Dunes Backpackers Lodge

Dunes Backpackers Lodge is a good choice for travelers who like to stay near the beach and all the activities in the town. It has nice common areas and a really cool indoor pool and bar. It is a popular stop for overland truck tours, with a constant stream of new people arriving. It is very social and a good place to meet people.

This hostel has an excellent location. It is close to the ocean, shops, and travel booking centers. Swakopmund has a lively adventure vibe and evening activities in the town that are an easy walk from the hostel.

The Dunes has twin bed rooms, and four-, six- and ten-bed mixed dorms with most being ensuite. The bigger dorm rooms are a bit cramped.The best rooms are the four-bed dorms. The beds are comfortable and clean, but there is not much personal space. There are no lockers provided, so guests should have their own locks for their gear. The hostel could use more bathrooms -- when the hostel is full, there is sometimes a wait.

There is a bar and lounge for socializing and an indoor pool that is a great place to hang out. This hostel is popular with the overland truck crowd, so it is often quite crowded. For a good time this is a place to stay since it is very social. There isn't a kitchen for guest use. The pool/bar seems to be the social spot but there is also a lounge with a television and videos.

Summary

This hostel has a great location near the beach. However, extra charges can add up since there seems to be an extra charge for most things like laundry and internet -- these things can be found cheaper in town. Also, it seems to be a smoker-friendly place. There is a tour desk at reception but their tours are much more expensive than ones located in the town.

Review by S. Topf

January 2009

How is Dunes Backpackers Lodge rated on other websites?
Dunes Backpackers Lodge Reviews from the Web
1   Overpriced and Dirty The only thing going for this place is the location. My girlfriend and I spent three nights here. we would have checked out after only 1 but there is a cancellation policy where you still have to pay for all nights you booked. A notice that was on full display in reception when we signed in -- you know you are at a bad place when you see that! We paid a substantial amount (by backpackers standards) for a twin on suite room. I say room as it was more like a prison cell, complete with horrible squeaky beds, with wafer thin duvets and a flat pillow each. The shower was tiny and dirty and no towels are provided. We also didn't have hot water for one day. The room also smelled and the general appearance of the place was dirty and unkempt. The website is totally misleading, the room we had looked NOTHING like the one photographed! The kitchen is small and very basic. If you like the idea of a bar by an inside swimming pool then you may just like the place, but for us we left as early in the morning as possible and only came back to the room to sleep. Never again!  , UK ()
1   Shoddy bathrooms and blarring music We booked into the Dunes and were very disappointed with the state of the bathrooms (no toilet seat and showers in a disgusting state) and music was blaring from the bar area. The internet pictures are deceiving. We did not take up the accommodation and on Christmas Eve looked for alternative accommodation, which contrary to being told that we would not find in Swakopmund at this time of year, we found excellent accommodation with breakfast included at reasonable rates. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS ESTABLISHMENT.  , South Africa ()
4   Pretty Good I liked this hostel, four of us had a room to ourselves with shower. The desk management tried to sell me a fishing trip, but a local told me the Russians and Chinese had fished out the waters to the point that they were barren. If they think they can take you for a sucker, you'll probably be taken. Swakopmund, overall, is a fun town to see.  , USA ()
1   Rip-off I spent there two days in August. They tried to charge me the already paid deposit when I was checking out. At that point the manager was also told on the phone in Afrikaans that I've been a difficult customer from the beginning. I also had to switch rooms and leave my stuff in their office during the day. Even getting the right change back from the office was hard. The accommodation itself is ok and I had a blast playing pool with the bartender and the security guard.  , Finland ()
5   Wonderful Owners Great food, location, and hospitality. I stayed here in July 2006. Really want to come back.  , Australian ()
5  Absolutely awesome place. Very friendly staff and everything you need when traveling -- bar, pool, free breakfast, washing facilities, internet, and the beach just down the road. Many good times will be had at Dunes. Be prepared for partying. Enjoy!  ()
5  A great welcome to Swakopmund. Very friendly. Jacu and Sharon do their very best to make you welcome. I live half way round the World from Swakopmund but I have a feeling I will be coming back.  ()
5  One of the best!!! The staff here are wonderful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The pool is something else!!  ()