Paddy's Palace Belfast

Located a comfortable fifteen-minute walk south of the the city centre, and only five minutes from the university, Paddy's Palace Belfast is well located for visiting the city. One of the growing Paddy's Palace chain, a good proportion of the guests at any one time are part of a Paddywagon tour, ensuring that the hostel is always lively.

Whilst the location makes the hostel reasonably easy to find, the lack of any signage with the name "Paddys Palace" is somewhat confusing. The central location gives easy access to a number of nightspots in the immediate area, though finding somewhere to eat can be a little more difficult.

Typical of older buildings, the rooms are high ceilinged and with adequate windows and ventilation, though not all windows are shielded by curtains. Steel-framed bunks and decent quality mattresses provide comfortable bedding, though no lockers and very little storage space are provided. Common areas consist of a moderate sized TV room (with a less than moderately sized TV), a reasonably well equipped kitchen, an eating area, and a computer area featuring free internet (but only one functioning computer). Overall, this hostel is not one suited for having an entertaining night at home.

The hostel has recently been renovated, but the bathrooms, whilst adequate and clean, are not the most pleasant. Water pressure varies from shower to shower, with those on the lower level having the best pressure. As part of the renovations, the entire interior has been painted an unusual shade of green.

It must be noted that we returned to our room after midnight to find an unknown backpacker sleeping in our bed, and that all our belongings had been heaped in the middle of the floor. Management had left it to another guest to inform us that because two new arrivals wanted to be in the same room, we had to move our belongings to another room. When confronted the next morning, the duty manager failed to see why this was a major issue -- customer service may not be a high priority.

June 2007

How is Paddy's Palace Belfast rated on other websites?
Paddy's Palace Belfast Reviews from the Web
4   Very friendly and neat Very friendly and informative, I also took the Paddywagon tour for a day which was great!!!  , Indian ()
4   Don't let one bad review spoil it I stayed here and it was nothing like what the other reviews said it was. The building has a really cosy, homey atmosphere and the staff treat you like one of the family. Anybody who is expecting to be treated like a prince or princess will be rightly disappointed. It's for down to earth people, real travelers. It's best for solo travelers or small groups as the layout works best for single people to sit around and meet and get to know each other. During my stay the staff took out various guests or shared their beer with them -- male guests especially! The bathrooms are all new and the shower pressure was fine. They were seriously the best showers I have come across (in terms of temperature and pressure) in my whole three months of backpacking. Try it out for yourself. I will definitely be visiting here again when I return to Belfast.  , Australia ()
1  I stayed there for a week as I moved to Belfast for a while. I read all the reviews and even had been recommended to the place by reputable hostels and the contrast I felt was quite disturbing. The managers and staff act like they are Frat boys and that is not a compliment. The "service" level you experience as a male traveler is pitiful. If your a guy and check in there and wonder where all the single woman are, there out drinking with the staff. They don't hardly invite male guests out with them. One night I was chatting with a nice Canadian girl who got invited out by the staff and she invited me out with her and the staff. The last male staff member to leave for the bar that night practically threw a tantrum and stomped out. Leaving me there as she left behind him to see what was wrong. Great night that was. Real nice, it's like staying at a YMCA. That was not an isolated incident. I could not recommend this place to females. Overall the staff treat people extremely poor. A great example, one night a group of people checked who did not speak english. One nice girl came down and asked for towels and the guy "working" (I think he's just friends with the owner and manager) just blew her off by saying the office was closed. The laundry room was just down the hall. I thought he could at least get up and offer them towels if only to collect 1.50 they charge per towel. Oh well, those eight people did not need to shower anyway. People come to the door and they greet them by saying things like what do you want? The fact that they are wearing a backpack and entering a hostel might give them a clue? I eventually left and went to another hostel for three months where I met a handful of people who stayed at Paddy's after being mistreated. The worst or best example (depending on your view point) I can think was a nice oz nurse who said that one of the male staff members made a crude joke about having another nice australian girl to jump on after they come home from the bar. If I could pause here and just say I know the guy was kidding, he was not trying to be threatening. But common on, how immature can you get? Several people in the hostel I was living checked into Paddy's one week after the one I was in shut down for a few days. Everybody was throughly disgusted by the staff and left after a few days. Two guys who became friends of mine later, knocked on the door once to ask about long term rates. The guy who answered said they did not offer long term rates and slammed the door in his face. True story. If you check in as a group, the place would be ok. If you're there with your group and have fun. Everyone else stay away, there are better hostels in Belfast. If they're booked, check into a hotel.  , Canadian ()
4  Had a great time. We were celebrating the 60th birthday of a friend so there was a good mixture of ages from 35 up to 65. The 6 bed dorms we had were fine, clean, and tidy. The beds were really comfy, new mattresses by the look of them and they had protection sheets on. Bathrooms were clean and showers were ok, the water went a bit cold by the time the first 9 ladies had finished. I made sure I was first the next day. We stayed 2 nights and the staff were great and very accommodating. Can't complain about any noise we heard, although I do seem to remember being told to shut up as we were a bit rowdy. Sorry if we kept anyone awake!!! Would definitely stay again.  ()
3  This hostel has friendly staff and is clean. It's not the best place, but not the worst. But if you need to book a bed and you can't find another one in Belfast, I'd recommend it.  ()