Hostel Turku

Hostel Turku is a very nice, clean, and friendly hostel located in Turku in Finland. We very much enjoyed our stay and the staff are very friendly and accommodating. We arrived by ferry at 7:30 a.m. and they happily allowed us to check in early to shower and catch up on sleep and as we left late the next night were able to use the facilities all of that day as well. Being along the river, it is in the nicer region of town and within easy walking distance to most major attractions.

Hostel Turku is very easy to find, located on the road that runs along the river (by far the nicest area of Turku), it is easy to walk from the ferry and train terminals (about a twenty-minute walk along the river). It is reasonably central with a ten-minute walk to the centre of town. There is parking available for anyone with vehicles. The best part is that it is along the river -- the paths make for great walking.

The dorm rooms are standard dorms with six beds (three bunk beds) with male and female areas. The doors are lockable and access is by key card but there are no in-room lockers. Private rooms are available to stay in. All rooms are well maintained and clean.

The toilets and showers are separate, where the showers require a key card entry. Both the toilet and shower facilities are extremely clean and well maintained. The showers have room to change but few hooks to hang clothes and towels -- none inside the shower cubicles. There are shelves to place soap and the like.

There are a few common spaces available -- the TV room that doubles as the reception where there are a few armchairs to sit, and a dining area with tables and chairs to sit and play cards. The best is the kitchen, which has a few tables and benches to sit, eat, and socialise. There are a lot of large, lockable lockers in the kitchen that are free (you just need your own padlock). The self-catering kitchen is excellent, with lots of space and even some condiments supplied (thanks to previous travelers). There is an internet cafe but it requires payment and is not very cheap.

This is a strange hotel when it came to socialising -- there were a few backpackers that were very social with whom we became friends but also quite a few family and older people who left you alone and wanted to be left alone, but in all this is a quiet hostel. One older lady who has apparently been there a while is rather creepy as she just sits and stares at you.

Summary

This is a nice, clean, and generally friendly hostel where the staff does their best to make sure you enjoy your stay. We would definitely recommend it if you are in Turku. It's close to the centre of town where the local market allows for cheap food that can be cooked in the self-catering kitchen and along the river, which is by far the highlight of Turku.

April 2009
How is Hostel Turku rated on other websites?
Hostel Turku Reviews from the Web
3   Room was comfortable but kitchen/lounge was not. Strict staff ! I travelled to Finland from Sweden in summer 2005 via Vikingline Cruise ships. I arrived in Finland at about 7 am. It took a few minutes on bus to go to Hostel Turku from port. There I was told I cannot check-in until about 1 or 3 pm ! I had to nap on the lounge couch until the official "check-in" time. I had to buy a lock to put my stuff in the lockers (in Kitchen). Kitchen was badly equipped and you couldn't find two cups or dishes that looked alike ! It was relatively clean. My room was a six bedded room. It was very cheap at the time (14 Euro) and I think I paid a bit more for sheets (maybe 2 or 3 Euros). It was clean and had a small fridge. At night at they would lock the outside doors at 1 am and if you are outside in a nightclub or bar, you better stay there until morning !! At the time there was no internet-enabled computers there. Showers were clean and you could rent a bike cheap. I highly recommend biking towards south west Turku on a sunny day. Turku looks absolutely stunning and it was a great experience. On last day, you have to remember to get out before 10 am, otherwise you have to pay for another full day ! The place felt more like an army camp rather than a hostel. Would I recommend you to go there ? Yes, but don't expect much, especially in staff friendliness. The area is good and near town.  , Iranian ()
4  I stayed here in 2004. It was clean, convenient, and pleasant. I had the four-person dorm room to myself, too -- the best bargain in town! The common areas made conversing easy, and I ended up meeting several fellow travelers in their spacious kitchen. I'd definitely stay here again the next time I'm in Turku!  ()