Alice Lodge Backpackers

None of the hostels in Alice Springs are anything to write home about, and that goes for Alice Lodge Backpackers as well. The majority of people who stay here use it as a base for trips to the Red Centre, but even still, Alice Lodge offers a comfortable stay. But don't be surprised if you are "upgraded" to a motel close by (this actually is an upgrade, as the motel is very nice, and offers you private rooms).

The location is not too bad, around a fifteen-minute walk from the centre of Alice Springs. We stayed here as it is the associated hostel with Emu Run Tours for the trips to the Red Centre (the trip is very good, by the way!). The first night upon check-in, we were moved to a different motel, which is very nice!

The bedrooms are basic, but to a clean standard, and all come with lockers (provide your own lock). In the winter, the room is very warm, which is an added bonus. The bathrooms are a bit on the dark side, but there is always one available. The rooms come with free Wi-Fi, but it is done on a ticket basis, so make sure you don't lose yours, as they are not overly keen to provide you a replacement, and it also makes it difficult if you have more than one device with which you would like to get online.

The kitchen is on the small size, and quite messy, but a free breakfast is available to all, starting from 5 a.m. (this is handy for those going on the tours). Breakfast consists of cereal and toast, although there are signs everywhere threatening not to take more than two slices, and a photo wall of shame of people who have been greedy. Some may find this funny, while some may find it a little annoying.

There is a comfortable living room area with a DVD collection and books that are free to use, and a swimming pool out the back. The swimming pool is dirty and could do with a clean; however, in the winter time we would not recommend a swim unless you fancy hypothermia! The garden area is quite large, and has designated smoking areas away from the table areas. The hostel is quiet in the winter time, but those that are there are generally friendly and welcoming.

Summary

A standard hostel for Australia, the hostel often does deals when booking a tour, so check ahead, and they allow you to leave your big bags in a lock up whilst you go on your trips. The gate to the hostel has a code, so make sure you remember it, as the reception closes usually around 9 p.m. The hostel also offers a bus to the Ghan Train, which although not too far away, comes in quite useful.

September 2012

How is Alice Lodge Backpackers rated on other websites?
Alice Lodge Backpackers Reviews from the Web
1   Rude staff, poor customer service I stayed at this place for two nights and then decided to stay a third. I wad told I had to switch rooms which was fine. I cleared my stuff and left it in their storage room while I went out. I did however forget to take my food out of the fridge. When I got back the food had disappeared which wasn't a big deal. But when I asked the guy at reception he said "that's your tough sh*t". The I went to ask the cleaner and the guy at reception told the cleaner to tell me to piss off. That was my breaking point when I got mad at him for being so rude. He then continued to be a smart ass and in the end I decided to leave to another hostel. Furthermore, when I asked for a tax invoice he refused to give me one. Never staying there again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone at all!!!  , Australian ()
5   Spend your Alice Spring days here! Excellent staff here. Brendan and PJ were very friendly and helpful. And Brendans dog is awesome. I miss him! These people know how to run a backpackers place. The rooms were very clean, bathroom and toilets as well. The hostel is not that big, and that makes it a nice and cosy place to stay. You'll have a relaxed time here in this hostel. Highly recommended!  , Belgium ()
1   Rude reception, awful customer service, not a good place to stay We, a group of three, stayed here in mid November, 2010, and had a very unhappy experience with the staff. One of the staffers had recommended us a Uluru tour, which, we believe, was organized by some companies associated with the hostel, but we chose to join a tour from another backpacker hostel instead. When we talked about the tour with the staff, he immediately became extremely rude, and yelled at us "sh*t!!!", "f***!!!!" and many other disrespectful comments. He printed out a review online about the tour we had booked, saying all the bad things you can ever imagine about the tour. He then told us to "go away". We decided to leave this place, and asked him for refund, but he started saying something like "I only care about you" blah blah blah. As customers, we do have the rights to choose which tour we want. We are extremely disappointed that we were treated so badly when we refused to go with them. It was truly the worst hostel we had ever stayed with.  , Hong Kong ()
4   Nice place to relax We stayed there in October 2009. Located at the other side of Todd River, there's a ten-minute walk to downtown. This hostel is a pretty small place but it is calm and relaxing. Staff is young and helpful. There's a free breakfast and free internet (but did not work when we were there). Our room was in a caravan -- imaginative! I feared I might be disturbed by noise or be chilling but not an issue in October. The room features a fridge and air conditioning/heat. Our journey there was nice.  , Europe ()
2   Nice place to chill but money grubbing owners Was here for the winter. Hostel beds were great, rooms spacious, and they have a fridge, though quite pricey. The hostel owners shown some dishonesty in the running of their hostel. I told them I was interested in signing for a tour and asked for more information, they asked for my credit details and processed a deposit without my prior consent. No biggie. I wanted to go on the tour anyway. But then i found out some guests were given free nights and a cheaper price when they signed for the same tour with them. And when i pointed out that discrepancy to them, i was given a slap-in-the-face response "It really depends on who the person is." What? If you're in alice to see the rocks and not staying for long, you would probably be better off staying at some other hostel than with one only eager to milk more money from their guests. See if you can spot the owners checking the pay phone for spare dimes if you do decide to stay. unbelievable.  , Singapore ()
5   Excellent! I stayed here for two nights in December 2008 and had a fantastic time! The facilities are excellent and well-maintained, the dorms all have ceiling fans that keep you cool, and the communal TV and internet room is cosy and a really sociable place to be, and the swimming pool offers welcome relief from the heat. The internet operates on an "honestly policy" for payment and works really well, and there is a free luggage store for when you go on your tours of Uluru. It is an easy five-minute walk into town, and four-minute walk to the supermarket, however if you are going out at night make sure you walk in groups of four or more, or catch a taxi. Free airport pick-up and cheap airport drop-off make Alice Lodge an excellent budget option. Highly recommended.  , UK ()
5   Great place to stay A quiet, well-maintained hostel. Clean, free breakfast, free internet, friendly people. You do end up spending more to stay here since you have to take taxis back at night (it's not safe to walk around Alice at night) but I think it's worth it.  , USA ()
5   Homey, relaxing, friendly This hostel is really chilled out. manager is friendly and very helpful with info about tours and things to see and do in alice. Pool is refreshing and trust me with temps in Alice springs you need it. the hostel has big trees to relax under in the hammocks for reading. all in all nice, friendly relaxed place. oh and it has free breakfast and internet too.  , irish ()