Dakota Hostel

Special Note from Hostelz.com: Dakota Hostel is no longer listed in any of the hostel booking systems. There is a good chance they may have closed down. If you have any information about it, please let us know with the Listing Update Form.

For alternative options in San Francisco, see the San Francisco Hostels list.

Dakota Hostel is a sister property of the Adelaide Hostel one block away. The staff at each hostel communicate with with each other and guests are free to use the facilities at both properties. Most of the game nights and parties are at the Adelaide, with the Dakota being more of a quiet and restful place. Additionally, most of the common areas are located at the sister hostel. The staff are very friendly and kind. There are dorm rooms but the majority of the rooms are singles, doubles, and triples ensuite like hotel rooms.

The location is excellent. The hostel is easy to find and they have an arrangement with a valet parking services to park cars for a per-day price. This is the best price for all-day parking in San Francisco. Within a block or two there are restaurants, theater, public transportation, and shops. The sister property is only a block away and it has laundry, free breakfast, internet, and a tours desk for guests of the Dakota to use.

The rooms and bathrooms are clean and tidy. The decor is very cheerful and bright. The general feel is very comfortable. There is no air conditioning but there are windows that open. The rooms have television. There is an elevator in the building. There is a dorm with limited personal space. All rooms have microwaves and little refrigerators and telephones. Luggage storage is available.

There are free computers in the lobby and a full tours desk. The staff is very nice and helpful with suggestions of things to see and do. Most of the common spaces are located in the sister property one block away. At that property there is a large kitchen, lounges, computer terminals, and laundry. Meals are offered for a very reasonable price in the evening. There are young international travelers to socialize with. The property is non-smoking. There is plenty of seating and places to just hang out.

Summary

The Dakota hostel is a nice place and is especially nice for couples or families traveling together. The staff are friendly and helpful and the location is great. Since it has a sister property only one block away with full backpacker amenities it is easy to travel between the two properties for use of the tours desk, airport shuttle service, and meals. Breakfast is free and evening meals at bargain prices are available. It is efficient, well run, and very clean. By using the common space in the sister hostel, the Adelaide, it is easy to meet people and plan excursions.

by S. Topf
January 2009

How is Dakota Hostel rated on other websites?
4   Could Not Ask for More I booked my stay through the Adelaide Hostel but through reviews I realized that all (or most?) private rooms are at another hotel nearby called Dakota Hostel. We checked in at Adelaide and walked around the corner to Dakota. I loved the lift (no elevators), the tight stairs, the detached tub, the free breakfast. The hotel is in an older building so there's no A/C. Crack the window or use the ceiling. There was a fridge in our room meant for 3 people (1 double and 1 single). The sheets could use some updating but overall the hostel was pretty clean and convenient. I never felt unsafe although security could be tighter (anyone can just walk in). I loved that there was even a TV in a room. Great experience, great location and good value for price.  , age 25, United States ()
4   A nice building and a good first night in San Fran My friend and I walked to the hostel from the BART station a few blocks away. When we entered we were greeted by a friendly receptionist and she checked us in and told us about the events. We went up to our room (via a really neat old fashioned elevator) and looked around. The beds were fairly comfortable, the room was small but unexpectedly so, and the bathroom was yellow and old fashioned. We had a microwave, mini fridge, four bunk beds (all with girls), and even a television (we never tried it, so I'm not entirely sure it worked). The bathroom wasn't anything special and I had a lot of trouble getting the water to stay at a comfortable temperature, but other than that no complaints there. The view was beautiful! We climbed out of our window onto the fire escape and just sat outside for a while. When we left our room to explore later, the receptionist offered directions and maps for our convenience. The breakfast the next morning was greatly appreciated and we enjoyed it in the comfort of their newly renovated kitchen. I would definitely stay again!  , USA ()
4   Quiet, and kick back, clean rooms I was staying at the sister property but they had a huge influx of travelers and I wanted to extend, so I was sent here. First and foremost, it is a hotel setting, the 6 room dorm is excellent, clean, and great bunk beds, and storage for backpacks. Not much but 2 computers here, but everything is about a 30 second walk across the street to the sister hostel, but at the Dakota it is quiet and kick back. The sister property has several computers, wi-fi, kitchen, and storage for your food, luggage storage (which is great), and the lounge there is excellent as well. So, I can honestly say, relax at the Dakota then jump over to the sister property if you want a different vibe.  , Russia ()