Utah International Hostel

A hostel to stay at when the other ones are all full or when you're looking for the cheapest option. It's located about a mile from the temple in the center of town. It's close to some fast food restaurants along W North Temple and it's several blocks from an area with a lot of clubs, but otherwise the location isn't ideal since it's in a mostly industrial area. The only good things about the location are that it's close to the interstate and the airport. It's also located along the railroad tracks with trains running all night, so it's not the best choice for light sleepers.

The hostel has a common area with couches and a TV. There's also a small kitchen. The dorm rooms have sturdy wooden-frame beds, but they're packed in close together so there isn't much open space. Lockers are available but there are more beds than lockers so you may not get one if you arrive late. If you don't get a locker it's advisable to leave your backpack in the reception office or a secure place. It's reasonably clean, but the overall condition of the hostel is a little below average.

The age range of guests is diverse, but there tends to be more older people than you normally would expect at a youth hostel. They also allow locals to stay for an unlimited amount of time, so there are more than a few locals who seem to be using the hostel as a makeshift residence.

by David
How is Utah International Hostel rated on other websites?
Utah International Hostel Reviews from the Web
3   Ok for the price Very old and unmaintained. Patch work everywhere and the smell is not from this planet. On the plus side, sheets were nice and clean and the staff were friendly. Make sure you wear sandals everywhere. Although the area looks skeptical it was safe to roam around.  , age 34, USA ()
1   Long Stay When there it didn't look as nice. There was only one person working there and she never had any time off. She left after taking one day off Thanksgiving as was docked for doing so.  , USA ()
4   Good for the price. Me and girlfriend slept in a 2 bed room. A little noisy with the railroad tracks near by, but not intolerable. It was a little hard to find but well worth the search. The sheets were soft and the manager provided extra blankets upon request, the pillows were crunchy so bring your own. All I needed was cash and my ID, no nazi NWO credit card only bullcrap. I'll stay here again when I'm in the area.  , USA ()
4   Pretty Good Place I come up to Utah almost every month to stay for couple of days. The Manager is really nice, place is clean, and It's not that far from the mall. Every nice people there.  ()
4   Pretty awesome I stayed here last year and found it very nice. The staff was great. close to everything I needed. I plan on staying there again soon. It's close to Amtrak and Greyhound.  , united states ()
4   Great! I stayed at the hostel a year ago and I came back just recently. The hostel has had a lot of upgrades and made the stay better. There is nice hospitality and the management team is great. I felt comfortable and safe. It is very clean and neat. It is also very close to all major attractions. Especially close to the shopping center "Gateway Mall." Gateway mall was cool. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.  , England ()
4   Good value for money I stayed for one night at the end of a business trip and was far more impressed than I expected based on other comments on this site. I had a private room (with key) which was a decent size, clean, and had its own fridge and TV in it. All the staff were very friendly and the owners gave me a lift to the airport the day I left. The location is ok, about a twenty-minute walk to the mall over a bridge next to the freeway but there are also buses that go into downtown. I wouldn't have done the walk late at night though. I did have a laptop with me but you can hire a laptop if you don't have your own to use the Wi-Fi. All in all, I've stayed in much worse places.  , UK ()
1   Only as a last resort. This place is a dump. I showed up and had a choice to pay with a credit card or cash. credit card would be more expensive so I asked if they'd hold my bed while I went to the cash machine and ran some errands. The manager said there would be no problem, they would hold my bed. He showed me the room, I left my pack and went out. I came back that night around 10pm and I was informed they had rented the bed to someone else. Nice. So when I asked if I could use my laptop to look for another place I was told that if I didn't get off the property right now they would call the police and have me arrested. WTF??? So I walked down the street and found a cheap motel. so dont bother staying at this --- or any hostel in Salt Lake City! If it's just one person traveling, splurge and stay at a motel. and if it's you and someone else it's cheaper to stay at a motel!  , US ()