Home Backpackers

Home Backpackers is just next to Sydney's Central Station (where the Indian Pacific Train arrives). It's a smaller backpacker hostel with basic facilities for normal to cheap prices.

The hostel is located in the south of Sydney's CBD but the public transport stations are about two minutes away and the free City Circle Bus stops a minute away. The next park is also just on the other side of the train rails and the next supermarket (Coles) and AUS post office is inside the World Square building -- five minutes on foot away. You have everything you need for living around but the sightseeing places of interest (like Harbor Bridge and Opera House) are twenty minutes on foot away, or five minutes on the public transport. In front of the building is a bigger and busy road thus it's never a hundred percent quiet in the rooms.

The rooms are a bit filthy and messy and there are not enough/badly located power points in the dorms. The mattress covers look filthy but the mattresses themselves are mostly comfortable and you get clean sheets on check-in. If you stay on the second floor you need to go down to the first floor to access the shared (male and female separated) bathrooms and toilets. There are not enough bathrooms if it's a busy time. The eight-bed dorm we stayed in had a sink and mirror en suite and two fans and big lockers.

The kitchen is small but well equipped and you don't need to pay a deposit to use the dishes. Free bread, coffee, tea, and sugar are provided, but there are no spreads for the breakfast. You have to pay to use the Wi-Fi, but there is a free, shared computer with internet next to the reception. There is also a dining table and a living room with TV, which is busy in the evenings and looks messy the morning after and the couches might contain some non-paying guests with hangovers from the last night.

Summary

This hostel is well located and offers all the basics you need for living, but when it gets busy we wouldn't recommend a stay here -- at least not for the high prices. But there are worse hostels and at least the mattresses and rooms are not too bad and the common areas get cleaned twice a day.

by Armundo
May 2013

8 bed DormLiving Areashared shower
Dining AreaKitchenThe Entrance
Rooftop Garden8 bed Dorm
How is Home Backpackers rated on other websites?
Home Backpackers Reviews from the Web
2   Not so good but so cheap! The kitchen is dirty and their idea of a breakfast seems like a joke. There is a lot of noise too. But the rooms and amenities are rather clean. The staff is ok, it's a good backpacker to meet people, and it's one of the cheapest in town!  , France ()
1  A complete sh*t hole. Kitchen filthy. Toilets dirty. Rooms dirty. I seriously doubt my room had ever been cleaned. No redeeming features whatsoever. Worst backpackers I have ever stayed in!  , NZ ()
4  Although a little run down, this place has great character and is the best place to meet new friends and have a good time.  ()
1  This place is disgusting, you have to wipe your feet on your way out. The kitchen was filthy, there was an overloaded dustbin next to the cooker. The dorms are small and dirty and the "free breakfast" comprised of a loaf of bread for the guests to fight over. Do not stay here.  ()
1  This was the worst hostel we have stayed in in six months. It was so dirty. Especially the kitchen and the fridge. Only stayed one night, thank goodness. The free breakfast consisted off a loaf of bread for the whole place.  ()
1  I was there just one hour. I arrived early on the morning at 6:10 from Melbourne and two guys from bus station told me about this hostel, they give me a flyer and I decided to go there. When I came there I was seen disaster. The kitchen is small and dirty -- on the floor a lot of cockroaches. When I came in my room, the room was so messy and smelled like dead animal. When I saw the toilet I decided to take my photo.  ()
5  Noahs has got to be one of the best backpackers i've stayed in in sydney. The staff were friendly and if it was a litle run down in places the atmosphere was fantastic. They advertise something to do almost every night and the friday night $2 barbecue was great. I'll tell you this for nothing, when i go back to sydney I'll be re-visiting Noahs..  ()
1  What a horrid excuse for a backpackers. There's free tea and coffee only on the odd occasion that the staff have replaced it, smokers inside, and a tiny, cramped kitchen that none of the guests could be bothered cleaning. Most of my food was stolen from the one overloaded and dirty (broken) fridge, and the toaster and kettle were broken. The only advantage was its price really, and frankly I would rather spend a few more dollars and stay somewhere nice, where guests are actually catered to.  ()