Hostel Lungile Lodge Backpackers

The Lungile Lodge Beachfront Backpackers Hostel is in a safe residential neighbourhood, about a five minute walk down to the beach. It is near the Boardwalk which is touristy and safe, but quite far out from the main town. At the Boardwalk is a cinema, casino, cafes, American Exchange, Chinese restaurant, and amusement games. Walking further along the beachfront is a mall which has a supermarket, beautician, photo centre and gift shops. There is a small drive for parking cars behind a locked gate, and is a Baz Bus stop.

There are several room types. There is a large dorm behind the lounge and TV room which can be quite noisy. There are also smaller dorms with two very comfortable bunks and which are clean with polished wooden floors, some having an ensuite. There is also the option of private rooms. The main bathroom facilities consist of one good sized bathroom which has a bath, shower, WC and sink. There is also a WC on its own, and next to this is a shower room with sink with limited hooks.

Immediately behind the front door is an open plan lounge with leather sofas, open fire and book exchange. To the side in the corner is the small reception area with a computer for guest internet access. At the back of the lounge is a pool table and small bar with a flat screen TV. Next to this is a very large modern fitted kitchen with all amenities. There is another lounge off here with sofas and TV, next to which is the large dorm. At the other side of the kitchen is a utility area with the kettle and tea and coffee facilities, and access to the outside. There is an outdoor patio with tables and chairs, a swimming pool, and a higher grassy area for lounging.

This is a fairly luxurious hostel with a relaxed atmosphere. The bar area is small so is more for a quiet drink than for those who like to party, especially as it is in the lounge area. It does lack a travel centre and it could be more sociable, but overall is a very nice base for staying in Port Elizabeth.

September 2007

How is Hostel Lungile Lodge Backpackers rated on other websites?
Hostel Lungile Lodge Backpackers Reviews from the Web
3  Very clean and well equipped hostel, however while most staff were fairly helpful, the 'Manageress' was decidedly unhelpful at times, bordering on the point of utter rudeness. Several other travelers I spoke to experienced the same. A good place for an overnight stop, and ideally located for bars, clubs.  ()
4  I was there over Dec 2005 and spent ten wonderful days at Lungile. I found it very comfortable and homely and situated very conveniently to all amenities on the beach front especially. The staff was friendly and helpful. I am going back for the easter week-end !!!  ()
5  Hi! I was there in March 2005. A wonderful place to relax or to have a party! :-) A special thank-you to Nele.  ()
5  A nice quiet relaxing getaway, everyone was in bed by 11 p.m. However, it's a only a short walk to a good selection of bars, clubs, restaurants and a movie house if you want to stay up late. Very clean and comfortable with a nice view of the city and sea from on top of the hill.  ()
5  I really enjoyed myself here. I usually like hostels that are a bit more rustic, but I have to say that I had a nice time lounging by the pool. :)  ()
5  We stayed in a few hostels around Port Elizabeth, and Lungile was by far the best. What a laugh a minute! We will be coming back!!!  ()
5  I only planned to stay for a couple of nights, but because we were having so much fun, we decided to stay on for another couple of nights...then another couple! Great staff, great place, and if you're in Port Elizabeth this is definitely the place to come. But you might find it hard to leave!!  ()
1  Firstly, when I arrived off the Bazbus at 11pm after a long journey from Cape Town, they had not booked me in, a booking which I made personaly the day before. I was then told to get back on the bus and find somewhere else. Not a sorry or let me phone around and find you a bed. Just ignored. I ended up going to another hostel and I am so pleased this happened because I have heard since from numerous people about the poor standard and the un-friendliness of the staff at Lungile.  ()