Lion's Den

The Lion's Den hostel is a very small hostel run by a very friendly owner who treats everyone like family. This hostel has a personable environment. When you first arrive, you see brightly colored walls and unique sculptures. You feel right at home in this hostel which has themed bedrooms, a courtyard, living room, kitchen, and bathrooms.

Everyone at the Lion's Den is relaxed and happy. You can spend your time swinging in the hammock over the small stream or if the weather is poor you can simply enjoy the cozy common room. The owner may even make the guests a special meal during their stay.

Lion's Den is conveniently located within walking distance of central Coromandel town. It is at the edge of the town on the way to the Driving Creek Railway. The owner is quick to offer up suggestions of what to do in the area and will do anything she can to make her guests feel at home.

This hostel is also very clean. It is kept up nicely and has all the amenities one might need for any length of stay, including a fully equipped kitchen and laundry (available for a small price). The hostel is very reasonably priced and provides relative privacy. Even the dorm rooms only have five beds in them. There are also tent sites available for those who choose to sleep outside.
by Alyssa Thiel
March 2006

(Location is approximate. You may need to pan/move to find "Lion's Den" at 126 Te Tiki Street.)

126 Te Tiki Street, Coromandel Town, Coromandel, New Zealand
-36.754765, 175.500196
(07) 866 8157 or (07) 866 8996

How is Lion's Den rated on other websites?

I spent the afternoon at the Lions Den yesterday with my family and it is such a neat place. Lovely and tidy. Friendly hard case (funny) hosts. Can't wait to come back again.
Shiree M
  We had a great stay here. Linda was very welcoming and the accommodation has heaps of character and a relaxed feel.
Cheryl and steve
  The best hostel I've ever been! Friendly people, nice and clean place. Absolutely fantastic! The lady took really good care of me when I was ill and she baked muffins for the backpackers, just for the fun of it!
  cool place to be. and would I recommend this place to my friends if they would ever decide to drop by anywhere near this place.
  THE best hostel I have ever stayed anywhere! The owner is awesome — she's QUITE a character. I spent hours swinging in the hammock and napping outside. The hostel owner drove my friend and I up to this place where we did a couple hikes, saw an incredible waterfall that we swam under, and went to this waterworks place. So fun!
  I had an awesome stay at this small, clean hostel that is full of character. The hostel is split across two areas — an old villa, where the toilets, showers, kitchen, lounge, twin and double, and one (?) bunkroom are located. There is also another, newer, bunkroom in a second building. There are interesting, whimsical ornaments and artwork made from driftwood, etc. everywhere. We were in a double room in the villa. The room was nice, the bed comfy and made up with reasonable linen. The cozy wood burner in the lounge was good, as the weather was awful. The owner was really friendly and cooked mussel chowder for everyone that evening. Another friend stayed here, and the owner got up and made pancakes for everyone for breakfast!
Sarah of Auckland