly by the staff who I found to be very unhelpful. Stay away!  ()
5  Ok so the rooms are a tad rustic, but its got to be expected when you are staying in Fiji. The incredibly friendly and helpful staff (expecially on the tour desk) make up for this a hundred times over. I had a great time here. Take a day trip out to the hot pools and mud baths which you can organise from Una. The food is great too, expecially the pizza.  ()
3  The hostel staff are friendly and helpful. However, they did mess up my booking -- not knowing the difference between twin and double, getting the wrong date and time, etc. The 'pool' is small and could do with a damn good degrease. There's no A/C in reception or the bookings room. Expect to get very hot. There's no kitchen and as you're out in the middle of nowhere -- ten mins from Nadi itself, you have to buy their food. We had a 'superior' room, with A/C, a bunk bed and a double. I spent an hour killing bugs. Don't stay here longer than a day, there's nothing going on here -- book a trip straight out onto one of the islands.  ()