International Student Center New York

How is International Student Center New York rated on other websites?
International Student Center New York Reviews from the Web
4   Best Hostel in NYC I really enjoyed my stay at ISC! The location is great -- it is central in a quieter part of New York and conveniently located near the subway, pharmacy, several shops for food (from the Dag's two blocks away to the Whole Foods ten minutes uptown, or the 7-eleven at the corner). The common room downstairs is super cozy and comfortable (loads of cushy couches!), including a large TV, board games and books. The kitchen is clean and well equipped with three fridges (two for guests). I stayed in the female dorm on the 4th floor and thought it was clean and comfy. The bathroom(s) and shower were also clean and stocked with the basic necessary things (soap, toilet paper, hand towel). You can rent a locker downstairs (with a 5$ deposit) but you can't bring your luggage to your room (which is actually quite a good idea since it prevents you being woken up by people packing/unpacking/searching noisily for things at odd hours even if the reason is it's a fire hazard). The only Cons (which are very minor and livable) are No free Wifi (but there are coffee shops nearby and not having the internet is rather nice, permitting one to have a mini holiday away from the internet and instead one gets to talk to people -- real people face to face vs screen to screen). I was lucky to have a bottom bunk, but the top bunks don't have step ladders, which can prove inconvenient. Check-in ends at 11pm -- my bus was late and I had to rush on a cab to make it (at 10:58!), so make sure your arrival is scheduled for the afternoon if possible to avoid any extra stress and waste of money! It was kind of cold in our rooms -- you can ask for an extra blanket or sleep with a sweater and scarf like I did.  , age 22, Canada ()
4   Old house, nice location Pretty good location close to 86th street subway station at Central Park. Cheap cafes and restaurants nearby, Metropolitan and Natural History Museum around the corner. Nice staff providing a few nice services -- no curfew + key to front door, full kitchen + big dining table and two big fridges for guests, huge common room in basement with TV, couches and armchairs, coffee tables and a few boardgames, you can leave the luggage in at the reception even after checkout for a small fee. Rooms are spacious. 1 bathroom / 10 people, got crowded in the morning. No wifi, no extra blankets, luggage should be left at reception. Old floors, stair and electric outlets.  , from Boston ()
2  I stayed here a couple of times and although it may be one of the cheapest hostels in NY it was considerably more expensive than it's advertisement states, this seems to be a common trait with a lot of hostels. There are no lockers so you are expected to leave your backpack/suitcase down stairs in the reception office. Having to repeatedly cart your case back and forth to select clothes to wear was a pain in the arse .I also remember the bathrooms being putrid and a surly old man living behind a curtain down in the basement. He was unnecessarily rude.Despite these points, it is in a fairly nice neighbourhood and practically within a stones throw of Central Park. Although not always true, in this particular case, you get what you pay for.  , Australia ()
5  I stayed here quite a long time ago (July '95). Very good souvenir. A great place to meet people (from Germany, France, NZ, Australia, Great-Britain). Excellent atmosphere. A bit dusty. Two dorms (guys and girls) with metallic beds with a bathroom for each one. Hardly $12 at the time. No possibility to make a reservation. No need YH card.  ()
5  I recently stayed at the International Student Center and it was great. The facility was quite clean, the staff were very friendly, and the neighborhood is phenominal. It is only a subway ride a few stops to downtown. It has a great common room area in the downstairs area with heaps of couches, a huge television, full kitchen, a nice garden out back too. We had so much fun on our trip here, and met so many great people. We stayed at other hostels and this one by far was the best. It's clean, warm, and very cozy. We will definitely re-visit this hostel!  ()
1  This place actually put me off staying at hostels for a while. I stayed here in April 2004. The showers were so filthy I felt like I needed a shower after my shower. It was so full of hair it clogged the pipes and I was up to my shins in disgusting water. The staff were unfriendly. You had to keep your bags locked in reception in a massive pile and you had no access to them while the office was closed. Stay somewhere else.  ()
3  I stayed there last summer, and by no means was it the worst place I've ever stayed. They accommodated me at the last minute and had sufficient socializing and cooking spaces. My complaints? The old building left it pretty hot in there; possibly I was more uncomfortable as the only female in a room of 12 men. But was this place horrible? No.  ()
1  I couldn't sleep at all at this place. This creepy guy kept coming into my room and asking me if I wanted to go with him to the basement. The kids next door smoked crack all night and some shady guy on the staff stole my shoes and socks. I was left barefoot walking around Manhattan for six days. I hated it.  ()