ChillOut Classic Hostel & Cafe

This place is like it described, in the center of Istanbul, and very chilling environment. It is just a few steps off of Istiklal street, the main street of the city on the European side. By the way, the wild dogs on the street may freak you out, but leave them alone and they won't bug you.

But the place is smaller than you imagine, but it very high up and has a lot of stairs. So you may end up climbing up to a dorm room on the 5th floor after a night of drinking. But it's a very nice looking place, lots of history in the architecture.

Pros: Great location – heart of the city and nightlife. It's a 10 minute walk to Taksim Square (where any bus from the train station will drop you off), 20 minute walk across the bridge to Sultanahmet area (where all the main sites are), lots of backpackers. There is a bar downstairs, where the owner and his buddies play backgammon, and cozy common room to meet others. It also has free internet.

Cons: The tiniest washrooms and cold showers. But there's a washroom on every floor. The whole place is sort of dark and dingy.

But we had a great time here because it attracts backpackers.

by Funkyboodah
June 2008
How is ChillOut Classic Hostel & Cafe rated on other websites?
1   Bedbugs Bedbugs! don't go there.  , age 25, TR ()
4   Nice and Central The Hostel was good. Ok, Istanbul is not so cheap, especially if you're looking for a central Hostel. The rooms are really small but clean, also toilets and showers. During the time I stayed in the Hostel, there where clashes around Taksim an Istiklal street. So the stuff has been very helpful and committed. All in all, it's a very nice hostel.  , age 30, Swiss ()
1   The worst hostel I've ever been We arrived at the hostel from the outside looked like a brothel. Once inside it was much worse. The first impression of the room was poor: a mattress on the floor, dirty everywhere and without blankets. Had butts on the ground. I did not put even one foot in the bathroom. We left our bags and went out for dinner as we arrived late, and when we returned the surprise was even greater. As we are unpacking the suitcase a huge cockroach crawled out from under the mattress. We went to complain to the owner of the hostel, he was not surprised of the situation and responded by singing: "The cockroach, the cockroach can not walk," all I knew to say in Spanish. He offered to move us to another hostel that was in truth much better, the bathrooms were shared but the room was clean and the owner was very friendly.  , Spain ()
1   Crappy Hostel This is a crappy Hostel. Tiny conjusted rooms, hard mattresses with metal springs -- still got back pain. The receptionist is rude like hell. No breakfast, dirty rooms, & only 2 tiny dirty bathrooms in whole building. The guy refused to gimme a blanket.  , Germany ()
5   Stay there to meet people and enjoy istanbul this place has character! is cosy and homelike! go there and believe the five stars!  , netherland ()
5  why not rate five stars? the location is perfect. the staff is really helpful. the staff is really cool and does everything to let you feel like at home. Ok, the toilets are small, the shower and bathroom is really like a closet, but the staff told me that the building is from 1900 and that they have no chance to change that. For that, my opinion as a girl, it was clean. And it was kept clean. I was staying in the chillout for three weeks, met lots of people, and had the chance to live with real turkish people. I'll miss it and I will come again.  , germany ()
1  i put one star just to try and bring the average down. really i would give this place three stars. seriously, its not as great as the comments below make it sound. just a stock standard average hostel. Convenient location from Taksim Sq though. No Free Internet, breakfast is only from 9 to 10 a.m. Dorms are tiny (we could barely even move in ours). Shower is basically a closet. No Kitchen. and reception / lounge is always smokey. Chillout? i would rather just get out.  ()
5  It's the best hostel I have ever been!  ()
ChillOut Classic Hostel & Cafe Reviews from the Web