Hanmer Backpackers

How is Hanmer Backpackers rated on other websites?
4   Friendly and clean We spent only 1 night in this hostel in a double room with shared WC, i found this hostel very friendly and comfortable, there is a small living room where u can borrow some books, the kitchen is pretty nice and they give free ice cream. Parking place available if you come to Hanmer by car.  ()
5   Amazing hostel One of the best hostels in New Zealand. It's clean, in a great location, Edwin is very nice and Peppers (the cat) is also quite cool. Apart from it being the coolest hostel, it is also the cheapest. Even the deals for singles are really good (paid $55 for a double room with single occupancy). And WIFI is really cheap as well (500 MB for $5). And to top it all off, all kinds of ice cream are included in the room price. Fruits are included, too, but you just can't beat free ice cream. Overall, if you go to Hanmer stay here!  , Germany ()
5   One of the very best This is possibly one of the friendliest and comfortable hostels I have stayed in -- a real home away from home. The owner was very friendly and helpful and I'm only sorry I didn't stay longer. We stayed in a dorm on first floor, which was spacious and comfortable. The kitchen is well equipped and the log burner great on a cold evening! If you can make it here this place is definitely worth a visit.  , UK ()
5  Stayed here April '07. (New owner had just taken over.) a small very friendly hostel (approximately fifteen beds) -- good kitchen, good rooms, and bathrooms. Hanmer is a small town so easy access to the hot springs and walking tracks from the hostel. very relaxed, chilled out atmosphere, find difficult to fault (unless you're looking for a party hostel). really enjoyed my time here, highly recommend.  , England ()
1  This hostel is the most unfriendliest I've ever stayed in. I was unhappy about sharing a dorm with three men, so cut short my stay. Stating in their advertising maximum stay unlimited is false. The two females running this hostel (the owner was away) told me as soon as I had finished breakfast I had to leave the hostel and I could not stay that night, even though I had already paid, because "you snored and the other people in the dorm complained." I had an appointment at 10 a.m. and had to go they wanted to know how long I would be because they "had to change the sheets on my bed." On telling them the treatment would be around three hours they were not at all happy. As it happened the pools were closed due to pump malfunction. Being so upset went to the Visitor Center to ask advise, they were unable to contact owner and booked me into another hostel. They then contacted Hanmer Backbackers who had booked me, without my knowledge, into another hostel, and were told to cancel it. On returning to Backpackers they had already stripped my bed and moved my belongings. Yes they did refund the money owing to me but they were very rude and I was on crutches and walked with difficulty. I would advise staying here as a last resort.
Response from the accommodation: I hope that I am able to post this reply to the negative and inaccurate review posted here. I was the (absent) owner when the situation occurred but the hostel has since been sold and has a new owner. Firstly, as this is a small 18-bed hostel the 5-share dorms are mixed. The writer would have been told this if she had enquired about female-only dorms so it is unreasonable to complain about sharing with males afterwards. She was in a dorm with 4 others and the next morning they ALL said they had got no sleep because of her very loud snoring and would leave if she stayed. The managers did the right thing and put the interests of the 4 guests who had been kept awake all night ahead of the person who was ultimately the cause of a difficult situation for all. It is also unreasonable for her to complain about being asked to check out of her room before starting a 3-hour appointment at 10am. Checkout is 10am, not 1pm. I think that if you are a chronic snorer you owe it to your fellow backpackers to make appropriate arrangements, such as taking a single room rather than a dorm. Many comments in our guest book mention the friendliness experienced here and I hope people will see that review for the sour grapes that it is.  ()
Hanmer Backpackers Reviews from the Web