Faro Hostel

HI - Faro Hostel is part of the Portuguese Hostel Association and affiliated with the HIH. The hostel is labeled Pousada de Juventude -- the International Hostelling sign is rather hidden around a corner so by the time you see it it you are at the hostel entrance.

The hostel is quite well located, just to the south of the the city centre on Police Street in Portuguese (abbreviated to Rua PSP), just after a park and a hundred meters or so past the police station. It's about a twenty-minute walk from the bus and railway stations, which are just north of the town centre and where there are normally taxis. The No. 2 bus stops outside the hostel but is not very frequent.

The dorms contain two wooden double bunks with plenty of space in the centre of the room. Though the lockers in the dorms are not lockable, the ones in the corridor are (bring your own padlock). The bunks are slightly shorter than many places; each has its own light.

There are showers and toilets in gender-separated blocks, with a row of showers with two curtains for each. The showers themselves are fine and can cope with a full house (which during our stay included a group of young footballers who all needed to shower in a short space of time -- and the hot water supply was adequate). The drawback to the showers is that the changing space is tiny -- it is nearly impossible to dry and dress without opening the curtain. The toilets are reasonably modern and generally clean, though like all the hostel it's been a while since the last renovations.

There is only one common area, which serves as an eating area with four benches and chairs, and as a lounge with a few soft chairs. The TV has English language channels as well as Portuguese, but there's no DVD player. This area is closed from midnight until breakfast and although this is inconvenient, it is also practical -- half of the rooms face onto the lounge and the noise travels to them.

The reception area is small and contains an expensive and awkward-to-use internet PC, a coffee machine, and a noticeboard with travel and local activity info. There is inexpensive Wi-Fi in the hostel but during our review (two visits eight weeks apart), the Wi-Fi was mostly not working. The adjacent building is an associated youth facility with free internet access in thirty-minute blocks. The guest kitchen area, containing a large fridge, microwave, and single hotplate, is pathetically small, really only allowing one person to use it at the time.

The feeling of the hostel is somewhat functional -- it has the essentials but not a lot more. There is not a lot of inherent atmosphere -- that is something guests will have to create for themselves. During our visit in winter, there were days of just a few international travelers who interacted in the usual way, and a few days where it was filled with two university football teams visiting for a competition. During the latter there was plenty of sports hostel atmosphere, noisy and energetic -- different from most traveler hostels but just as valid. We do think the layout and style mean the hostel will always be noisy when it's full.

Summary

The hostel is very good value, charging about half the price of hostels in England, for example -- and here, a breakfast is included. The staff are always helpful and pleasant, but with reception out of sight on the ground floor, there isn't as much interaction as in some hostels. Check-out is by noon and check-in is advertised as 6 p.m., however, during our stay, the door was open mid-afternoon. Thus the afternoon is intended as a lockout period when all guests are required to leave the premises to allow cleaning (despite the daily swabbing, all floors have areas of ingrained grime). Would we stay there again? Sure -- we don't eat off the floor, so we can tolerate the poor cleaning.

by OldNomad
March 2011

How is Faro Hostel rated on other websites?
Faro Hostel Reviews from the Web
4   It was alright. Ok, I guess I'm a bit biased since I stayed at an AMAZING hostel in Lagos the night before for the same price. To be honest, this place reminded me of a summer camp or an old high school. I really am not a fan of places that just hand you your sheets and tell you to make your bed, but I guess that they wanted to cut down on costs. It was nice of them to provide breakfast in the morning, but really, even having a worker hand you your coffee and make sure you don't take more than two pieces of bread is rather stingy. Overall, I'd say that this hostel is decent, but not the best. And the staff wasn't particularly friendly to many girls in my room. Regardless, it's fine for the price and not a bad place, but don't expect to feel like you're at home here.  , USA ()
3   Good location The hostel is still open after midnight -- a possibility to sleep when you arrive late at the airport. I slept in a 6 bed room without windows and only on opening in the ceiling. Only one key per room. (very) average breakfast. well kept and not far from the sity center -- doesn't need any bus or taxi to be reached. Wonderful terrace to rest or have breakfast.  , France ()
3   A spacious hostel that has potential, but many negative sides The hostel is spacious and well-looked after, but there are certain negative sides, which would make me want to find another hostel if I visited Faro again. The kitchen is tiny! You can fit three people in there, if no one is moving. This is pretty ridiculous, since they have another spacious area with sinks, counters and a fridge, which is only meant for staff serving breakfast and thus it is being used 1.5 hours a day. There is one "computer," but the internet is not free (there is a building next door with free internet, open around 9 am-6 pm). The staff also didn't have the password for the computer, so no one could use it, and their printer was broken. The common room is locked at midnight and after that, there is no place to stay, unless you want to be in your room. There is a one-key policy in every room, even in big dorms. If someone has locked the door, you have to go around the hostel looking for the person who has the key. The bed linen smells strongly of bleach.  , Finland ()
3  Me and my girl enjoyed a lot our stay. We had a few problems, because of the noisy wood beds. Some stupid asshole called the cops. We went to the Police station, but the cops were kind to us. We will be back soon, and the next time, we'll use the floor!  ()
3  I got totally washed out in a storm at Sagres in May 2002 and went to Faro HI hostel to dry out before my flight home. It continued raining for the five days I was there but, surprisingly, I found Faro a great town. I confirm the comments about the staff, they are good. The only problem I had is that of smoking in the common areas (I have a serious lung problem). I hope to go back for a pre-Xmas trip this year (2006).  ()
4  A good choice for your stay in Faro. The beautiful old town is just ten minutes away, parking in front of the building, the staff is very friendly, it's easy to meet other people, common areas and bathrooms are well-equipped, modern and clean, but the wooden beds quite noisy. We were there midweek in September and the town was a bit too quiet in our views, but I suppose it's different on summer weekends.  ()