Sydney Backpackers

How is Sydney Backpackers rated on other websites?
Sydney Backpackers Reviews from the Web
1   Horrible The only good thing about this hostel was its location. The beds were the hardest I have ever been on in a hostel or otherwise (it felt more like camping on the ground), the pillows were a crunchy plastic material (very uncomfortable!), the sheets had multiple dried blood stains on them, the air conditioning didn't work, the bathrooms were filthy, and the hallways and bathrooms reeked. Oh, and the "free" wifi requires you to like them on Facebook before gaining access, and then doesn't work for most of the time. When I asked a staff person about it, she was dismissive and said it doesn't work so well when a lot of people are using it. It worked for a few minutes at a time at regular speeds and then slowed to a standstill for most of the time I was there. I finally just gave up trying to use it (and I was just trying to search for other places to stay/check my email/send short iMessages to family -- not high bandwidth activities). I was only there for two nights (as I had booked and paid for two nights in advance) but the whole time I was there I felt uncomfortable and dirty. DO NOT GO TO THIS HOSTEL! Spring for the extra $10 to stay at the hostel next to the Central station.  ()
2   Rundown dump in great location! Very tired and rundown with smelly (damp carpet and no ventilation) room on Level 4. No window and very poor aircon system. Rooftop balcony is a joke -- TV problems due to antennae being affected by works next door some months ago. Reception of limited help. Well patronised by students and travelers. However a very handy location.  , Australia ()
4   Nice Nice, clean, quiet place.  , france ()
4  I stayed here for 9 nights during Christmas 2004 and my experience of the place was mixed. Things didn't start well as the hostel managed to screw up our booking even before we had turned up and couldn't cater for the intended 16 nights that we had originally booked. We had to then find an alternative in Kings Cross for an extortionate amount of money. We were also put into a ten-bed dorm instead of one with eight, which should have been cheaper, but the manager was quite rude when we questioned it. However, the rest of the stay was very pleasant as the dorm was large and airy, the beds were comfortable and the linen was changed daily. We met some really cool people staying there and the location is absolutely perfect in the heart of the city. Disappointingly the management organised absolutely nothing to celebrate Christmas whilst other hostels in Sydney were packed with excitement and festive cheer. Overall, the hostel is excellent for a comfortable stay, the kitchen and other amenities are very good and there were other good features like free DVD hire from a nearby store. Look elsewhere for atmosphere but if you are looking for a relaxing time in a central location then it is just fine. My rating: 3.5 stars.  , United Kingdom ()
4  Great hostel. Beds and bathroom were generally clean and staff helpful. One of the main complaints I've heard from other guests was that there was little interaction between backpackers -- however I did not mind that. I won't hesitate recommending this place for its good location and value for money.  ()
4  This hostel is in a top location with easy access to a wide variety of sights, bars and 24-hour take-away eating establishments. The hostel has a good atmosphere with loads going on, plus the rooftop terrace is a great area to chill and have a drink. I stayed in an eight-bed dorm, which did get a bit messy at times. However, every room has satellite TV and a fridge.  ()
4  This place was very nice.  ()