Rising Cock Party Hostel

Rising Cock Youth Hostel is a really great place to stay -- as long as you can get the room you asked for. The owners of this hostel are really nice and wonderful people, which means they let people stay for more nights than they originally planned (and since the hostel is really great, many people want to stay longer). The problem with this is that they don´t take into account overbooking, which means you might not get the room you asked for, or you might be sleeping on a couch or the floor with a pad, or if you are lucky you will get an even better room (like a private apartment) for the original price. Either way it goes, they will do their best to accommodate you but it could take a while and be somewhat frustrating.

However, the wonderful free breakfast of crepes served until around noon, with homemade lemon tea, usually makes the tired backpacker forget about the night before. In addition to this, the hostel has a huge common room with a big screen TV that has just about every movie you could think of, in addition to three computers with free internet access; fun games like Operation and Uno; an out-of-tune guitar; and some of the best fun, relaxed, ready-to-party travelers around.

There are three or four bars within about a two-minute stumble from the hostel, there is a grocery store right next door, and the staff will quickly point you to the nearest extremely cheap burger bar or sandwich shop. You can cook and most likely share food in the kitchen. If you are short on clothes, they sell Rising Cock t-shirts and shorts with the slogan "A cock in hand is worth two in the bush" or "It is our business doing pleasure with you" (this can give you an idea of the mentality of the place). Of course a quick walk of five to ten minutes brings you to some of the most beautiful beaches around. Minus the first few hours, the hostel is amazing.

To get there from the bus station, you walk down the main road with the ocean on your left. Turn right after a parking lot and a before a church and before you start walking uphill. Close to the church you will see a pharmacy -- take that road (though it's not a car road) up the hill until it actually becomes a road for cars. You will then turn left, then immediately right and it is around the second door on the right (right after the grocery store). If you get lost, any time of day you are likely to find someone in a Rising Cock t-shirt nearby that can point you in the right direction (literally, we ran into five before we ever made it to the hostel).

April 2007

How is Rising Cock Party Hostel rated on other websites?
Gomio
Rising Cock Party Hostel Reviews from the Web
5   Best place ever I stayed here some weeks ago with friends and really had a great time! mama and papa (the owners) are absolutely great, the always help you -- and the crepes for breakfast are too good to be true. we were lucky girls who stayed in a private apartment with own balcony -- but also the "normal" rooms in the main building are nice, clean, and the hostel is very nice decorated. very colourful, flags and poster everywhere. we had so much fun with all the other backpackers -- lots of australians, canadians, and americans. so if you really like to meet people and party together the Rising Cock is the right place! Have fun!  , Switzerland ()
1  honestly, this is a great place to meet people your age and party, but the staff is incompetent, unhelpful and just, plain doesn't give a sh*t. I stayed at an apartment owned by the hostel (since all of the rooms were full). The apartment's stove was shredded, there was garbage everywhere, and one of my friends got bit by bed bugs. Bed bugs! How did the staff respond? By removing the mattress and having her sleep on another bed. No refund. No compensation. Also, we couldn't open the front door to our apartment because the lock was broken. The staff responded by telling us that we probably had the wrong door and that we (all eight of us) could sleep on the couch. The owner's son temporarily "fixed" the door, but hours later, we still couldn't open it. We were forced to leave the door partially open since the Rising Cock, which we were paying to stay in, refused to accomodate us. Sure enough, some thieves came in while we were out and stole a bunch of our stuff. The hostel was surprisingly uncooperative. Don't let this happen to you.  ()
5  Best hostel in the world!! I went for a few days and stayed for a few months. I worked at the Cock, and yeah it did get shut down for a while, but that's all water under the bridge... Best possible time!!  ()
1  F. this place. I never got to stay here cause these guys are morons. I reserved a room a few weeks in advance, but they failed to tell me that they would be closed for reservations. I showed up and of course no one was there. I went across the street and got a place no problem for WAY cheaper than the Cock. Lagos is a party town. You don't need the Cock to have a good time.  ()
5  I had the time of my life at this hostel and I'm sure that Na did too. All we ever talk about now is when we can get back to lagos and the Cock! Thanks Sel and Mario for a great time!  ()
5  This is the place for party!!!! Party Hostel!!! WITH SHOWERS!!! WARM!!! Five dollars at the beer garden for the whole night. Friendly staff, and a great place to meet cool people. So come here to get as drunk as you can. I came for four nights, and stayed indefinitely. This place is a shout-out to Canadians. "Rising Cock, Party Hostel."  ()
5  Honestly, this was one of the best hostel experiences I've had! The guys who run this place rock! Amazing service!! Lagos was so much fun. It's a huge party scene — beautiful people and bountiful booze. I'm going back again before to this hostel before I head back to the States, and the Rising Cock is definitely part of the reason I'm headed back there. This place is amazing!! Ps. Buy a Rising Cock T-shirt; they rock.  ()