Hostel Lungile Lodge Backpackers

Hostel Lungile Lodge Backpackers provides a fun and comfortable stay for travelers just stopping by and for adventurers alike. Set up in what seems like a large house, the hostel is light and spacious, has good facilities, and provides amenities like towels, adapters, wireless internet, and a kitchen. The staff are very cool guys who are friendly and helpful. They can help arrange day trips and activities around Port Elizabeth, including Addo National Elephant Park game drives, hiking, water sports, and a city tour. The hostel is highly recommended by South African tour guides as well.

Lungile is a few minutes walk away from the beach and also close to a wide variety of restaurants and shops, including the Waterfront outdoor mall complex. Nightlife is also within walking distance. The airport is a short, ten-minute cab drive away. The hostel is next to other hotels and residences, so the area is relatively safe. There is a coded gate for the property (gate closed at night) for extra security.

Rooms and bathrooms are cleaned everyday, and bathrooms have reliable plumbing and hot water. Dorms have comfortable bunk beds and are quite spacious, though outlets are scarce. Walls in the house seem thin, so it can be loud at night (especially if a large group is staying, which happens sometimes) and cold in the winter. Rooms have free storage lockers.

Lungile has a casual, friendly vibe. It has great common spaces that are functional and also provide opportunities for socializing, or just hanging out. The kitchen has plenty of space for guests' food (breakfast is not provided). The main lobby/hang out area is airy and has large comfy couches, a fireplace (especially nice during the winter), board games, books and magazines, a TV, a stocked bar, computers for guests to use, and more table space. The hostel also boasts a large lawn and pool for guests to enjoy during the summer. If you want, you will definitely meet and have fun with other travelers, whether it's in the common spaces or during group excursions.

Summary

Lungile is an overall great pick for Port Elizabeth, especially for its price! The hostel is clean, comfortable, and fun. The staff also definitely enhance the quality of the stay.

by Lisa
July 2014
How is Hostel Lungile Lodge Backpackers rated on other websites?
Hostel Lungile Lodge Backpackers Reviews from the Web
3  Very clean and well equipped hostel, however while most staff were fairly helpful, the 'Manageress' was decidedly unhelpful at times, bordering on the point of utter rudeness. Several other travelers I spoke to experienced the same. A good place for an overnight stop, and ideally located for bars, clubs.  ()
4  I was there over Dec 2005 and spent ten wonderful days at Lungile. I found it very comfortable and homely and situated very conveniently to all amenities on the beach front especially. The staff was friendly and helpful. I am going back for the easter week-end !!!  ()
5  Hi! I was there in March 2005. A wonderful place to relax or to have a party! :-) A special thank-you to Nele.  ()
5  A nice quiet relaxing getaway, everyone was in bed by 11 p.m. However, it's a only a short walk to a good selection of bars, clubs, restaurants and a movie house if you want to stay up late. Very clean and comfortable with a nice view of the city and sea from on top of the hill.  ()
5  I really enjoyed myself here. I usually like hostels that are a bit more rustic, but I have to say that I had a nice time lounging by the pool. :)  ()
5  We stayed in a few hostels around Port Elizabeth, and Lungile was by far the best. What a laugh a minute! We will be coming back!!!  ()
5  I only planned to stay for a couple of nights, but because we were having so much fun, we decided to stay on for another couple of nights...then another couple! Great staff, great place, and if you're in Port Elizabeth this is definitely the place to come. But you might find it hard to leave!!  ()
1  Firstly, when I arrived off the Bazbus at 11pm after a long journey from Cape Town, they had not booked me in, a booking which I made personaly the day before. I was then told to get back on the bus and find somewhere else. Not a sorry or let me phone around and find you a bed. Just ignored. I ended up going to another hostel and I am so pleased this happened because I have heard since from numerous people about the poor standard and the un-friendliness of the staff at Lungile.  ()