Atlantis Hostel

The best part of Atlantis Hostel is probably the staff; everyone is extremely helpful and friendly. The atmosphere is really laid back and comfortable.

This hostel is pretty easy to get to by bus, and the locals are friendly enough that you can easily ask for directions. It's close to a few main squares and a grocery store, which is very helpful. However, it is located in a somewhat sketchy area. There are homeless people sleeping in the park just across the street, and at night there are lots of drunken men with wandering eyes and cheeky comments. Don't go anywhere alone, especially if you're a girl. It's within walking distance to the main square, which features awesome restaurants with cheap food and beer. There are also a few little underground shisha bars, which are awesome -- street performers galore!

The rooms are awesome -- the cleanest we've seen for a hostel -- featuring massive windows looking onto a huge lawn with lots of foliage. The wall art is pretty cool, too, and there's a huge cabinet for storage. There are really high ceilings as well. The only downside is that the bathrooms are shared, so you have to walk down the hall to brush your teeth/shower/go to the toilet. There are electrical outlets over only one of the beds.

In the breakfast room, they have free cereal, tea, and coffee, which is perfect for the weary traveler who hasn't had time to go to the store. This room connects to a common area with a whole bunch of colourful couches and tables, as well as a whole bunch of magazines to read if your room isn't ready yet. Even though there's no air conditioning, this room is very cool and easy to kick back and relax. This spot is not great to meet new people, as it's not a massive space, but it's awesome for taking a quick nap. There's also a locked luggage storage shed where you can leave your stuff if you have just checked out but you are not leaving the city just yet.

Summary

Atlantis Hostel is a pretty solid hostel. Everything has just been renovated, and you can totally tell because even though it retains its old-timey charm, it's very modern inside.

by Alyssa
September 2012

How is Atlantis Hostel rated on other websites?
Gomio
Atlantis Hostel Reviews from the Web
3   A good cheap place to stay. When you first walk up, you will be a little wary. The neighborhood and building looks scary but once you climb the steps and go into the actual hostel it isn't that bad. Staff was pretty nice. The common room is actually pretty nice. It is set up with one big room but separated into three separate "rooms". That was really nice because you could possibly have your own space. A couple of nice couches, tables and little round things to sit on. Really nicely decorated. Wi-fi was very good on my laptop but only in the common room. I couldn't get it to work on my I-phone. I think it had something to do with the double log in. For whatever reason, the 2nd screen wouldn't pop up. But no one else seemed to have a problem. Kitchen was the usual hostel kitchen though bigger than most. Free coffee, tea, milk. Breakfast was cereal and I believe toast as well. I don't recall there being any butter or jam. Off the kitchen is a little balcony that overlooks the street. The dorms were big with a table and chairs. The beds were not the most comfortable I have slept in but they weren't the worst either. The showers were nice and hot however, there were only three for the floor and I had to wait over a half hour at 9am. But if you take showers at night or after check out, it is fine. The only thing that I really didn't like is the way they store the bags for you. There is a shed out back. They just gave us the keys to go put our bags in and again to take them out. No one came out with us to see that we didn't mess with anyone else's bags. They also paid no attention to us as we walked out with our bags. They do have lockers in the rooms which is nice. Girls in our room were drinking heavily (vodka straight of course) and one puked all over the bathroom in the middle of the night. By the time I got up about 8am, it was all cleaned up. Kudos to the cleaning staff. Kitchen and common rooms were very clean. Dorms would have been as well except for the drunk girls. The location is close to the Jewish quarter. About half way in between old town and Jewish quarter. I would say about a 10-15 minute walk to old town. If you are coming from the bus station, get really good directions and have a map or a GPS if possible. The directions I got from google map were really missing some major details. The pedestrian tunnel goes under the train tracks so when you walk out of the bus station doors, you go right on Bosacka and then right on the first street -- Topolowa. You walk to the end of the pedestrian tunnel turning left right before you enter the shopping mall. After a very short time, you will see the plaza. (If you don't see it and keep walking, take a right when you come to the street which is named Lubicz street.) When you see the plaza, walk diagonally or left to get to the corner of Lubicz and Westerplatte. Going diagonally will safe you a few minutes walking. Take a left on Westerplatte and walk along side the park. Take a left on Starowislna. Take a right on Jozlefa Dietla. The hostel is a few blocks up. I think the walk takes almost a half hour. Bottom line, it is a nice place to stay. The security in the actual hostel was pretty good. Code to get into the common room/kitchen. Keys to get on your floor and into the rooms. They could use more showers and have a little bit more security with left luggage but other than that, I was happy to stay there.  , usa ()
5   Amazing!!! The hostel was a very nice place to stay. It's a kind of weird when you come in because you need to go through a small hall to arrive to the reception and the stairs are very old ... so, you "travel" to a different world in this hostel but I need to say: it was perfect! The rooms and the bathrooms were very clean, you feel comfortable all the time, everybody is very helpful. I called to my parents in Brazil and they didn't charge me because I used the phone for very few minutes (enough to say I was fine). They helped us to book tours to Auschwitz, to Wieliczka's salt mines and others. I don't speak polish and I had no problems to book tours because they helped me all the time. In town it's important to talk in polish, because just the youth understands english, but in the hostel you can relax and stop making mimicry. I truly recommend this hostel!!!  , Brazil ()
4   A nice place with great people I stayed there two nights with my friend Ian. We had a great time. Nicely renovated rooms. The staff rocks! Lovely girls. And three KASIAS! They lack common areas, but it is not a huge problem in Krakow -- as there is tons of pubs around.  , UK ()
4   All the things you need. This hostel is worth a recommendation. Its dorms are nice-looking, have lockers, and ok beds. The bathroom/showers are big, plenty, and clean. The receptionists are friendly and very helpful. Only disadvantage is that they don't have a common room, especially because the other guests are great. But they do have free internet (one computer though), cheap drinks, and tea and coffee in the hallway for nothing too! Ten minutes' walk to the city center, just next the very cosy jewish neighbourhood.  , Dutch ()
5   Great place, great bargain! This was an awesome place to stay! We arrived late-ish, and had a little trouble finding it at first, but had no problem checking in. They provide sheets and blankets, so you don't have to bring a sleeping bag. Their in-room luggage lockers were huge (big enough to sit in) and the room we were in was nice and spacious. The unisex showers/toilets were quite clean, but the toilet stalls had sort-of opaque little windows. You couldn't see much through the windows, but it was a little strange. The shower had a similar arrangement. When my (female) friend and I were showering, some fellow guests came in and yodelled at us. After that we enlisted our male friends for bathroom jaunts. We stayed two nights and both nights we had obnoxious people in the room next to ours making lots of noise around 4 a.m. But the beds were comfy and the toilets were clean, so we were a very happy lot of hostel-goers. The staff was very helpful, when we needed to get transport back to Katowice they lent their assistance in phoning a company since none of us spoke Polish. All the staff we met spoke English very well. This hostel is a great base of operations for seeing the best of Krakow!  , USA ()
5  I stayed there a couple of times now, even if you stay in a 12 people room, it is so spacious, that you don't feel that so many people share the room with you :O) This is a cheaper option. But if you want they also have different rooms, for 2, 3 or more beds. Nice! Renovated, clean and not very expensive, not far from the city center. One of the best that I stayed in during my numerous stays in Cracow. Highly reccomended! Have an enjoyable stay!  ()
5  Nice staff, and well situated between the Jewish quarter, Kazimierz, and a 10-minute walk to the city center of Krakow. It has very clean rooms, and it's quiet and budget-priced.  ()
5  I spent a great time here. I definitely would recommend it to other backpackers.  ()